If you have decided to let your baby sleep in their own space, especially as they get older, you will want them to have cozy, soft, and safe crib sheets to make them feel comfortable. But crib sheets can also look good, too, because we all love to have an Instagram-worthy nursery.
The type of fabric you decide on for your crib sheets may depend on the climate in your location, the season, and your personal style. There are plenty of brands to choose from, but one thing is the common denominator- you want to ensure that the crib sheets you choose for your child’s crib are safe.
Types of Fabrics for Crib Sheets
There are several different options in terms of fabrics for crib sheets. The type of fabric you choose may depend on the season, the climate in your location, your preference, or even your baby’s preference. Baby crib sheets often have the options of the following materials:
- Cotton– The most common fabric, cotton is breathable and soft but often takes the most energy and the most water to produce.
- Muslin– Muslin is a type of cotton that is produced with an open weave, making it softer than traditional cotton. This fabric cannot usually be dyed with bright colors because of the open weave, so you are more likely to find neutral or pastel-type designs with muslin cotton sheets.
- Fleece– Fleece is another type of cotton that is often used for colder climates as it retains heat better than regular cotton. Many babies enjoy the feel of fleece cotton and it is common to use these style sheets during the fall and winter.
- Bamboo– Bamboo is a relatively new fabric textile used for clothing and sheets but it is becoming increasingly popular. It is one of the most sustainable fabrics and uses the least amount of energy and water to produce. Bamboo is also more easily reproduced compared to cotton. It is cooling, breathable, and extremely soft.
- Synthetic blends– The most affordable crib sheets are synthetic blend crib sheets. However, they are often produced with cotton that has been infested with herbicides and pesticides, or using synthetic fabrics that are harmful to the sensitive skin of your little one. Synthetic fabrics also use a large amount of energy and water to produce, harming the environment around us.
The Importance of Eco-Friendly or Organic Fabrics for Your Baby’s Crib Sheets
Although it can be tempting to simply buy the cheapest and cutest crib sheets off the shelf at your local Target, they are often not made with the highest quality fabrics or made in the most eco-friendly way. Using textiles that are organic and that have specific certifications to designate that they are certified organic and produced in environmentally friendly ways is not only safe for your little ones but also better for the environment.
There are several dangers in synthetic fabrics. These dangers are not good for anyone, but they are especially dangerous for babies whose respiratory systems and immune systems are not fully developed. In addition, babies have extremely sensitive skin and many commercially made crib sheets are made with synthetic fabrics that can irritate their skin. Some of the dangers of synthetic fabrics include:
- Hormonal dysfunction
- Immunity harm
- Behavioral problems
- Skin irritations
In addition to the personal health and wellness risks associated with synthetic fabrics, they are also harmful to the environment. Some of the most common fabrics are not recyclable and do not biodegrade. Rayon is made petroleum and is non-biodegradable, synthetic products made with this fabric take a long time to decompose, creating long-term pollution. Nylon is hard to recycle, making them hard to decompose and accumulate landfills more. Synthetic products also are difficult to produce, using large amounts of energy and water as well as filling our skies with pollutants from production.
Even using non-synthetic fabrics that are not made with organic standards are not safe to use as most of these fabrics are filled with pesticides and herbicides. You should always make sure that the products you are purchasing for your little one are certified organic.
Crib Safety Tips
If you have your child sleeping alone in their crib it is important to keep in mind some crib safety tips to ensure that your little one is safe while sleeping in their crib:
- No loose articles like blankets– Loose blankets, pillows, or toys could prevent breathing and cause suffocation or choking especially if your baby is under 18 months old.
- Use a swaddle or sleep sack– If your baby is younger than 5 months old, you can use a swaddle to keep them comfortable and warm. Once your baby has reached 5 months old, or has learned to roll over, you can switch to a sleep sack to be used in place of a loose blanket.
- No pillows– Babies vertebrae aren’t as developed as adults, and they do not need pillows at a young age. Pillows can cause suffocation in young children and babies and should never be placed in a crib.
- Don’t prop them using rolled up blankets– Many parents try to prevent their little ones from rolling over by placing a propped up blanket next to them. This is not safe as a blanket can become undone and cause suffocation.
- No bumpers– Some parents like to use bumpers because they prevent little ones from getting their arms and legs stuck in the crib slats. However, bumpers can cause suffocation if your little one gets their face pressed up against it can not roll back over. If you feel the need to use something to protect them from getting their arms and legs stuck in the crib, use a mesh bumper instead.
- Keep baby in the room with you until at least 6 months old– Research has found that keeping your baby in your room with you, whether in a crib or by co-sleeping safely, helps to prevent Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. It is recommended that you do not transfer your baby to their own room until at least this age.
Best Organic Crib Sheets to Keep Your Baby Snuggly at Night
The Natemia Organic Turkish Cotton Crib Sheets are made from 100% certified organic Turkish cotton. They are soft, light, and breathable jersey cotton sheets that will feel soft and cozy against your babies sensitive skin. They are Global Organic Textile Standard certified and completely hypoallergenic so they will not irritate even the most sensitive of baby’s skin. They fit all standard size cribs with deep pockets and elastic bands that help prevent the crib sheet from slipping off and creating a potentially unsafe sleeping environment for your little one.
Natemia Organic Turkish Cotton Crib Sheets are washable and highly durable, so they can be washed over and over again without losing shape. In fact, they get softer with every wash. You will soon be wishing they made Natemia Organic Turkish Cotton Crib Sheets came in a size for your bed.
We always love looking for the bees on Burt’s Bees Baby products, and the Burt’s Bees Baby Fitted Crib Sheet is no different. Made with 100% organic Global Organic Textile Standard certified cotton, these crib sheets are breathable and cozy. They come with their BEESNUG 360 Degree premium elastic with extra stretch that provides a safer, snugger fit around the crib mattress so you don’t have to worry about the crib sheet slipping up and creating a potentially dangerous sleeping environment for your little one.
The Burt’s Bees Baby Fitted Crib Sheet comes in a variety of colors, designs, and prints giving you plenty of options to choose from for your little one’s nursery.
The Kids n Such Jersey Cotton Crib Sheets are made with 100% organic jersey-knit cotton making them unbelievably soft and cozy for your little one to sleep on. They come in a pack of two, so you will always have a clean sheet ready to go in case of nighttime accidents. They also have a deep 9-inch pocket so they are easy to put on. That, coupled with the 360 degrees elastic, helps prevent the sheets from slipping off the crib mattress at night endangering your little one with loose articles. They come in a variety of colors and styles, so you can choose the one that best fits your personal style and your child’s nursery style. The Kids n Such Jersey Cotton Crib Sheets also have a 10,000 wash guarantee, ensuring that you will have soft and comfortable sheets for your baby for as long as they are in their crib.
Mosa Creations Organic Jersey Cotton Crib Sheets are made with 100% organic Global Organic Textile Standard certified jersey cotton. They are super soft and lightweight, helping your baby to sleep all night long. They fit most standard sized crib mattresses and toddler mattresses, too. They are designed to be totally durable and machine washable so you can quickly change out the sheets in case of an overnight accident. They won’t lose their shape and they will continue to get softer with each wash.
The Mosa Creations Organic Jersey Cotton Crib Sheets are also gender-neutral designed so you don’t place unnecessary gender standards on your little one or so that you can use it for future siblings no matter if they are a boy or a girl. These soft and sweet crib sheets will give your little one a comfortable place to sleep all night long.
Are you looking for a modern and trendy crib sheet to match your nursery? This amazingly beautiful TEALBEE Baby Organic Cotton Crib Sheet is made for those families who are looking for on-trend nursery decor. Their simple, modern, and clean designs are a favorite among parents and the unisex designs mean it can be used for years to come with siblings.
The TEALBEE Baby Organic Cotton Crib Sheet is made with organic jersey-knit cotton, which means they are incredibly soft. They are also a great option for babies with sensitive skin. They are durable and long-lasting even after hundreds of washes. They even continue to get softer after each wash! They fit all standard sized mattresses with deep 9” pockets to prevent the crib sheet from slipping off and creating a potentially dangerous sleeping environment for your little one.
The TEALBEE Baby Organic Cotton Crib Sheet is responsibly made, earning a Global Organic Textile Standard certification. They are, therefore, free from any harmful chemicals or pesticides. It is a great option for trendy, eco-conscious families.
One of the most popular brands known for their super-soft fabrics and baby products is aden & anais. These Aden by aden + anais Classic Cotton Muslin Crib Sheets are made with 100% cotton muslin. They have gorgeous prints for boys and girls, or gender-neutral designs. They are extremely breathable and cool, yet still cozy, and are perfect for the summer months or for warmer climates. Muslin fabric, in fact, is designed with an open weave that allows for airflow keeping baby warm in the winter and cool in the summer providing year-round comfort.
The Aden by aden + anais Classic Cotton Muslin Crib Sheets fit standard sized cribs and are durable. They continue to get softer with every wash, and will easily match your nursery decor and style.
The Magnolia Organics Fleece Fitted Crib Sheet is made with Global Organics Textile Standard certified cotton fleece that is perfect for the winter months or cold climates. It is produced without the use of pesticides & herbicides, it is made with Azo-free dyes and no heavy metals. Magnolia Organics uses fair labor spinning, milling, sewing, and packaging. The Magnolia Organics Fleece Fitted Crib Sheet resists piling and holds its shape even over several washes.
Fleece sheets are often a favorite among babies, especially in the winter months as it keeps them cozy and warm. The Magnolia Organics Fleece Fitted Crib Sheet does just that, making your little feel like they are sleeping on a soft fluffy cloud. They fit standard cribs and have a deep 9 inch pocket to ensure that the crib sheet won’t slip off over the mattress. They are machine washable and continue to retain their softness even after several washes.
The Addison Belle Organic Cotton Fitted Crib Sheet is made from Global Organics Textile Standards certified 100% organic cotton. It is made with non-toxic reactive dyes so even the brightly colored images and designs are safe for your baby. The sheets are breathable, lightweight, and soft to the touch so your little one will be sure to love the feel of their new crib sheets. They even continue to get softer as you wash them.
The Addison Belle Organic Cotton Fitted Crib Sheet fits all standard crib mattresses with a 60-degree inseam elastic band for a snug fit. The tightly woven percale weave is stronger than muslin and other traditional crib sheets, too. These crib sheets are unique in that they have bright colored designs that you and your little ones will love.
Flannel crib sheets are a great option to have for cold winter nights, cool fall evenings, or if you live in a cold climate. These Naturepedic Organic Cotton Flannel Crib Sheet are made with 100% organic cotton flannel and fit standard sized cribs. Your little one will love snuggling up to these warm, soft, and cozy sheets at night.
The Naturepedic Organic Cotton Flannel Crib Sheet comes in a variety of neutral colors so you will be sure to find something that fits your baby nursery decor.
These adorable Pickle & Pumpkin Organic Crib Sheets are a favorite among on-trend parents who love modern nursery decor. They are Global Organic Textile Standard certified to be made with 100% organic jersey cotton that is produced without the use of pesticides or herbicides. They are also tightly sewn at 180 GSM, making them super soft, unbleached, and naturally hypoallergenic. They are perfect for those babies with sensitive skin.
Pickle & Pumpkin Organic Crib Sheets are pre-washed crib sheets that retain their shape even after being washed over and over again. They have a snug fit but have deep 9 inch pockets that prevent the crib sheet from slipping off the mattress. They are perfect options for eco-conscious families who want safe, clean, and organic crib sheets for their little one’s nursery.
Making sure your baby is safe while sleeping is every parent’s first priority. Having organic and eco-friendly crib sheets is just one way to do just that. Find the perfect crib sheet for your personal style, the climate in your location, and the current season with some of our suggestions above.
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.