Moming is hard. And moming with more than one kid is even harder. So whether you’re one and done or have seen that positive line more than a couple of times, we know you want to know what the best diaper bag for your needs is. We’ve asked moms what they recommended and checked out their suggestions. Here are the top 10 best diaper bags for moms.
Whether this is your first pregnancy and you’re having twins (or more), or you are just adding to your family, you will need a diaper bag that is not only functional but is also spacious, comfortable to wear, and stylish. Trust us….you will be carrying this puppy around everywhere so you want to make sure you love it.
There are a few things to consider when trying to find the best diaper bag for you and your growing family:
- Style and Designs
- Greatest Needs
Different Diaper Bag Styles
There are several different styles of diaper bags on the market. And truly, any bag you have can be made into diaper bag but with specially-made diaper bags you will have some unique features that fit the needs of a mom on-the-go. You also have to consider your personal style and your own need for the diaper bag. Here are some of the common diaper bag styles and designs you might come across in your search for a new diaper bag for your growing family:
- Backpack style– This helps to keep your hands free, so if you’re constantly finding yourself needing extra hands or going on adventures, this might be the way to go.
- Messenger bag style– Another popular option, the messenger bag slings over one shoulder, leaving your hands free. You are also able to quickly reach for items without having to take the whole bag off.
- Tote– This is a common style for a mom who doesn’t want to look like she’s always carrying a diaper bag.
Diaper Bag Colors
Color might not seem to be important when it comes to a diaper bag, and is often a person’s personal preference. But it can be helpful to look for diaper bags that not only meet your personal style but also don’t show all the mess all of the time.
- Dark brown and black are great options if you are constantly moving. Diaper bags can get gross pretty quickly, but if you are shoving it under a stroller or taking it on hikes or on nature walks, you might want something that is darker to hide the dirt.
- Lighter colors look great, especially if you are just taking the diaper bag from the car to the house a few times per day. They are usually quite seasonal, though, so your lilac diaper bag, although gorgeous, might not work for the winter months.
- Grey is a good option if you want something a little lighter but still able to hide the dirt. A cute design can make all the difference between “blah” and “wow.”
Diaper Bag Features You Might Need
Any bag in your closet can be made into a diaper bag, but there are certain features that many diaper bags have that your regular purses might not that are crucial to a mom’s success outside the house with her little ones. And if you are looking for a new bag to hold enough stuff for more than one child, you want to be sure you have enough space to hold everything and pockets to keep everything organized. Here are some important features to look out for when choosing your next diaper bag:
- Space– You want to be sure that your diaper bag is big enough to hold enough diapers, wipes, snacks, toys, and changes of clothes for your kids.
- Not too big– On the other hand, you also want to make sure that the diaper bag isn’t so big that you can’t wear it or that it takes up too much space in your Target shopping cart (your spouse might think that is a good thing though).
- Easy to clean– many diaper bags are made of a spill-proof material that makes it easy to clean with just water and mild soap. If you want something a little more classy and less diaper-bag-looking, you can always opt for vegan leather which is both easy to clean as well.
- Insulated bottle holders– If you are bottle-feeding your baby you might want to get a bag that has insulated pockets or an extra bottle holder. You can even use that spot for your older child’s sippy cup if you don’t need a bottle holder.
- Lots of pockets– Pockets are key when looking for a new diaper bag. If you just have one big open space for everything, things are bound to get lost. With pockets you can put things in all different spots- toys in one pocket, diapers in another, and a change of clothes in another.
- Easy-to-access wipes compartment– When spills happen you want your wipes to be RIGHT THERE instead of having to dig for them. A wipe compartment that sits on the outside of your diaper bag is often very helpful.
- Keyholder– Crying baby in the rain and digging for your car keys is no fun. Many diaper bags often have a key holder for pacifiers or keys. Both are crucial.
- A specific place for your phone– One thing moms always have but somehow always lose in their diaper bag is their phone. One of the pockets of your diaper bag should be a place for your phone to go. Just make sure you actually use it.
- Comfortable straps– If you’re going to be wearing this bag for a better part of the day or at least during all your outings, you want it to be comfortable. Nothing is worse than having your backache in pain or your shoulder hurt because of your heavy and non-ergonomic diaper bag.
- Stroller straps- If you plan to use a stroller at least some of the time, a diaper bag with stroller straps is a good idea. This allows you easy access to your bag when it’s on the stroller and gives your back and shoulders a break from carrying all the weight.
Greatest Needs for Your Diaper Bag
Now that you have all the things you want in a diaper bag it is time to find the bag that is right for you. The best way to start narrowing down your search is to figure out what is more important to you in a new diaper bag.
- Do you need something that is purely functional?
- Do you plan on taking lots of adventures or are you keeping it pretty low key?
- Do you need something that both mom and dad can carry?
- Is the style or function more important to you?
- What do you need to take out with you on a daily basis?
- Do you want something that will last well past the baby phase?
- Are you looking for something you can use even when you don’t have the baby with you?
- Are eco-friendly materials and sustainable production practices important to you when choosing a diaper bag?
- Do you need something that will hold stuff for more than one child at a time?
Once you have figured out your greatest needs in a diaper bag you can start your search for the perfect bag that fits your style and needs.
Top Ten Best Diaper Bags for Moms
Here are our favorite diaper bags of the season that fit families with one kid or those with multiples. These diaper bags are popular, functional, and affordable. Scroll down if you are looking for diaper bags that are a little more eco-friendly and find our top 5 eco-friendly diaper bags.
This backpack diaper bag is not only functional, but its also cute. The mix-matching patterns are stylish and trendy, so much so that it’s often sold out! It boasts over 10 different pockets including a large inner pocket, insulated bottle pockets, and several interior pockets to keep everything organized. It also has a key ring and a small top pocket for sunglasses or your phone. This backpack also opens up completely so you can easily access what you need fast.
This tote can also be styled into a messenger bag, making it functional and stylish. The large exterior pockets make it easy to grab whatever you need, fast, while the huge interior pocket ensures that you have enough space for everyone’s things. The cute stroller clips make it easy to take along with you, too.
This cute and stylish diaper bag is both a swing tote and a backpack. The bright pink color is on trend for this summer, but it isn’t missing anything in functionality. It has three insulated bottle pockets in the front, along with a huge pocket in the back to hold formula or breastmilk, snacks, and toys. It also has an external wipes compartment and several more pockets in the interior of the bag. It is surprisingly affordable, too, so you might want to get one in several colors for different seasons!
Another cute backpack option, this diaper bag doesn’t even look like a diaper bag. The grey with brown accents makes you feel a little more adult-ish, and it is easy to carry on your back. The backpack itself has three different slots to be able to keep yourself a little more organized, as well as an insulated front pocket for bottles and sippy cups. There is also a small back pocket for diapers and wipes, giving you easy access to the things you need more.
Like the other diaper bag backpacks, this one from Upsimples has every pocket you need, including one in the back for easy access to diapers, wipes, a change of clothes, or formula. It also has three bottle pockets in the front and a spacious interior for everything you need. What it has that other diaper bags don’t though? A USB port to charge your phone. This diaper bag actually helps you keep your phone charged even when you’re on the go. That’s convenience you appreciate in this day and age.
If backpacks aren’t your thing you may want to consider this tote from JJCole. It can be worn on the shoulder or as a messenger bag. It has a few exterior pockets and six interior pockets along with a large center to hold everything you might need. This is a perfect bag for quick trips out or to drop off with grandma or at daycare.
This duffel-style bag is perfect for dads. It doesn’t look too feminine and it can double as an “I wish I was at the gym” bag. The large inner pouch has several pockets for all of baby’s things, as well as big brother and big sister’s stuff, and can be worn messenger style, hooked to the stroller, or simply in your hand.
If you are looking for a diaper bag that doesn’t actually look like a diaper bag, then this tote from PROCHEL is definitely for you. The trendy stripes make it look like anything but a diaper bag. But it still functions as a diaper bag, giving you plenty of pockets, an insulated bottle bag, and a changing pad for all your baby’s needs. It offers plenty of space for your big kid’s stuff right alongside your baby’s stuff.
Tote or backpack? If you can’t decide, this boxy tote and backpack combination is the perfect blend between the two. It has a large underside pocket that gives you space for a change of clothes or extra diapers that aren’t needed all the time, while the large pouch above offers plenty of space for everyday necessities. The ergonomic backside makes it comfortable to wear, too. It isn’t too big, so its a great option for moms who have older big siblings and children who don’t need much.
This lightweight tote is easy to carry, especially if you are just keeping it minimal. Its large interior pocket has seven extra spots for keys, bottles, and toys. It is easy-to-clean and the floral print is perfect for spring. It has several exterior pockets including a quick-reach cell phone pocket and a key pocket- both of which are clutch for a busy mom.
Top 5 Eco-Friendly Diaper Bags
If you’re looking for a diaper bag that is cute, stylish, functional, and good for the environment, then you may want to check out our list of eco-friendly diaper bags. These diaper bags are made from sustainable sources such as recycled water bottles and vegan leather.
Eco-friendly and eco-conscious products are the way to go. Fast fashion using synthetic materials are damaging to the environment in both the cultivation and production processes. Finding something that is designed from sustainable materials (and bonus points if it has been produced in a sustainable way like zero or neutral carbon emissions, neutral carbon packaging, and giving fair wages to workers) will not only help the environment, but it will also let you know that as you take care of our future leaders you will also be helping the world in which they will one day live.
When looking for an eco-friendly diaper bag, these are some of the things you should look for:
- Sustainable materials such as:
- Vegan leather
- 100% cotton
- Organic materials
- Recycled plastic
- Neutral Carbon packaging or recyclable packaging
- Companies that offer sustainable and eco-friendly production processes
- Phthalate-and BPA-free materials
It can be hard to find truly eco-friendly and sustainable diaper bags that fit your style, budget, and your needs but we have done our best to come up with five eco-friendly diaper bags we think you’ll love!
This traditional style backpack diaper bag from Skip Hop is one of the most eco-friendly backpacks on that you’ll find on the market. It’s made from 100% recycled plastic water bottles, letting you know that you’re doing your part in helping reduce, reuse, and recycle. The large inner pocket gives plenty of space for things like diapers, toys, and snacks, and the inside is secretly roomy with six pockets including two hidden water bottle pockets. The adjustable backpack straps make it easy to wear all day long, and the neutral color pattern and design make it cool for dads, too. It also has stroller straps for an easy carry while you’re out and about.
This sleek-looking diaper bag is anything but harmful to our furry friends. It is made with vegan leather, but the soft outer shell looks classic and sophisticated. It has seven outer pockets- one in the front and two water bottle pockets on the side, as well as a small slip pocket on the front and a slip pocket in the back. The large inner pocket gives you plenty of space with- count them- 9 additional pockets on the inside. The SoHo Jackson Vegan Leather Diaper Bag is cute, sleek, classic, and sophisticated all while giving you plenty of room to organize. It comes in white, black, and pastel pink.
This is not a traditional diaper bag but we love it all the same. The Maha Bodi All-Natural Hemp Made Backpack is designed from Himalayan hemp and heavy-duty cotton. Handmade in Nepal, this awesome looking backpack is unique from others like it and all designs are a bit different than others. It has traditional Nepali design and stitchwork, making it a quick favorite of yours. It can be used as a diaper bag, a travel bag, or a school bag as your child grows older.
This vegan leather diaper bag backpack is super trendy and sophisticated and is designed to look different than other diaper bag backpacks. The KILAMAL diaper backpack isn’t bulky and it is lightweight at only a little over 1.5 pounds when empty. The vegan leather is easy to clean when you have spills, and the roomy design gives you more than enough space to keep everything together and organized. It can be worn as a backpack or a shoulder bag with the additional accessory strap attached. It is functional, stylish, and eco-friendly. We love this grey, white, and mustard yellow design but it also comes in a classic black.
The Greenwich Simply Chic Diaper Tote from Skip Hop is a vegan leather diaper bag that offers laidback luxury that is stylish and functional. It comes in earth-tone colors like this smoke grey so you can wear it with just about anything. It has ten pockets, including an interior zip pocket and two insulated front pockets. The adjustable cross-body strap gives you an opportunity to wear it however you’d like, and the stroller straps make it easy to place it on your stroller when you’re on the go. It includes a cushioned changing pad. It is also phthalate-free.
Whether you are on your first child or your fifth child, you will know how important diaper bags are for your daily life. Next to your child, it is the one thing that you will always have with you no matter where you go for the next several years. You want to make sure the diaper bag you choose is functional for your needs but also stylish. Good luck in your search!
Photo: KPG Ivary/Shutterstock
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.