Mothering Forum banner

Master Grocery List?

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Denvergirlie 
#1 ·
Do any of you use/have a master grocery list that has all of the basic food staples that should always be on hand? Would you mind posting yours?
:
Just getting into/learning meal planning. We now get only a monthly paycheck, & I'm determined to shop smart this 15th, as we have to shop for the month.

See less See more
#2 ·
We eat so many different things I don't have a master list! We try to plan out a few weeks at a time so I could use the grocery lists from those if I had to, but no master list. That's a good idea though if you have a regular menu, sounds like a plan!

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamonds4Eva View Post
I don't have a physical master list. There are things I get all the time like bread, milk, eggs, etc.
This is what I mean. I can usually remember the basics, but sometimes I forget crucial things. Just the staples to always have in the pantry. Like flour, sugar, beans, rice, pasta, etc.
Does anyone know of or have a master list of these type things?

#4 ·
I created mine by just standing in front of my pantry and writing things down. Ditto the baking/spice cabinets. I then walked through the store with the list one day and jotted down things as I got to them. I have three sections. One for the regular grocery store, one for Trader Joe's (about 45 miles away), and one for Costco. I can print a list and go through the cabinets and my menus and check for overlap. I've seen lists available on sites like Better Homes and Gardens (bhg.com) or orgainzedhome.com (I think that's it) but so often there's gobs of stuff I don't want and the lists are edit-able.

Oh, one other thing, if you've got the time (HA!) is to take a look at allrecipes.com. I'd guess other sites have similar features but I've only explored allrecipes. If you create an account, you can create and save shopping lists. You can click on "add to shopping list" when you find a recipe you want to make. It looks like it could really be useful but you'd have to take a few to set some things up and have a computer handy when you're working on meal planning/grocery list making.

Good luck!

#5 ·
There was a cool link posted here not too long ago with a huge list. But I can't find it now, maybe it was in Frugality and Finances...

Anyway, I just googled trying to find it and came up with this

http://heart4home.net/downloads/master_grocery_list.pdf

I used to do our own custom list, but lately I just keep a pad on the fridge and meal plan around weekly store sales.

Hope that helps, Amanda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.