3Likes
  • 1 Post By ian'smommaya
  • 2 Post By JamieCatheryn

#1 of 6 Old 04-14-2015, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Confused about raised garden beds

Because we live in an apartment, we have not had a garden before. We have been member of our local CSA for years, but this year I wanted to try and do a balcony veggie garden. We've planted our organic seedlings in small boxes and have kept them indoors. Soon we will plant them outside on the balcony.

My idea was to put a raised garden bed out there and then transfer the tiny plants over when it gets warmer. But I'm so confused because most of the raised garden beds DO NOT come with bottoms! They are wide open underneath, so the soil would just be going onto the balcony wood which Im sure is full of all kinds of toxic yuckies!

This question might sound dumb, but I've seen so many photos of raised garden beds on balconies. Im wondering - do any come with a bottom? Ive googled like crazy looking for the answer! Please help! I have to decide soon or my little seedlings might not make it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Mama to
DS 6/08 and DS
9/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-15-2015, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Seriously? 150 views and no one can help me? I realize Im a little strange - I have Aspergers - so maybe Im missing something. This isn't the first time I've come on here with a seemingly simple question and get no answers. So what am I doing wrong? Ive been a member of this forum for over 7 years. I would think I could get some help. Yes Im a gardening newbie - anyone?

Wife to
- Mama to
DS 6/08 and DS
9/11
#3 of 6 Old 04-15-2015, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Hi! The raised garden beds you've been seeing, the ones that are bottomless, are for putting directly onto the ground. They are basically a frame for the soil and plants. I believe you want a garden bed on stilts. They come with the bottom and legs attached so they can be used anywhere. Try searching for garden beds for people with arthritis.
Thing1Thing2 likes this.

mayamade soap + apothecary for family + home Now with Pleasant Perineum Sitz Bath

#4 of 6 Old 04-15-2015, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I think people usually use cardboard or newspaper if they are just dividing raised beds off from dirt. Why not build a box yourself with a bottom to it? It would be a rather simple design, and it'll be way way cheaper. I've also seen a clever simple trick, just slit open a few bags of garden soil, poke a few drainage holes, and plant in the bags.
ian'smommaya and Thing1Thing2 like this.
#5 of 6 Old 04-16-2015, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys - and the explanation for the empty bottom in the raised beds. It sounds strange that someone would use a box when they have an entire yard! I have seen the ones on stilts. I think one of those will work great for us!

JaimeCathryn - clever idea about the soil bags, but my 3 year old will destroy that in a matter of milliseconds!

Wife to
- Mama to
DS 6/08 and DS
9/11
#6 of 6 Old 04-17-2015, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
What about just traditional window box planters or containers? You can arrange them to best suit the foot print of the space, they're easy to move if you need to and you don't have to worry about about converting a bottom-less container. I gardened that way for years and it was great.

- my blog on small town homesteading.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page