Hoover Floormate - worthwhile? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 01-01-2004, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These have just been released over here and I wondered if anyone owns/uses one?

We have recently had laminate floors put through the entire house, getting rid of our filthy old carpet, partly for looks and partly to help our asthmatic oldest son. But they are SO much work to keep clean - carpet hides a multitude of sins. Apart from the constant sweeping, I find myself mopping daily because unfortunately this floor shows footprints which is driving me insane.

Anyway, I wondered if the Floormate really does a good job - does it vacuum thoroughly and is the washing function good. Does it save time and effort? They're about the cost of a top of the range vacuum cleaner here, so expensive. And of course they man in the shop says you can only use the recommended cleaner in them, but surely you could use water/vinegar or some other environmentally friendly cleaner.

Anyone's experience would be welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-02-2004, 11:11 AM

nak- me too! We're adding on and hoping to finish it in the next year. The addition will have wood floors and we're hoping to pull up carpet and restore the wood floors in the rest of the house (kitchen/bathroom have tile).

I think there was a thread about this in Diapering many moons ago, but I don't know if they were using Lysol or natural alternatives...
#3 of 16 Old 01-02-2004, 01:39 PM

Please do tell if you like the Hoover. I went the cheap way and got the Bissell Steam Mop for $60 and I hate the thing! It is a good concept but 1) it has no rollers so you have to push the thing with all of you strength, 2) the steam burns holes in the mop pad and they are $$$ to replace and hard to find, 3) you still have to sweep first.

I have 1300 sq feet of tile (half the house) and I am so frustrated with cleaning it! Lately, I have just given up and it just looks dirty.

My ds hates noise though so I probably could not even use the Hoover with him around!

UGGGGGGGG - I HATE CLEANING FLOORS!

#4 of 16 Old 01-03-2004, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

UGH - we have company tonight so I've just done the whole house. Its taken 1.5 hours to sweep throughout and then run the steam mop over, drying with a terry mop as I go. I usually vacuum not sweep, but the vacuum is being repaired because its choked up with all the concrete/tile dust from when we pulled up the carpets and ceramic tiles.

I've got to admit this floor (its merbau - a grainy mid red/brown) looks absolutely spectacular when its done, but the minute you walk on it, it shows footprints again. And it seems like anything, commercial cleaners leave residue that makes this even worse. We'll have to get area rugs I think to at least cut down on the dirt and footprints in the sitting areas. I'm a bit of a minimalist so I like the look of bare floors all the way through.

Of course, the minute the kids come inside it will all be for naught.
#5 of 16 Old 01-03-2004, 03:01 PM

nak
i love my floormate........ i use the lysol cleaner.
i have 2 kids, 2 cats and a dh construction worker. i have long hair, which i have to pick out of the cleaner, it gets stuck and collects dirt right at the 'inlet' part. other than that, its fantastic, sucks up the dirt well, except big pieces - like dry cat food, tht just gets pusjed around.
well worth buying in my opinion.
#6 of 16 Old 01-03-2004, 09:10 PM

I also was wondering... we are debating on just sealing the floor with tongue oil instead of polyurethane, would we be able to use the hoover on that?

We are getting tongue and groove random (varying widths) wood planking and installing and finishing it ourselves.

We are also debating whether to get poplar or oak... we know someone with a poplar floor that looks fantastic (we are getting from the same lumberyard) but I know it's softer than oak.

Either wood is cheaper than carpet would be too.
#7 of 16 Old 01-04-2004, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by busybusymomma
I also was wondering... we are debating on just sealing the floor with tongue oil instead of polyurethane, would we be able to use the hoover on that?

If I remember the instructions, it said the floor must simply be sealed - it didn't say HOW or with what.
#8 of 16 Old 01-05-2004, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chelly2003
If I remember the instructions, it said the floor must simply be sealed - it didn't say HOW or with what.
Okay, thanks! I did some more research and I think we're going to use OS Hardwax Oil since it is supposed to be as strong as polyerathane but no chemicals. Also more of a matte finish.
#9 of 16 Old 01-06-2004, 07:12 AM

hmmm... honestly, I have to give the opposite opinion. I have hardwood floors in my living room and dining room and textured linoleum in the kitchen. I borrowed my mom's Hoover Floormate one day to see if it would be worth purchasing and I decided definitely not for us.
I still had to sweep after using the vacuum feature because it did leave a lot behind. The washing feature was useless in the kitchen since the linoleum has a texture it didn't get out any of the dirt in the crevices, so after I used the floormate, I still had to go back and scrub the floor on my hands and knees with the good ole scrub brush in order to get it clean.:
The washing feature was all right in the living room, but yeah, the inlet part got clogged a couple times and I had to fill it I think twice just for the small space I had to clean (probably about 500 square feet if that). It certainly didn't clean any more efficiently than a mop but the clean up of the machine afterwards was such a pain that that alone would have turned me off.
So, my humble but honest opinion is that the machine did not save any time or effort...I will never ask to borrow it again, much less pay for one. But everyone is different, has different cleaning needs, and different things they look for...is there any way you could try one out by borrowing or some other means before committing to buy. Or maybe somebody offers a satisafction or your money back gurantee?
I will say that the big plus, and the reason my mother uses it is that she has some pretty serious back, neck, and hand problems and for her, it is much less stress on her body to push the Hoover around the wood floors on it's wheels than it is to sweep and mop and whatever else. So there is one benefit I can think over!
Hope that is helpful and not too negative!:
#10 of 16 Old 01-06-2004, 07:14 AM

Oh and as far as the sweeping goes, my mom also found that that Swiffer thing cut the amount of time and energy she spent sweeping way down. (She's got two Old English Sheepdogs-long hair everywhere!)
Good luck!
#11 of 16 Old 01-06-2004, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 13moons
Oh and as far as the sweeping goes, my mom also found that that Swiffer thing cut the amount of time and energy she spent sweeping way down. (She's got two Old English Sheepdogs-long hair everywhere!)
Good luck!
Hmm... does she use the wet jet thing or the regular swiffer? I've seen where some moms have bought microfiber cloths and used them with their swiffers, maybe I should try that.

If you don't mind sharing, how do you clean your wood floors? I don't have linoleum, but I mop my tile with hot water and a bit of vinegar.
#12 of 16 Old 01-06-2004, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 13moons
I still had to sweep after using the vacuum feature because it did leave a lot behind. The washing feature was useless in the kitchen since the linoleum has a texture it didn't get out any of the dirt in the crevices,
The washing feature was all right in the living room, but yeah, the inlet part got clogged a couple times and I had to fill it I think twice just for the small space I had to clean (probably about 500 square feet if that).
I've heard people having problems with textured floors, we luckily have all smooth tile and wood.
I do have to wipe down by hand the area's very close to the wall or fridge etc..... it can't get that close, I'd say a little less than an inch around the edges of my rooms.
I also use my regular vacumn if I have not cleaned in a while, or there is a lot of dirt and dust - like after the recent fires, around near the cat box and around the toilet - the floormate can't get into the little spaces, so I vacumn and clean them by hand.
I've also heard of people having to refill the tank, thats never happened to me, and I don't know why - I can clean my whole house (1,100 sf) on one tank of fluid.

I think it would be a great idea for those who are interested in one, to be borrow and try one out. (not mine, its still got hair in it!)

I often think to myself how NASTY my carpets in my old place must have been (we just vacumned once a week)............ EEEewwwwwwwww

(For those looking to buy one, check out the reviews on Amazon.com)
#13 of 16 Old 01-06-2004, 12:57 PM

Okay, here's the absolute best floor cleaning method I've found. We have hard floors in most of the house. I've hoped for some magic tool, but nothing has worked as well. Ready for my high-tech solution?

I sweep or vacuum. I put some water, Dr. Bronner's and vinegar in a spray bottle. I spray it onto the floor and let it soak a bit while I do another area. I use a wonderful microfiber mop (purchased at http://www.ecolovables.com/ ). The mop has a telescoping handle, so I can set it to just the right length to save my back. (I'm tall, so most mops and handled devices are too short for me and hurt my back. I can also make it short enough for my son, who thinks it's really fun to mop.)
I have several mop pads, so I can change them instead of having to rinse them so often. The microfiber leaves the floors pretty dry, so it doesn't take long for them to be done. Then I toss the pads in the washer. Cheap, easy.
#14 of 16 Old 01-06-2004, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the opinions ladies. I suspected it wouldnt really do any better a job than the old fashioned way and I think I'll stick with doing it manually. Because I can imagine that as with my steamer that I use for the bathrooms etc, you wont want to drag it out each and every time there's a little bit of sweeping to be done!

Even though its much more work I am SO glad the carpet has gone. You dont realise how filthy carpet really is until you actually see what builds up on a floor over the course of a day.

It must be much much healthier for our children.
#15 of 16 Old 01-06-2004, 10:40 PM

My mom just uses the dry Swiffer thing and it "grabs" a lot of stuff like hair, bigger things she can push into a pile like with a regular broom, but for her it picks up most of what they get on the floor.
I also clean my wood floors with water and sometimes some vinegar but I hate to mop because I always find something or two that I actually need to get down and scrub anyway.: (Why didn't anyone tell me they spilled apple juice on the floor behind the endtable and just sopped it up with a towel???)
So, I actually do the Cinderella thing and put water and vinegar in a spray bottle, grab some old cloth diapers and a towel and spray, clean, and dry as I go. I'm already cleaning the kitchen floor on my hands and knees so it's not that big a deal to di the rest of the space that way too. It takes a little while, but I'm always sure I got every thing clean and a lot of times my kids will each take a section too.

"Even though its much more work I am SO glad the carpet has gone. You dont realise how filthy carpet really is until you actually see what builds up on a floor over the course of a day."

I can't even tell you how many times I've said that to myself and other people! Really pretty nasty when you think about it...

#16 of 16 Old 01-07-2004, 02:59 AM

SoHappy~Thanks for the recommendation of a mop. Our last mop just died, and I've been looking for a better alternative. I'd like to try out your suggestion. Do you prefer one type of the pad versus the other? This is from the ecolovables site...

"You will receive 2 different pads, one labeled "wet" and one labeled "dry." The wet pad is a "scrubbier" terry and the dry pad is softer. I have found that both pads work equally well wet or dry."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page