Where do you buy a doubler broiler? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 01-06-2004, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've looked at Wallmart, Target, Kmart and a few thrift stores. And still haven't sound any. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for it because that would defeat my money saving purpose. How much is a normal price? and where have you ladies found yours? I want to use my for my newly found reciepes for lotions, balm, masks, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-06-2004, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know exactly what you are working with but my $0.02 is that an actual double boiler is a huge headache. My Mom had one. It was this twee little bowl that fit exactly on top of one of her small sauce pans. It was so hard to make sure you had the exact right level of water in the pan. If you have too much it will boil up and get in the double boiler. And in any case you are dealing with pressure from the boiling water as it turns to steam and expands... It's almost like it is designed to let water or steam into the bowl. A better bet is a bowl of either stainless steel or glass (depending on which surface is better suited to your project.) The bowl should have a diameter of several inches larger than your pot.

\ ................ / <<< Bowl
. \ ............ /
.. ----------
. | ........... |
. | ........... | <<<<< Pot
.. ----------

That way, steam flows away from the rim of the bowl and the top of the bowl is far removed from the water.
#3 of 3 Old 01-07-2004, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have anything fancy. I just use a really large pan and put a smaller pan inside it with the handle removed. You can put a fork or knife or whatever underneath the smaller pan to keep the direct heat off. HTH.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page