TJs discontinued my fave product, help me make my own version - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I went to Trader Joes yesterday and one of the things on my list is the Tangerine Sugar Scrub. I absolutely love it! It has all natural ingredients, sugar, and a few oils in it. I love that I can put it all over my body after I shave, rinse off and be so silky smooth and moisturized that I don't even need lotion.

Well it's been discontinued due to slow sales. I am sooooo sad! Do any of you make anything like this product for the shower? I don't even know what to use.

I am thinking of trying sugar and jojoba oil, but what else? I think there was vit e oil in it too. I didn't save the empty container bc I didn't think I would need to look at the ingredients.

TIA!

BTW, there were 2 dif kinds of salt scrubs but I have tried those before and it really hurts to use on my legs, armpits, etc after I have shaved. So why is it so popular?

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-09-2009, 07:37 PM

I don't have a recipe but wanted to address the salt scrub. Think about putting salt on a wound - hurts right? lol Even though you might not have cut yourself shaving, your skin has just had a razor run against it. The salt is going to sting. I used to do body scrubs with salt when I worked for a salon and we'd tell the women not to shave their legs for at least a day before hand.
Good luck with the sugar scrub. It sounds nice. I'd be interested in the recipe too!
#3 of 8 Old 08-10-2009, 01:45 AM

You might also want to check other TJ's. We were told that several products were discontinued only to find them across the river in another cities TJ's. We asked and they said that that store discontinued the item and that others still decide if they want to carry it or not. Silly to me as the stores are about 10 miles apart. lol

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#4 of 8 Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to try a dif TJs but it's the only one in our whole state so no go. They are planning to build another in the same big city but it isn't up yet.

Yeah, I totally understand about salt scrubs feeling horrible after shaving. That's why I don't get why there are 2 kinds at TJs and no one used the sugar scrub. Who uses that much salt?

I am going to try jojoba oil, sugar, vit e oil, and it also has sweet almond oil which I have never seen before but will look around for. I just miss being able to get it all done in the shower since after I get out I am dealing w/kids and never have time to even put lotion on.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#5 of 8 Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 AM

Sugar Scrubs are super easy!!! I like to use the two sugars TJs carries, I mix in the oils I want Jojoba and Olive are both great, Sweet Almond can be found in health food stores and is also wonderful! Add a bit of Vitamin E, then find some good essential oils. Watch as some citrus oils though as too much can make your skin photosensitive.

I just mix the sugars, add the vitamin E and essential oils stir to blend and then add the oil over the top. I don't like as much oil as you get with the store bought scrubs, so mine is much drier, but that is preference. Stir and then use.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#6 of 8 Old 08-11-2009, 10:28 AM

It's because salt is such a good exfoliant - at least that's what I was taught. Now I want to make a sugar scrub! lol
#7 of 8 Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 PM

Salt scrubs and Sugar scrubs both exfoliate, but they both work best for certain skin types. I find Salt way to drying for my skin, but the sugar is perfect, my DH who has oily skin tends to prefer the salt, but can use the sugar. It really is a preference thing. But the fact that sugar doesn't sting after shaving does score it a lot of extra points in my book!

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#8 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 07:20 PM

what kind of sugar do you use to make the sugar scrub?

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page