Natural treatment of yeast infection - Tea tree oil? - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By metafisica

#1 of 15 Old 07-24-2015, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Natural treatment of yeast infection - Tea tree oil?

Hello everyone!

I'm pregnant with my 1st child (10th gw). I had no idea candida goes so out of control during pregnancy, I've had yeast infections before, after antibiotics intake, but now it's worse than ever. The good thing back then was I could safely use oral medications, which is not the case now. The doctor I go to for my pregnancy consultations prescribed Mycomax orally (it's only available in Europe I think) with Fluconazole as its main ingredient. I came accross studies on the effects of Fluconazole during pregnancy and it didn't sound encouraging (read some daunting statistics about malformations and miscarriages).

I want to do my best and treat the infection with natural means. If I go and ask for a second opinion I'm sure the other doctor would prescribe something similar that some pharmaceutical company is paying him to promote (this is how things work here) and if I mention any alternative treatment they would probably laugh in my face. So, I've taken things into my own hands and now I've decided to try tea tree oil. I plan to put a few drops on a tampon and then leave it in overnight. Bought it today, but still got some concerns...There is info on some sites that it is not recommended during pregnancy, but nothing more specific. Has any of you tried it? Honestly, I'm so disappointed with my country's healthcare system, it is really refreshing to know that I could benefit from what you know and experience (so glad I studied English as a second language lol ) I would also greatly appreaciate any other non-medicational ways to cure yeast infection!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 08-19-2015, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Natural treatment of yeast infection - Tea tree oil?

I would be careful about using any essential oil internally, including on a tampon. First, you would need to dilute it & second the risk for serious irritation does not seem worth it to me.

There are certainly at least two things that I'd try first. First, the lowest impact thing that you can do is to get some plain yogurt up there, either by soaking a tampon or via suppository. The second thing I'd try is some coconut oil.

Both of these things will be much milder than TTO (tea tree oil).

I'd definitely also start some probiotics (orally, though you can also open a capsule & use as a suppository as well).

My last resort would be garlic, but I don't think I'd ever use TTO vaginally.

I had yeast infections during my pregnancies & usually yogurt & oral probiotics helped with coconut oil topically for soothing relief. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Last edited by t2009; 08-19-2015 at 12:23 PM.
#3 of 15 Old 08-19-2015, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
That sounds painful. And like you could wind up with some pretty unpleasant chemical burns.

A more traditional anti-fungal might work, or the yogurt thing.

#4 of 15 Old 08-19-2015, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm pregnant with my 1st child (10th gw). I had no idea candida goes so out of control during pregnancy, I've had yeast infections before, after antibiotics intake, but now it's worse than ever. The good thing back then was I could safely use oral medications, which is not the case now. The doctor I go to for my pregnancy consultations prescribed Mycomax orally (it's only available in Europe I think) with Fluconazole as its main ingredient. I came accross studies on the effects of Fluconazole during pregnancy and it didn't sound encouraging (read some daunting statistics about malformations and miscarriages).

I want to do my best and treat the infection with natural means. If I go and ask for a second opinion I'm sure the other doctor would prescribe something similar that some pharmaceutical company is paying him to promote (this is how things work here) and if I mention any alternative treatment they would probably laugh in my face. So, I've taken things into my own hands and now I've decided to try tea tree oil. I plan to put a few drops on a tampon and then leave it in overnight. Bought it today, but still got some concerns...There is info on some sites that it is not recommended during pregnancy, but nothing more specific. Has any of you tried it? Honestly, I'm so disappointed with my country's healthcare system, it is really refreshing to know that I could benefit from what you know and experience (so glad I studied English as a second language lol ) I would also greatly appreaciate any other non-medicational ways to cure yeast infection!

Thanks!
I just Googled "tea tree oil" and "yeast infection" and found this site: p r e v e n t i o n . c o m / h e a l t h / y e a s t - i n f e c t i o n - t r e a t m e n t s
I'm guessing you've found some similar information by the sound of it. It looks like you can put some of the oil on a tampon, though even this website recommends staying cautious. I agree that perhaps diluting the tea tree oil with some water might be smart, at least to test it out first.

However, I can say that tea tree oil works from experience! I actually am using it right now, ironically enough! For the first time in my life, I noticed some white spots on my two big toes after removing my nail polish. I read that this was toenail fungus and that if you wear your nail polish for too long, fungus is likely to grow (which, ugh, of course I had no idea about and just kept reapplying my nail polish when it started to come off). The thing about nail fungus is it can take ages to get rid of. Some people just end up living with it for life. Others, it can take around a year to remove, and not all forms of treatment work. Yet, with me, I started using tea tree essential oil immediately and have applied several drops directly (without diluting it) multiple times a day (I am relentless in getting rid of it), and the fungus is nearly all gone, and it's only been a month! I was very pleased. It definitely works wonders. My brother also used tea tree oil in the past for an infection of some sort (I forgot what he said it was), and I guess it worked for him as well.

Best of luck!!

~ArcaneAscent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
#5 of 15 Old 10-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I see this is kind of old, but does anyone who has used yogurt for yeast infections know how long it should take to clear things up? I've been trying for a couple days, but I'm wondering how long I should give it before I move on to something else (probably a midwife or dr visit, depending). I'm pregnant too, just like the OP so gentle pregnancy safe remedies are a must.
#6 of 15 Old 10-06-2015, 11:32 AM

@violetflapjack , I think it takes around a week, though applying the yogurt should provide some instant (if temporary) relief. If just doing yogurt, I'd also cut out most added sugars, dairy & any other possibly sensitive foods (like gluten). I hope you're feeling better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 of 15 Old 10-06-2015, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hi! I have also struggled with yeast infections, especially during pregnancy, and what have i not tried (yogurt, tea tree oil, probiotics, garlic inserted as tampon, turmeric....) and I didn't have much success, though many other people did. What works really good for me in a matter of day is zeolit. But be sure to get only the highest quality one, for oral use. I mix it with a little bit of water to get a consistency like a clay mask, and then apply it generously. Zeolit is a supplement safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding, so I figured down there shouldn't be a problem Please keep us posted.
Best of luck!
Smella likes this.
#8 of 15 Old 10-29-2015, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
so, for several years i suffered from chronic candida overgrowth. in that time i learned a lot about prevention and natural remedies, but i want to open by saying that i was not pregnant while pursuing these remedies so i would advise you to do your own research about pregnancy impact.

here's what didn't work for me:
-yogurt suppositories

kinda works:
-inserting a peeled clove of garlic vaginally, leave there for ~8 hours. this method also *seems* like it would be quite pregnancy safe.

my favorite natural remedy:
-apple cider vinegar sitz bath. pour 16oz of raw apple cider vinegar in a shallow bath and stay in the bath for at least 15 minutes. i also *think* that this would be totally pregnancy safe.

as for tea tree oil, it's my most used and quickest home remedy, but also the harshest. now that i know my body's candida reactions well enough to know when i'm approaching overgrowth, i dip a finger and diluted TTO and insert it vaginally. this is not the classiest way to apply, sure, but its fast and it works for me. I stopped using TTO this way when i began TTC though because TTO is quite harsh, as others have said (yes, it stings a little bit, it didnt bother me), and i was worried that it would interfere with my cervical mucous.
#9 of 15 Old 10-29-2015, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneAscent View Post

However, I can say that tea tree oil works from experience! I actually am using it right now, ironically enough! For the first time in my life, I noticed some white spots on my two big toes after removing my nail polish. I read that this was toenail fungus and that if you wear your nail polish for too long, fungus is likely to grow (which, ugh, of course I had no idea about and just kept reapplying my nail polish when it started to come off). The thing about nail fungus is it can take ages to get rid of. Some people just end up living with it for life. Others, it can take around a year to remove, and not all forms of treatment work. Yet, with me, I started using tea tree essential oil immediately and have applied several drops directly (without diluting it) multiple times a day (I am relentless in getting rid of it), and the fungus is nearly all gone, and it's only been a month! I was very pleased. It definitely works wonders. My brother also used tea tree oil in the past for an infection of some sort (I forgot what he said it was), and I guess it worked for him as well.

Best of luck!!
yes, i also used TTO for nail fungus which works great, and you don't have to worry about its harshness bc the toes can handle it!!
#10 of 15 Old 10-30-2015, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have used ACV douches with great success many times. a few tsp of ACV to a douche of water (I buy the disposable vinegar douches they sell and add a few additional tsp of ACV to them). When I do it I use them morning and night for 3-4 days. works well for me.
#11 of 15 Old 12-14-2015, 02:52 PM

I just wanted to update my response. My midwife suggested a single drop of TTO on a pad or pantry liner. It's actually helped with discomfort during the day time. TTO is powerful stuff, which is why I continue to think it is better used externally only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 of 15 Old 12-14-2015, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
Hello everyone!

Thanks!
I'd recommend black seed oil... works like a charm!!

Natural Health Enthusiastic
Full Time Mother
California Girl at Heart

#13 of 15 Old 02-25-2016, 02:11 AM

I think you can use royal jelly to treat yeast infection naturally.
#14 of 15 Old 03-07-2016, 02:26 AM

I have tried yogurt for about 4 days but there is only a slight change with the condition (maybe because I did it wrong or something), and then I read an article on a Lethomeremedies.com about yeast and bacterial vaginosis and decided to use tea tree oil instead for a couple of days and now I can feel the itching and discomfort disappear.
Hope this will also work with you guys

Last edited by Davis Ariana; 03-07-2016 at 02:30 AM.
#15 of 15 Old 01-17-2019, 11:46 PM

How to Euthanize a cat Without a Pill

Simple, it has several uses & benefits, probably hundreds, if not thousands (i’m not lying)

But what the heck are they?

Well, you’re at the right place, because I’ve put together a complete list

Here is the Quick overview:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page