5-htp and colonoscopy, help!!! - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By blessedwithboys

#1 of 2 Old 07-11-2019, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
5-htp and colonoscopy, help!!!

I scheduled a colonoscopy today. Am 52 and was supposed to do it 2 years ago but didn't because I was afraid of cost. (DH had one right before that, and we ended up owing $600.) But MD assures me I won't have to pay anything. So I finally went in, found out I have to go off my meds for 2 weeks. I take a combo of 5-htp and St. John's wort and if I miss a dose it takes me 3 days to recover from headaches, fatigue, inability to react emotionally to anything. Last time I increased the dose I had a week of paranoia before it stabilized and I felt better than ever. I am deeply afraid of messing with this protocol in any way. I am honestly not entirely confident that I can survive going off this supplement.

Add to that, we're moving in 3 weeks to a new state, I don't have a job yet, am freaking out about how much work I need to do and decisions about downsizing from living in one place for 15 years. If I go off the meds now and have the procedure in 2 weeks, I'll still be mentally unstable right when I'll be meeting a bunch of new people and trying to get a job.

I thought I wanted to do this and finally get it out of the way, but now I'm wondering if I should just cancel and do it in the winter.

The nurse hinted that maybe I could just not go along with the rule about going off, but I researched a wee bit and it looks like there might be a significant risk with both of these supplements.

would appreciate if anyone has any helpful perspective or info about any of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-13-2019, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Are you doing the test because of a risk specific to your unique situation, or simply because it's the done thing? Personally, I can't mentally get past the idea of the scope not being sterilized between patients, so I have no plans to submit to the test simply because I've lived a certain number of days. If I had a specific risk, I would reconsider. I think you should work with your doctor to decide if it's safe to come off your meds.
applejuice likes this.

Bring back the old MDC

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page