paint that encapsulates potential lead paint? HEPA vacuums? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 04-25-2005, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all - I was hoping to find out what kind of paint to use that's supposed to encapsulate lead paint? I've seen it alluded to, but not sure exactly what brand and type is supposed to do this? I'd prefer to go the non-toxic route, but am also more concerned about durability and encapsulating properties due to the fact that I'm living in an old house with a sweet girl under 2 years old.

Also, do you guys know if HEPA filter vacuums to use in the home are sufficient to clean up any lead dust that might be around? I've also seen it alluded to that not all of those vacuums are sealed and so not appropriate.

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-27-2005, 11:50 PM

Hi- I live in an old house too, and lead is also a concern of mine. I think I've heard of paints specifically targeted to encapsulate lead paint, but I don't know of a brand or where to get them. Maybe check at a paint store, like Sherwin Williams? I think, if you can't find that, that just painting over the lead paint will certainly help.

With regards to the vacuums, you need to get a "true" hepa vacuum...and they are pricey! Brands I have looked at are Miele, Eureka Oxygen, and there's another one that I've seen in Home Depot that starts with a "D" I think...it's purple. They are around $500. I don't own one yet!

Good luck!!

Krista, crafty blogging mama to four
#3 of 5 Old 04-28-2005, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, Cachet. I also would think a coat of paint over everything is better than nothing. I saw a Dyson over at Home Depot, but it's an upright and I need a canister. I think I'm going to check out one of those Miele kind of vacuums. Too bad I just bought a couple new attachments to my Kenmore canister!

We're going to continue cleaning all the interior wood trim with the Cascade detergent and water at least until all that stuff gets painted.

Good luck to you too!

#4 of 5 Old 04-28-2005, 04:08 PM

If I were you I would call your local health dept. They can send you lots of info about living with lead. I don't have lead based paint but because of my allergies I have a Sebo hospital grade vacuum. I got it from a vacuum store and it was spendy but worth it. I think wet dusting and mopping are very important, and wash toys often. Have you had your dd's lead levels checked?
#5 of 5 Old 04-28-2005, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer mama
Have you had your dd's lead levels checked?
She's 21 mos., and we just moved into this house last month. When I had her checked at a year, she was at 0.5, and we were living in pre-'70s apt. I will be getting another test at her 2-year appt (kind of nervous!!)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page