I broke my hoover floormate trying to use a better cleaner! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 09-25-2007, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so mad! I've had this floormate (hard floor scrubber) for maybe 3 years now...my mom bought it for me for Christmas one year. I LOVE it so, so, so much, especially now in our new house because our downstairs is ALL wood laminate and tile. I use it at least once a week. Last week I decided to stop using the floor cleaner they sell to use with it because it didn't even list the ingredients in it and since my 10 month old licks the floor...I thought I would try something more natural. I put in a splash of vinegar, hot water, and a small squirt of Dr. Bronner's peppermint. It cleaned great! But then tonight when I went to use it...I filled it up again and when I clicked the tank into place...water started pouring out of everywhere...out of places it definitely shouldn't have been, and I knew better than to plug it in unless I wanted to get electrocuted!

I am just so sad and upset. I loved that thing so much, and now I have to get a new one (can't do without it, with all the hard floors and a floor licking 10 month old on the prowl) but we are so broke since I quit working to SAH and when I DO get another one, I guess I'll have to keep using their cleanser in it? The instructions said not to use bleach or any pine or "solvent" based cleansers. I thought I was safe with vinegar and a squirt of Dr. B but I guess I wasn't. : It makes it that much worse that I broke it with something I did. anyway thanks to anyone who listened to me whine!

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-25-2007, 10:30 AM

I use Dr. B's in my Hoover Floor Mate all the time!!!!!!!!

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#3 of 9 Old 09-25-2007, 10:35 AM

I would call the Hoover people next time and ask them what is in the solvent. You can also ask them what more natural options might be.

#4 of 9 Old 09-25-2007, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My dad retired from Hoover so we have tons of Hoover products. I love our floor mate, but it breaks - I've never had any other Hoover item break like this one. : But since I love it, we just buy the replacement seals. We also just use vinegar and water in ours. I don't think anything you did harmed your scrubber.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#5 of 9 Old 09-25-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

replacement seals? Where can I get them?

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#6 of 9 Old 09-25-2007, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There seem to be Hoover service centers everywhere around here. I don't know if it's just here in Ohio bc that's where Hoover started - or if it's everywhere. You can probably go to their site and find a local service center. I know even some just sweeper stores here have some items as well - but since we sort of have an 'in' I'm not real up on the proper channels.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#7 of 9 Old 09-26-2007, 12:52 AM

The peppermint oil probably affected the rubber seals. I've killed a couple of FloorMates - once with Pine Cleaner, once with Dr. Bronner's peppermint. I like the FloorMate cleaner, but couldn't always find it.

I'm on my third FloorMate and now use only a 50/50 water and vinegar solution - 2 years with this one and it's still alive, a record for me.

My FloorMate gets used everyday because of our pets and everyone's insistence upon walking barefoot.
#8 of 9 Old 09-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelachristin View Post
I put in a splash of vinegar, hot water, and a small squirt of Dr. Bronner's peppermint.
Why would you want to mix soap & vinegar? I'm not saying that's what caused the leakage, but they do react to form insoluble fatty acid.
#9 of 9 Old 01-23-2019, 03:46 AM

I sympathize with you, I think you should periodically read reviews, I have a friend Richard, and often writes reviews for different home appliances, I think you will be interested in communicating with him. Here is his blog, good luck to you

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page