Melaluca - Mothering Forums

#1 of 21 Old 11-06-2007, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me about their products? Any info good/bad would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 PM

I have used Melaleuca for several years and like most of their products. There are a few that I do not care for, but I do really like their vitamins and daily supplements. Some of the food bars contain Splenda (sucralose), so I don't order those, but not all of the food bars contain it. For the most part, I think they have really good products and are a good company.

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
#3 of 21 Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 AM

I do Melaleuca, and I like a lot of their products. However, I don't think they're as "natural" as they claim to be.

#4 of 21 Old 11-08-2007, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Melaleuca alternifolia is the scientific name (genus and species) of the tea tree. I resent the company Melaleuca for appropriating the name of the genus (which encompasses many plants other than the tea tree), both because it's confusing and because it promotes the inaccurate impression that tea tree oil is some kind of company exclusive when it isn't.

Semantics, I guess.
#5 of 21 Old 11-08-2007, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have friends and family who use their products and love them.

I do not use their products because they test on animals. According to PETA and NAVS - they test. I called the company directly several times. The first time I was told they do not test, but I never trust one call because companies often say this. I called again and asked for something in writing since I could find nothing in their website and they said they had nothing. The third time I was told some products are tested and some are not, that they are the distributor not the manufacturer, and if they did not test it would be mentioned on their website under the specific product. I couldn't find any product descriptions stating they didn't test. I prefer to purchase from a company that doesn't test any of their products on animals and doesn't purchase from suppliers or manufacturers that test on animals.

I should add...I haven't checked Melaleuca's website in a couple of years - their policies may have changed. PETA and NAVS still have them listed and 'testers'.
#6 of 21 Old 11-10-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I am bumping this to try to get some more info.. I am really interested in what products of theirs are "truly" natural. It seems their products are better than store brands but looking for more info.

Thanks
#7 of 21 Old 12-12-2007, 04:04 PM

Same here. My dad has been "selling" me on their products for about a year now. Are they really all that natural? Do the vitamins digest well? I dont really like their ordering process, say you forget to order, they will send you a box of stuff that month (so you dont miss the prefered customer discount). I feel like that is forced purchasing. Would I really use alot of products to warrant purchasing once a month? Is shipping expensive?

I didnt know about the animal testing thing. Hmmmm.

What about canceling my membership. Is that hard to do? Do you get greif for it??

Thanks!

Dawn
#8 of 21 Old 12-12-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2gwen View Post
Same here. My dad has been "selling" me on their products for about a year now. Are they really all that natural? Do the vitamins digest well? I dont really like their ordering process, say you forget to order, they will send you a box of stuff that month (so you dont miss the prefered customer discount). I feel like that is forced purchasing. Would I really use alot of products to warrant purchasing once a month? Is shipping expensive?

What about canceling my membership. Is that hard to do? Do you get greif for it??

Thanks!

Dawn
I've been using some of their products for about 2 years. I really like the vitamins, which is why I signed up with them in the first place. My MW started me on them when I was preg. Now I use the dishwashing detergent and the laundry detergent and have been fairly pleased with both. I also have used some of the cleaning products, which I believe aren't as "natural" as they claim to be. I'm trying to use more baking soda and vingegar to clean with now.

I think that the shipping is outragous. By the time I'm done with my order it's about $70 and I have to pay almost $14 with tax and shipping. But I guess the items are a bit heavy with the detergents and all, so I guess it's what I should expect. I also don't like the fact that I'm roped into buying a certain amount, but the discount on the vitamins make it worth it and now I buy them for a friend too, which helps us make our point requirement. And I do like the other detergents more than the regular store ones. And I guess if I'm using a little less chemicals in my home, then all the better.

If you can find someone who wants to help you meet the points, then you can try some products as you have the money. You also earn back free money that you can use towards your order as long as you meet your points first.

Good luck with your decision.
#9 of 21 Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Banned

i only use their dish detergent. i tried everything else (natural) on the market, vinegar, and a number of other things. it was the only thing that worked (in the dishwasher, btw).

so, that's what i use. i don't know if it's "all natural" but i do know that it's a decent product.
#10 of 21 Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 PM

About the same time I was looking into making the switch to more natural cleaning/body products, a co-worker tried to get me to sign up to sell the stuff (she didn't even know I was making the switch lol). She got me really excited about it, I spent an hour on the phone going thru an orienation with my district manager (who got my co-worker to start up with it) and the more I heard, the more I liked...until I was told about having to buy every month...and if you don't, its automatic. That took the wind from my sails! I had hopped to make a lil extra money on the side selling and at the same time get some discounts/freebies on the product line. The prices weren't too high and I was told it was concentrated so it would last a long time. Thats all good and gravy but if it lasts so long...I wouldn't need to buy it every month! Part of the reason going all natural (besides the obvious being its more natural) was that it was going to be better on my budget. So I decided against it. I'm glad I did because shortly there after I found this awesome site And read some threads about it not being as all natural as they claim. After googling the company, read the same things and some stuff on the animal testing that they do (or at least the companies that they purchase from does).
#11 of 21 Old 12-14-2007, 01:59 PM

I was looking for less toxic and more environmentally sound products and my mom already used Melaluca herself, so she just orders for me as well. She doesn't sell it to anyone else, just self use. We live within a hundred yards of a river so the fact that their laundry and dish soaps contain no phosphates is important to me (phosphates are detrimental to water ecosystems)

We use the laundry soap, dishwasher and dish soap, bar soap, and kids body wash and shampoo for DS.

I like the products, they are less toxic and more environmentally sound than most store brands, and they work well. DS's diapers have never needed stripping, and he has never had any skin sensitivities to any of the products. The bar soaps last forever!

Are they 100% natural, 100% non-toxic etc. no, probably not, but in my opinion they are a better choice than some other brands for a few things. I don't use all of their products, I use enzyme cleaners, vinegar, baking soda etc. for other household cleaning.

The Green Guide- in a response letter to Melaluca- outlines some of the animal testing done, http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/ask/vandersloot, so you can see exactly what was done, and why, to determine if you're comfortable with using their products.
#12 of 21 Old 12-15-2007, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
won't use them. they say they are so natural but many of the products still contain overtly and widely known chemicals like parabens. I advise against it. even a sales rep told me they were all natural, which I knew to be untrue b/c I was looking at an ingredient list at the time.
#13 of 21 Old 12-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2gwen View Post

Thanks!

Dawn
You can have a "list" of things they will send you if you don't order, OR you can be set up to receive a gift certificate ($49.49 - what they estimate comes out to the 35 point monthly requirement).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitker79 View Post
I've been using some of their products for about 2 years. I really like the vitamins, which is why I signed up with them in the first place. My MW started me on them when I was preg. Now I use the dishwashing detergent and the laundry detergent and have been fairly pleased with both. I also have used some of the cleaning products, which I believe aren't as "natural" as they claim to be. I'm trying to use more baking soda and vingegar to clean with now.

I think that the shipping is outragous. By the time I'm done with my order it's about $70 and I have to pay almost $14 with tax and shipping. But I guess the items are a bit heavy with the detergents and all, so I guess it's what I should expect. I also don't like the fact that I'm roped into buying a certain amount, but the discount on the vitamins make it worth it and now I buy them for a friend too, which helps us make our point requirement. And I do like the other detergents more than the regular store ones. And I guess if I'm using a little less chemicals in my home, then all the better.

If you can find someone who wants to help you meet the points, then you can try some products as you have the money. You also earn back free money that you can use towards your order as long as you meet your points first.

Good luck with your decision.
I save my gift certificates and make a big order every 3-4 months. It seems to save me quite a bit on shipping (paying $30 for shipping every 4 months instead of $15-20 every month)

It IS a lot of money. I don't use any of the vitamins (I'm thinking I'm going to give them a try). I LOVE their laundry soap and my friend loves their dishwasher detergent. But, I can't use almost $50 worth of stuff every month!! I've got a couple people who occasionally pitch in on orders for stuff for them. It helps, but a lot of the products are concentrated enough that they last so long!! (Ex: Laundry soap container for a family of 5 lasts us almost 2 months)

I like a lot of their products, and I think they are a lot closer to 'natural' than most stuff you'll buy at the store . . . but they're a long cry from an "all natural" product.
#14 of 21 Old 12-15-2007, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would never buy something where you have to agree to buy so much a month.

However, if you really love the product, it looks like you can buy plenty on ebay. Probably the folks who get their monthly shipment try to recoup a little by selling on ebay.
#15 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 06:08 PM

I've done the research and Melaleuca does contain toxic chemicals, period.

What does 'more natural than others...or less toxic than others' matter when a toxic or carcinogenic chemical ingredient is in a product?

Do you want to support this kind of company in all consciousness?

I appologize if my bluntness offends anyone here

best,
Jenn
#16 of 21 Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 AM

My MIL sells the stuff, and while some products are good, like the Gold Bar, most things I have seen don't list the ingredients on the package. The vitamins won't say how much of everything is in it, and don't even get me started on the volume of crap you need to order every month! Many products like the liquid hand soap are so perfumey that it i hard to tolerate.

They aren't as 'natural' as they claim. It seems that adding tea tree to everything is god enough 'natural' for a lot of people.

You are way better off buying the more expensive eco-brands at Whole Foods. They don't wrangle you into obliged purchases, contracts and shipping.

I didn't know about the animal testing, but I wouldn't doubt it. Companies who don't proudly state it and have easily accessible literature - Melaleuca is on PETA's "Do test on animals" list.
#17 of 21 Old 12-18-2007, 02:08 AM

i have used Melaleuca on and off for a few years. i love their cleaning products and vitamins. they work GREAT!
but i won't use them again. i realized their "eco friendly" push is crap. their products have too many chemicals for my taste. sure, they're better but i want best, ykwim? plus they charge waaaaaaay too much. i'm using up what i have and then making my own.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#18 of 21 Old 12-19-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianna11 View Post
most things I have seen don't list the ingredients on the package.
There's a reason for that

They are not all-natural. Not even close.

They test on animals.

They encourage sellers to use a pyramid scheme (they dont' call it that, of course).

They place an automatic order for you if you 'forget' to do it yourself.

Be careful.
#19 of 21 Old 12-19-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Feeling View Post
They encourage sellers to use a pyramid scheme (they dont' call it that, of course).
Oh yeah...I made the mistake of saying it sounded like a pyramid scheme when I first heard about it and my co-worker was quick to say no no no
#20 of 21 Old 12-19-2007, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't trust them. I had a friend who sold Meleluca and all she did was try to sign up other sellers under her. It's fishy when they're not focusing on getting customers.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  11yo dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#21 of 21 Old 12-19-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I don't trust them. I had a friend who sold Meleluca and all she did was try to sign up other sellers under her. It's fishy when they're not focusing on getting customers.
ITA.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page