Menstrual cup experts, help me please - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I lost my Diva cup! I had only been using it for maybe 6 months, so I'm sad and annoyed that I didn't get my money's worth. : (I just noticed that icon and I love it--way to save the earth my not using those nasty disposable products)

Anyway, I thought I would take this opportunity to find out whether I should buy another Diva cup, or something else. The Diva cup was definitely better than tampons, by a factor of like a million, but in practice I only used it on my heaviest day and night, because it leaked quite a bit and was often uncomfortable. I don't know if it was the cup, or if I was inserting it wrong, or if my pelvic floor muscles are permanently shot from pushing my baby out butt-first.

So are there any cups that are more likely to be comfortable and not leak on someone who needs to do a few more Kegels this week?

Mommy to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(age 10) and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(age 6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 11:09 PM

I love my (UK) Mooncup. I have the Lunette also, but it feels stiffer and isn't as comfortable for me. The only time I've had leaks is if I don't make sure it popped open after insertion, or when I went too long between dumping it.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 19 Old 12-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Hi

I also use a Mooncup (and love it) but I think it is very similar to the Diva. I do get leaks occasionally, but like the pp, only when I havent made sure it has really properly unfolded. There are lots of different ways to insert - I found the traditional squashed 'C' fold was too tricky and never unpopped properly.

Maybe the size too? I had to get the larger Mooncup for over 30s/post-vaginal delivery. If I lost mine, I would definately replace it.

I do know a couple of women who use Sea Pearls - have you thought about natural sponges?

#4 of 19 Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 PM

I tried the Diva cup for a few months and returned it for a refund. I got a Mooncup, and I love it! Mooncup is a lot softer than Diva, although the shapes are similar (I did read that if you boil the Diva, it would soften up).

The c-fold didn't work for me either. I use the punch-down. I also have a tilted uterus, so I have to insert it in an angle, otherwise it's very uncomfortable, and it leaks.

I didn't have to cut the stem off Diva (so I could return it if I had to0, but I did with Mooncup (since there was no refund anyway).
#5 of 19 Old 12-10-2007, 08:21 PM

I've tried the Diva and the UK Mooncup and the Mooncup is much more comfortable for me.
#6 of 19 Old 12-10-2007, 08:26 PM

Oh, I'll add that I use the "7" fold for insertion. Only once has it not popped open with that fold.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#7 of 19 Old 12-10-2007, 09:53 PM

I love the Diva. It's all I've tried and there was definitely a learning curve for me for quite a few months but if I had to buy another cup to replace my Diva, I'd buy another Diva.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#8 of 19 Old 12-11-2007, 03:10 PM

Anothe UK Mooncup lover here. I hated the Diva and almost didn't try the Mooncup because I didn't want to waste any more money. I'm really glad I did now
#9 of 19 Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM

Can I piggy-back and ask if anyone knows the difference between the Diva Model 1 and Model 2?

NVM I see that it depends on age and whether you've had vaginal births.
#10 of 19 Old 12-12-2007, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've only used the Keeper, but I was happy with it. I used it for about 4 years before I had a baby. Then once I got my cycle back, I tried it and it wouldn't stay in. So I had to buy the A style which is for after childbirth. I had a lot of problems with yeast infections for years so I stopped using it because it seemed to add to the problem. I am pregnant now so I haven't been using it, but I plan to after my cycle returns. I always leaked both before and after vaginal childbirth. No matter how I inserted it. So I just always used a cloth pad as a liner. I only leaked a little bit so one liner for most of the day worked just fine.

-Lauren
#11 of 19 Old 12-14-2007, 09:10 PM

I have both the diva and the mooncup uk and I much prefer the mooncup. It was much more comfortable to me and also I didn't have nearly as much trouble getting it out as I did w/the diva...the suction on the diva, yowza!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#12 of 19 Old 12-16-2007, 08:08 AM

Hi, just barging in here since I have wanted one of these for a long time...

Do these insert like a diaphragm? And for those of you who answered that they work well, does that mean no leaking?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#13 of 19 Old 12-18-2007, 03:42 AM

Why do you guys think mooncup is better? i'm just curious if i should already throw in the diva towel. i just used it on my last cycle and it was never comfortable. it was hanging out (or falling out) or hitting my cervix and really uncomfortable. i don't know if its because i need more kegel'ing or what. also, i have a cystocele, and a tilted uterus. so i dont know if that is part of it.

L married to J 8 years. Parents to 6 y.o. dd and 3 y.o. ds :nana
Veggie Family
#14 of 19 Old 12-18-2007, 07:02 PM

For me, the Mooncup UK is just a better size. I still had to cut off the entire stem, but it fit much better than the Diva.
#15 of 19 Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm very happy with my Divacup, and I was very happy with the Keeper that I used to have before I had kids.

If I ever need to replace this (say, if it wears out before I hit menopause) I'll probably get a mooncup just because I haven't used that one yet.

How do you know when a cup wears out and needs to be replaced? I mean, what happens to it? I stopped using my Keeper because I'd purchased the "before kids" version and then I got pregnant. How will I know when my Diva needs to be replaced?

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#16 of 19 Old 12-19-2007, 12:05 AM

I think someone asked the difference between the Diva and the Mooncup...the mooncup is shorter, so if you're like me and your cervix is a bit lower during your period, the mooncup might be less likely to irritate your perineum. At least, that's my theory, and the reason that I purchased the Mooncup over the Diva. I haven't yet had occasion to use my Mooncup "for real" yet but in trial runs, it was quite comfy. I used the punch-down method to insert.
#17 of 19 Old 12-19-2007, 12:47 PM

If the one you had bothered you, I'd suggest trying a new one. I had one (sorry, I'm blanking on what brand it was) that was uncomfortable and leaked like mad. I threw it away and swore off menstrual cups forever. Well, "forever" only lasted a year and I got disgusted with disposable products. Now, I'm a VERY happy user of a Moon Cup. I use it on my heavy 2 days and mama cloth for the remainder of my cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Oh, I'll add that I use the "7" fold for insertion. Only once has it not popped open with that fold.
Do you happen to have a link with a visual description of this? Once in a while, mine fails to pop open and redoing it is aggravating, both mentally and physically!
#18 of 19 Old 12-19-2007, 01:56 PM

there is a yahoo group that has a lot of folds illustrated. It was very helpful to me at first. I use the punch-down fold because the one in the Diva cup instructions didn't work well for me.
#19 of 19 Old 12-19-2007, 03:33 PM

For the difference between the Lunette and the Mooncup, the main one is softness. I did have to cut off the entire stems on both of them, but the Lunette is just a bit stiffer than the Mooncup, so I can feel it more. The Mooncup I never notice while it's in. Neither one have I had any leakage problems with, though. But I read plenty before using it, so I knew how to insert it, and to tilt it towards my back (since the vagina is not vertical). If I don't get it far enough in on the first try, I can tighten up my muscles to pull it up, then hold it there with my finger and tighten up again until it's in a comfortable spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Feeling View Post
Do you happen to have a link with a visual description of this? Once in a while, mine fails to pop open and redoing it is aggravating, both mentally and physically!
'fraid I don't. But, it's easy enough to describe. Squeeze the top edge of the cup closed in half, then fold one corner down so that the top edge is in the shape of a 7. Insert.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page