menstrual cup anyone - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I am interested in switching from tampons to a menstrual cups. I'm a little nervous and unsure. Can anyone give me there thoughts on switching.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 07:20 PM

I love my dive cup and would never go back!

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#3 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 08:42 PM

I have a Diva cup as well, and I LOVE it!
Although, at first, I hated it! Everything I read told me to keep trying, since it takes a couple of cycles to get the hang of it...so I did. And I still hated it. And I gave up for a month. But the next month, I decided to try it again, and it worked! It's so simple now, it's just as quick and easy as a tampon.
So, I'd say go for it, but be prepared to not like it at first...but DON'T give up! You will get it, and you'll love it!!
Mel

#4 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 PM

I just got one too. I love the mama cloths, but wanted something to use when on days when we go to water parks this summer.
#5 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 11:53 PM

I used organic tampons. Switched to cloth pads. Now I Diva it all the way. It took me two years to come to accept that horrid looking thing! Doesn't look horrid to me anymore.
#6 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 PM

Hey, you're in Madison. I love the farmer's market there. I'm up in the Fox Valley.
#7 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance_11 View Post
I have a Diva cup as well, and I LOVE it!
Although, at first, I hated it! Everything I read told me to keep trying, since it takes a couple of cycles to get the hang of it...so I did. And I still hated it. And I gave up for a month. But the next month, I decided to try it again, and it worked! It's so simple now, it's just as quick and easy as a tampon.
So, I'd say go for it, but be prepared to not like it at first...but DON'T give up! You will get it, and you'll love it!!
Mel

Ditto!

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#8 of 18 Old 05-13-2008, 11:58 PM

I also have a Diva Cup that I love! Personally, I didn't really have any problems even when first starting to use it. I felt quite comfortable using it by my second cycle.
#9 of 18 Old 05-15-2008, 01:02 AM

I have a keeper moon cup and LOVE IT! I use cloth pad liners for peace of mind as I'm still having the occasional leak.
#10 of 18 Old 05-15-2008, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great responses. I think I am going to buy a diva cup and try it with my next cycle. I've been using organic cotton tampons and have been thinking of making the switch.

prana: Yes the farmer's market here is lovely. We went last weekend and got a ton of yummy stuff.

Thanks again everyone!
#11 of 18 Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Jen, I'm repeating what the other posters have said, but I love the Diva Cup. It really only took me a couple days to get used to it. I've been using it for 5 years now. Truthfully, it's so easy that I often totally forget that it's that time of the month.

Nichole
#12 of 18 Old 05-15-2008, 12:38 PM

I should add that before I got my Diva cup, I was on a perscription for the cramps...they were HORRIBLE! Now that I have my cup, I don't even need to take a Tylenol or anything (but I still get a bit crampy for the first day). It's great!

Melanie
#13 of 18 Old 05-15-2008, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Insert it as soon as you get it and wear it for a couple hours. Do that a few times to get comfortable with it before your period. That way, when you are fumbling with the insertion and removal, at least you aren't getting blood all over your hands and the bathroom. You might want to use some lube when practicing with no flow, but you might not need it--because the cup is non-absorbent, it's easier than a tampon that way. I often put it in when expecting my period and then check every 8 hours or so to see if it caught anything!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
12 years old and a girl EnviroKid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 years old!
I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more.
#14 of 18 Old 05-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Lots of info here.

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#15 of 18 Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 PM

I bought a Diva Cup and just used it this week for the first time. I love it!! I haven't had any problems with getting it in because I read so much first and knew what to expect and how to troubleshoot. I wore a liner with it and had a very tiny amount of leakage. It could have been because it was too high though. I've been wearing it lower now and it's great.
#16 of 18 Old 05-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMama View Post
I also have a Diva Cup that I love! Personally, I didn't really have any problems even when first starting to use it. I felt quite comfortable using it by my second cycle.

:
#17 of 18 Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a moon cup and love it. I have heard that the cup creates a vacuum which should result in less menstrual cramps and perhaps shorten the length of period. I do feel a difference when I use the cup. I had severe cramping before.

I've had no problems using from the first time I tried it. I've had mine for three years.
#18 of 18 Old 05-15-2008, 05:54 PM

I've loved my Diva cup from the first time I used it. (I prefer cloth pads though- maybe cuz they are pretty colors. lol)
When I first started wearing it, I did have to, uh, use my fingers to make sure it was in the right place. I didn't want to have leak issues and dislike using it. So I decided to bypass the placement issues. lol.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page