Help me decide which menstrual cup to try / where to get? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 24 Old 06-13-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, this may be TMI. Many years ago, I heard about menstrual cups and thought - What a great idea! I was a pretty serious athlete (training for marathons) and used tampons, so it seemed good. I ordered a keeper, and used it only once. I was still a virgin, - I found it difficult to get in (even folded it was still monstrous!),- It was fine once in, but I had a hell of a time getting it out again - I must not have known how to do it but the size of that thing really hurt coming out. Plus the tail poked me.

Yikes,!! Fast forward 15 or so years, I've had my son, and tampons just don't work for me anymore. They seem to make me very sore and give me cramps. Pads are okay (not thrilled with them either, but they aren't painful, at least!), but I'd like to revisit the cup idea.

It seems that the Lunette or LAdy Cup might be the best to try - for softness, ease of cleaning, etc...

But, where to find these in the US?

Or is the "instead" something I should try to get an idea if it is good or not?

WWYD?

Also, I don't want to spend tons of $$$ Trying different things...

Thanks for any help or BTDT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 06-13-2008, 05:45 PM

First off, I'm in Canada, and bought mine locally, so I can't help you out with websites.

Most cups have a guarantee on them (Keeprs in 6 months, and Diva cups is a year) and if you don't like them you can return them.

I've had a Keeper pre-baby, and a Diva Cup post baby. I liked the Keeper because it was dark (I don't get the whole see through = good thing) and natural gum rubber. I did have to cut the whole tail off (you can cut it as short as you like, even right off) and it held up well.

I've only used my Diva cup for one cycle, but here's what I've noticed. It's A LOT softer to fold and insert. I don't like that it's see through, and I still had to cut the whole tail off. I also don't like the name, but not much I can do about that.

Good luck hunting!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#3 of 24 Old 06-13-2008, 05:51 PM

http://menstrualcups.org/ Check it out, seriously. You will learn more than you ever thought possible about menstrual cups and greatly increase your chances of success.
I vote for the Mooncup UK.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09

#4 of 24 Old 06-13-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
http://menstrualcups.org/ Check it out, seriously. You will learn more than you ever thought possible about menstrual cups and greatly increase your chances of success.
I vote for the Mooncup UK.
ITA! I love the UK Mooncup. I tried the Keeper and Diva Cups first and hated both - always had leaks. The Mooncup is perfect!
#5 of 24 Old 06-13-2008, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I had a Keeper pre-baby and a Diva since. I prefer the Diva. It has no smell of its own, whereas the Keeper smells like natural rubber, a smell I associate with sneakers. The transparency makes it easy to see whether it's clean. I also have a better fit with the Diva, but that's a pretty individual thing.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
12 years old and a girl EnviroKid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 years old!
I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more.
#6 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 09:43 PM

Dont use instead i recommend the divacup. instead makes a huge mess and you have to wear a pad with it because it leaks so bad.
#7 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 10:31 PM

I hated my diva, LOVE my keeper!!The smaller/shorter size of the keeper is so much more comfortable.
#8 of 24 Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 PM

I did a TON of research before I bought one and finally decided on the Lunette... It is the best cup for teens and beginners (but still works great for women who have had a baby) They say its the easiest one to release the suction from and thats why it is a good beginners cup. Plus it holds more than some of the others on the market.

I'm still on a learning curve cause it sorta scares me but I just got it about a month ago.

Morgan - Wife to Eldi, Mama to 5 yr old ds Gabriel and baby Lucia, Doula -- my loves!

#9 of 24 Old 08-05-2008, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a diva cup (mine's not clear though) & tried it for several cycles. I never found I could get it to be comfortable. It worked great - never had leaks but the whole time I had it in I could feel - kind of felt like when a tampon is part out. Not fun.

A friend of mine has a diva & LOVES it.

I'm hoping for better luck with it after the baby. But if not maybe I'll try one of the others that is shorter.

Doula mama to dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08) and expecting (Apr '17)
#10 of 24 Old 08-05-2008, 11:02 AM

Although I loved the ease of Instead (very user friendly, no leaks), I wouldn't suggest going with that because it's plastic and disposable. The other menstrual cups are much more environmentally friendly. I've been using the Diva Cup for about 4 months now. I'm still getting the hang of things here and there, but overall, I'm really happy with it. Good luck with your decision!
#11 of 24 Old 08-05-2008, 03:47 PM

I LOVE my Diva!! Love it! I'm currently using it for my third cycle. The first time, I loved the idea, but just liked the Diva. The second time, I learned that if I sit on the toilet and just lean forward a little bit, it gets in place much better, faster and is comfortable. This time around, I can get it completely in place in less than ten seconds, I've had no leaks at all and don't feel it one little bit. If I don't put it in while sitting on the toilet though, I don't get as good of a fit.
#12 of 24 Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM

Regarding where to buy...

The DivaCup is only $19.50 in the Frontier Wholesale catalog! If you don't have access to that, I also just got an email stating that DivaCup Kits are 10% off at Lunapads.com for the month of August:

http://www.lunapads.com/department.aspx?DeptId=4&
#13 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 12:15 AM

I've had a Diva cup for close to a year and would say that I'm 98% pleased with it. It is a learning curve to use it and sometimes I do have leaks- but for the most I'm pleased. It is great that when I work a 12 hour shift that I only have to 'mess' with it once versus pads or tampons that I'd have to change several times. I bought mine from Cotton Babies- I forget how much I paided- it was still a huge savings in comparision to buying a bunch of pads or tampons for the year!
#14 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 02:01 AM

I have a Diva and love love love it...can't say enough good things about it--I wish I would have had this 10 years ago. OMG I love it so much. I never had a problem with it from the very first time I used it. oh my GOSH oh I love it so.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#15 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 AM

I just bought a Diva cup from iherbs.com for around $18 plus shipping. I haven't used it yet as I'm awaiting AF. I love the idea so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
#16 of 24 Old 08-07-2008, 10:00 AM

I couldn't stand the rubber smell of the Keeper! LOL

I've had a Diva cup for three years now and finally like it. I could NOT use it for the first year after AF returned post-baby. It just wasn't comfortable no matter what I did. I still can't use it the first day because it makes the cramps much worse but I really like it now. It's also very easy to clean and sterilize.

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#17 of 24 Old 08-17-2008, 03:33 PM

I just started using a Diva Cup, and so far I just love love love it! I had issues inserting a couple of times but eventually found my "groove" so to speak, and now can insert and remove without problems. Initially, I was making the mistake of treating it like a diaphragm and inserting way up high. It's not meant to do that.

There's a great video on YouTube that shows an alternative way of folding it before insertion.

Here's the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfs3H...eature=related

The alternative way to fold comes at around minute 1:20 on the video.

I find that it flares open much more easily this way, and can spin.

PS: I also use my old Avent microwave bottle sterilizer to clean at the end of cycles. I figure, the diva cup is similar to a silicone avent nipple, so it should do the job.... and since I don't use it for bottles any more, I love that I can give it a new use.
#18 of 24 Old 08-17-2008, 03:43 PM

I am happy to say I used my Diva cup this cycle and love it! No leaks, easy to insert and take out. Knock on wood it stays that way! lol
#19 of 24 Old 10-12-2008, 04:18 PM

I just got a Keeper (size A) last monday and have been wearing it for this period. I had a few leaks the first day, but none since then. I *can* usually tell when its in (feels like a tampon about to fall out...), but I'm getting used to it. Are there any cups that are shorter?
#20 of 24 Old 10-13-2008, 05:13 PM

I ordered the small size Keeper (latex rubber) and just tried it out...OUCH! The pain was TERRIBLE inserting it, and then it got stuck and I couldn't release the suction which felt just awful. The keeper is made of really thick rubber, so the Moon Cup might be easier to insert since the silicone might be more thin. I don't know, but I will not purchase another product from this company. I was so excited about this menstrual cup being made in the USA and being an eco-friendly alternative, but I'm sending The Keeper back for a refund. After reading a lot of helpful posts on menstrualcups.org, I am going to order The Diva and give it a try. Sounds like it is softer and smaller. I'll repost after trying it
#21 of 24 Old 10-13-2008, 05:21 PM

Been using a Keeper for 10 years, never tried anything else, happy with it.

Started after my dd was born, can't imagine trying it, or any, menstrual cup while still a virgin! I couldn't even use tampons at that stage of my life!
#22 of 24 Old 10-13-2008, 05:34 PM

:
I was just coming here to ask about this! Since we're going to be preventing pregnancy, I'm actually going to have a regular menstrual cycle every month - which isn't something I've dealt with for 6.5 years.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#23 of 24 Old 10-13-2008, 08:42 PM

Ok, I just wanted to update. I trimmed my stem a tinsy little bit more off yesterday and it now fits PERFECTLY - I can't even feel it anymore I'm soo happy. I'm even thinking about wearing it over night, giving that a try . So... definetly try trimming your stem a bit at a time untill you get it 'right' !! I never would have guessed that the little itsy bitsy millimeter I took off would make such a HUGE difference this last time, but it did!!

ETA: OH, and I forgot to add, I've been using the 'alternative' folding method in that YouTube video - and it works (for me at least) FAR better than what they have in the pamphlet!!
#24 of 24 Old 10-14-2008, 01:46 AM

I had a Keeper before baby was conceived (still have it; bought it 7 or 8 years ago--so worth the investment) and loved it. I bought a Diva for after baby, but haven't used it since I haven't had a period yet. Hopefully I will like the Diva as much as I love the Keeper!

I bought my new Diva from LuckyVitamin.com for $16.98, plus I think shipping is $5.95 unless you buy more than $100 of stuff, then it's free. I usually get free shipping because there are lots of things I only get from LuckyVitamin.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page