Pertussis: First hand EXPERIENCES - share your story HERE - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 98 Old 12-17-2006, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellesmommy View Post
Sodium ascorbate, a white, crystalline powder form of vitamin C.
Thank you!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 98 Old 12-17-2006, 03:53 PM

thanks everyone ----VERY helpful!
#33 of 98 Old 12-18-2006, 09:41 PM

When occurred -Age: 36 - vaccine card states I had DPT 4X
Exclusively nursing a 5 month old who DID NOT get it.
Had whooping cough for about 3 months give or take.
Worst peak at about 3-4 weeks, well after a 'cold' would have come and gone. Resulting in (about 5 X daily) infrequent and prolonged attacks of coughing that made me lose bladder control, my breath and ending in spitting up wads of mucous. My ribs ached for weeks. It was like a really bad cold that wouldn't go away.
Treatment - Humidifier at night. Vitamin C and Zinc throat lozenges. during day.

#34 of 98 Old 12-18-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
My point? Learn about how to use SA for pertussis, it really is as simple as that.
Is that somewhere in the archives (can't search right now)...if yes I will search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redifer View Post
I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but sucking on chunks of dark chocolate lessens my coughing quite a bit.
Actually I've read that dark choc is one of the best natural cough suppresants.
#35 of 98 Old 12-19-2006, 01:38 AM

i'm reading this thread and wondering if i had it last winter (age 41). i had a bad cough that lasted about six weeks. it was worst at night; i would have to get up and sit on the couch in the middle of the night. it did seem to come in "spells," and i seemed to have no control over stopping. i would feel the blood back up into my face from the valsalva pressure. i coughed/wheezed (a rubbing sound at end expiration) until my bladder sphincter gave up the ghost (post 2 kids, youngest 13-14mos at the time), wore maxi pads that i would change 5-10 times a day ("mama's little diapers" my then 4 year old called them), wore folded up washcloths at night. i started to get exhausted and saw my homeopath/PA, who dx'd right upper lobe bronciolitis/?pneumonia. she gave me remedies and told me to have dh do postural drainage with cupping. she also recommended zithromax with the concern that if i developed full on pneumonia it would take months to recover my energy. i was probably fully vaxed as a child.

dd1 was vaxed on schedule until 15mos (except hep b), did not get sick that i recall, other than her usual frequent snotty nose colds.

dh did not get sick (got ? vaxes as an indian child in africa in the 60's).

dd2 gets frequent colds, and had something respiratory (rattly/squeaky cough) a month later combined with an ear infection that we treated with antibiotics (she was hospitalized with pneumonia at 3 mos, so we don't risk letting things progress).

my signature is usually illegible
#36 of 98 Old 12-19-2006, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
I was fully vaxed as a child and I had pertussis in college, which was misdiagnosed as bronchitis and I was prescribed antibiotics . . . of course, that did absolutely nothing. I dubbed it "The Never-Ending Cough" and went back the doctor, but they just kept telling me it was a bad case of bronchitis.

That "bronchitis" lasted about three months.
This describes my bout with it as well. Got it after college (about 24) and was diagnosed with bronchitis. Took two rounds of antibiotics though (grr) and at 10 weeks, finally saw a chiropractor - went away almost immediately.

The good thing for me was that I was working nights and sleeping days - I slept PERFECTLY!! I couldn't figure out why I slept through such bad "bronchitis," but hey, it worked for me at the time. Never threw up, but had bruised ribs (none broken). I was partying (waited until after college to drink like a fish) and even smoking cigarettes, not eating well at all. I'm sure it would have been much milder if I had been taking care of myself to begin with.

Having had it, it's not an illness that scares me for ds - especially since I think I would recognize it early and know how to treat it (thanks to a couple of books and that great, great MT).
#37 of 98 Old 12-19-2006, 01:00 PM

I had it in college. It started as a bad cold, and then the cough got worse and worse. I would wake in the middle of the night and go in the bathroom with the hot water on and cough and cry. I took bottles of codein cough syrup and it did nothing. It lasted about 2 months of horrific coughing. I was fully vaxed as a child. I was smoking and partying at the time too. I'm sure it would have been better if I took care of myself. Funny, that was the only year of I got a flu shot and I was never so sick in my life!
#38 of 98 Old 12-19-2006, 02:16 PM

my dd had it when she was about 20 mos

she was unvaxed

it was severe enough to take her to the doc after her friend got a pos pertussis test. plus she would cough so hard she threw up. they take 3 swabs. the first two came back neg, the third positive, but by that time she was over it

nakking....

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#39 of 98 Old 12-20-2006, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#40 of 98 Old 12-20-2006, 02:56 PM

And the other home rememdies you refer to? Should we take them everyday or just when you thin kyou are exposed?
#41 of 98 Old 12-21-2006, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Keeping this on the front page, so others can add their stories.

S/A = sodium ascorbate. There is a big thread on the subject in this forum.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#42 of 98 Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Awesome thread! Thanks so much for sharing everyone!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#43 of 98 Old 01-02-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

#44 of 98 Old 01-02-2007, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
The mega-thread re: sodium ascorbate is in health & healing. It's a great read, lots of excellent info.
#45 of 98 Old 01-02-2007, 05:34 PM

I am so thankful for this thread and all the posters; pertussis scares me like nothing else.

Michelle
#46 of 98 Old 01-08-2007, 03:41 AM

I finally made my first post on this board over a month ago when I was absolutely convinced I had pertussis. DH, DS and I all had a horrible virus, but they got better (DS - now 19-months - has all pertussis vax), and I developed a terrible sinus infection and had the "whooping" cough. Coughed so hard I vomited and lost complete control of my bladder, way worse than pregnancy.

Initially I was given antibiotics, asthma inhalers, and cough medication. Nothing worked. After a visited to the ER where I was told I was stressed from my "asthma" diagnosis and more visits to the doctor I finally took DH with me so the doctor would treat me with respect. He finally ordered a series of various tests. Turns out I did not have pertussis, but a hiatal hernia and GERD (reflux). I had seen a reference to GERD on a site for pertussis as I was desparately looking for anything to help with the coughing. I dismissed GERD as an issue for me because I don't have heartburn, which I now know is not always the case with GERD. So, to formerluddite, maybe you had/have GERD?

What I did learn about pertussis:

After the initial treatment with antibiotics it's difficult to diagnose with the nasal swab. So, you could get a false negative. You need the "spit" test.

Some medications I mentioned I was prescribed do not help or can make it worse, so do more research if you think you have it. Really, there is nothing you can do but wait it out. Sleeping upright helps. (As it does with GERD.) I took the Vitamin C advice on here and researched endlessly for more remedies and found nothing!

Also, full vaccination as a toddler will not prevent pertussis. There is a new booster for teens and adults. The most recent outbreak at New Trier High School near Chicago indicates that the booster may work. The upperclassmen who had not had the booster had about 28 cases, but there were only about two cases in the freshmen who had been offered the booster. I do not know if the few in that class who caught it had received the vaccine.

As soon as I get this GERD under control (i.e. stop coughing endlessly) I will investigate the pertussis booster for myself. If what I had was not pertussis then I know I will not be able to handle it if I do get it. My coughing caused such violent vomiting, I can see how people with pertussis do break ribs. And, the loss of bladder control... wow! Never this bad in pregnancy; I'm talking complete loss of control. And, the exhaustion, the inability to play with my child...

In any case, if you do think you have pertussis, but no one around you does, do look to GERD as you do not have to have heartburn to have it. I would never have known if DH and I had not forced the issue.

And, I will be getting a new doctor!
#47 of 98 Old 01-08-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
She is still here, but now she has a different name!

Something like Momtezuma T...

but we usually call her MT
Momtezuma Tuatara? I remember the username from when I started posting, especially since I'm an '80s UGA alumna, and REM's Peter Buck has a band called Tuatara. Odd, I know, but that's what I thought of when I saw her username and wondered how she chose it.

So, here's the link to the thread about selectively vaccinating in which I posted my first questions about pertussis, including a couple of links to interesting articles: https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=565681

Here's my cross-post: https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=566920

I've just looked at them both and MT is not in either, so I must have read her posts when searching for related topics. Did a search for her and she has tons of posts, so I'll leave it to you as individuals to find which topics you need.
#48 of 98 Old 01-08-2007, 05:22 AM

This is AWESOME! I don't have time to read it tonight (should have been in bed hours ago) but it'll be the first thing I read in the morning! Thanks so much!!!
#49 of 98 Old 01-08-2007, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imvishta View Post
I took the Vitamin C advice on here and researched endlessly for more remedies and found nothing!
out of my own curiousity- did you take it in SA form, and if so, did it not help at all? or just not enough? how much were you taking?

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#50 of 98 Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 AM

BTW- I just want to point out again, that if one actually HAS pertussis and uses the Vit. C as directed by knowledgable women from this site, I highly doubt you would get to the point of breaking ribs. My dh and 2 sons had it, and even prior to finding the SAP treatment, they were coughing/throwing up but not the point of breaking ribs, the PP's GERD sounds much worse. Knowing how to treat pertussis with SAP, makes the vaccine even more usless, IMO. I will never risk that shot with any of my kids or myself again. Knowledge of treatment is power!

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#51 of 98 Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 AM

Please share with us the age/s of those who were affected: 32 and 11
whether or not they'd been vaxed: fully: me, 3 doses: dd
the severity of the disease: Me: awful. DD: not fun but not so bad.
how you treated it, and what effects the treatment/s had

DD started coughing in late September 2004. We didn't think much of it--because she was well when she wasn't actually coughing. By the time of the national election, I had "a cold". I felt off but well enough the next weekend to go to a convention. The next weekend, I think, was when I really started coughing. DD was still sick--but through this all, she missed only 1 week of school because we never realized it was pertussis until she was no longer contagious. I was pregnant at the time, 2nd tri.

Long about the week of Thanksgiving, I was horribly sick--felt asthma-y and thought maybe I had a walking pneumonia--the urgent care gave me a breathing treatment and got my lungs open and offered me amox... I told them better make it zithromax since it might be walking pneumonia. It is entirely possible that without the zithro I would have been hospitalized--amox would have done nothing, but zithro probably helped a little and stopped me from being contagious.

I was diagnosed over the phone on Thanksgiving by someone who heard me whooping over the phone (a doc). They told me to take Robitussin DM... it didn't help much. Dark cocoa helped a fair amount. Some days I didn't take my CPAP (I have sleep apnea anyway) off at all--it was the only way I could get my lungs back open after a paroxysm.

I broke a rib I coughed so hard. When that happened, they prescribed codeine, which helped both the pain and the coughing.

The classic treatment was what finally worked...you know, put 100 rocks in your pocket, and take one out every day, and when your pocket is empty, you're cured. Basically I just had to wait it out. I was finally officially no longer sick at 36 weeks pregnant after falling sick at 22 weeks. My second daughter was born at 41 weeks 4 days, and while she has a serious genetic issue, it has nothing to do with the whooping cough or the meds I took while pg.

DD1 only whooped while walking to school. I, otoh, could not get out of bed for days on end and it really set my health back and I still feel the repercussions of bedrest... but it was just one of many bricks thrown at me that year.

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#52 of 98 Old 01-08-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
out of my own curiousity- did you take it in SA form, and if so, did it not help at all? or just not enough? how much were you taking?

No, I did not take the SA form; took the Ascorbic Acid. DH bought a HUGE bottle of it and I didn't think it would be that much different and didn't want to complain. After reading a little more about SA I'm still wondering why that is so much better than AA? Does the buffering make that much of a difference?
#53 of 98 Old 01-08-2007, 04:06 PM

yes, it makes a huge difference. we have a huge bottle of AA too and it never gets used anymore

jenrose- my dd has 18q23 deletion and micro-duplication of 3p24.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#54 of 98 Old 01-08-2007, 08:53 PM

Is SA safe in megadoses while nursing? This seems like a stupid question because my 12-month-old can take the actual SA directly right? So certainly it would be fine through BM?
#55 of 98 Old 01-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Hi thanks for this thread... what's SA?

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#56 of 98 Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enudely View Post
Hi thanks for this thread... what's SA?
S/A = sodium ascorbate. I'm guessing that SAP is Sodium Ascorbate Protocol, but I could be wrong.
#57 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 12:01 AM

I have to say, this thread is making the DTap sound kinda good Not sure this was the intention

I hate vomiting and I have a phobia of not being able to breathe or of watching others not able to breathe (this is a result of an experience I had after thyroid surgery when I stopped breathing twice...but that's a whole 'nother thread).

Not that I think the DTap works or that I would give it knowing all the stuff I know now, but wow, pertussis sounds really scary!
#58 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 02:12 AM

i dont know DQmama personally all i could think reading through is wow almost everyone who has had pertussis in this thread was vaxxed...
#59 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren23 View Post
i dont know DQmama personally all i could think reading through is wow almost everyone who has had pertussis in this thread was vaxxed...
But, when were they vaxed? Not being snarky with that question. That was the issue with the recent outbreak in the Chicago area. The upperclassmen had not been given the booster, but most of the freshmen had. There were about 28 cases in the upperclassmen, but only about 2 in the freshmen. That makes me think that the vax and booster can/do work. DS has been vaxed recently, but I am seriously considering getting the booster for myself, as well. Just don't think I could go through it, and I can't imagine a child going through it!

I just went to the pulmonologist today (X-rays again; pulmonary function tests) and we're still trying to work out this possible GERD problem. But, if I had not had the test for pertussis (swab and other) I would still be convinced I had pertussis. (I think I mentioned in another post I had seen a link on a chronic cough site/pertussis thread to a GERD site.) Frankly, I wish I did have pertussis because then I'd almost be through with it! Most of the rocks would be gone from my pocket!
#60 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imvishta View Post
But, when were they vaxed? Not being snarky with that question. That was the issue with the recent outbreak in the Chicago area. The upperclassmen had not been given the booster, but most of the freshmen had. There were about 28 cases in the upperclassmen, but only about 2 in the freshmen. That makes me think that the vax and booster can/do work. DS has been vaxed recently, but I am seriously considering getting the booster for myself, as well. Just don't think I could go through it, and I can't imagine a child going through it!

I just went to the pulmonologist today (X-rays again; pulmonary function tests) and we're still trying to work out this possible GERD problem. But, if I had not had the test for pertussis (swab and other) I would still be convinced I had pertussis. (I think I mentioned in another post I had seen a link on a chronic cough site/pertussis thread to a GERD site.) Frankly, I wish I did have pertussis because then I'd almost be through with it! Most of the rocks would be gone from my pocket!
Did they do a blood test?
A swab wouldn't show pertussis at this point because the bacteria are mostly gone once "the cough" sets in.
But if you're serology says you haven't had pertussis in a while, then it wasn't pertussis.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page