Pertussis: First hand EXPERIENCES - share your story HERE - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Regarding the effectiveness of the pertussis vaccine:

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/~maini/PKM...ations/157.pdf

Quote:
The obtained figures indicate that in New Zealand the
effective vaccination rate against pertussis is lower
than 50%, and perhaps even as low as 33% of the
population. These figures contradict the medical
statistics which claim that more than 80% of the
newborns in New Zealand are vaccinated against
pertussis (Turner et al., 2000). This contradiction is
due to the mentioned unreliability of the available
vaccine.
The fact that the fraction of immune population
obtained here is considerably lower than the
fraction of vaccinated population implies a high level
of vaccination failure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
Did they do a blood test?
A swab wouldn't show pertussis at this point because the bacteria are mostly gone once "the cough" sets in.
But if you're serology says you haven't had pertussis in a while, then it wasn't pertussis.
Yes, they did a nasal swab and a blood test, AND a "spit test," although I'm not sure if that was also for the pertussis or not. I knew the nasal swab wouldn't show anything by that time. So, I know I didn't have it, but still have this huge fear of it as my symptoms have been just like pertussis. I can not go through this again!

Also, significant I think, about 15 years ago I caught the flu, had over a 105 fever, taken to the ER, waited "forever" (probably was dehydrated then), and after some time (have no idea how long) was being sent home... According to a man who saw this, while in the wheelchair waiting for my ride home I turned green and passed out. Back in the ER my BP was 60/40 which a friend who worked for a cardiologist said was almost dead! If I'd made it to the car and gotten in traffic I probably wouldn't have made it. I spent three days in the hospital of which I remember less than an hour. I remember waking and hearing my fever was still spiking and thinking that I must be dying. Having that experience and now this horribly violent cough, it just scares me.

What concerned me also was that I tried to get information about any reports of pertussis in my area and found that only in North Georgia had any been reported. But, when I called the health department (since my doctor wasn't interested in testing me for anything), first of all they didn't even know the term "pertussis," and after I explained it is Whooping Cough they told me that they don't test for it! Well, then how can there be reports if they don't test?

But, yes, if you think you have it make sure they do more than the nasal swab. It's rarely reliable.
#63 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imvishta View Post
YBack in the ER my BP was 60/40 which a friend who worked for a cardiologist said was almost dead!
: I'm sorry you went through such a rough time. 60/40 is definitely cause for concern but doesn't necessarily mean almost dead. After hemorrhaging my bp stayed right around that level for 12hrs and I was still released home from hospital on iron supplements since the bleeding cause had been treated and was under control... It is a scary feeling, but it's not almost dead... At one point before I was rushed into surgery they couldn't get my bp or pulse in my arm, but I was still semi-conscious... so your bp can go pretty low. It all depends on the cause of bp being so low.

Just to reassure you that your friends comment was worst case scenario.

Although I do hear what you're saying about being fearful of any kind of illness.

#64 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 AM

If you've read a lot about GERD and it seems right, then cool. But just an FYI, there's another bacteria called parapertussis that's not quite as common as pertussis, but is something that also happens, that is very similar in symptoms.
If you're GERD is gone in a few months, I'd think it was parapertussis.
#65 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
S/A = sodium ascorbate. I'm guessing that SAP is Sodium Ascorbate Protocol, but I could be wrong.
SAP= Sodium Ascorbate Powder

BTW- I mentioned it above, but my boys who had it were #1- fully vaxed and #2 had 3 out of 4 for his age at the time.

Anyone scared by this thread should *really* just consider how many people have pertussis and never even know it, and think about how if you were educated enough to realize the symptoms right away and started treating with SAP, it would likely never get bad at all. You can read through MT's past threads to see that....

I mean, having been through it for my 2 boys and my dh, *I* am more convinced than even not to use that vaccine for my new babe, so- clearly it wasn't that bad, and we didn't even know how to treat it for most of the duration.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#66 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQMama View Post
I have to say, this thread is making the DTap sound kinda good Not sure this was the intention

Not that I think the DTap works or that I would give it knowing all the stuff I know now, but wow, pertussis sounds really scary!
That's what I was thinking. I don't know how I or my kids could go through coughing so hard we break ribs, being up all night for possibly weeks, coughing to the point of losing bladder control, etc. There is no way- I have no help here- how could I even take care of my kids. Pertussis does sound like it could be a big deal sometimes. But I guess if you do everything to keep your immune systems functioning well, then your chances of getting it that bad are reduced. Heck, even when my ds is coughing w/ a sinus infection, no one in the house sleeps and life grinds to halt- I can't imagine that going on for weeks.

It was the one vax I did get for my baby, but I hated the reaction so much that I stopped- even though it was a totally mild reaction, it was too much for me and I never want to see that happen again.

Quote:
What concerned me also was that I tried to get information about any reports of pertussis in my area and found that only in North Georgia had any been reported. But, when I called the health department (since my doctor wasn't interested in testing me for anything), first of all they didn't even know the term "pertussis," and after I explained it is Whooping Cough they told me that they don't test for it! Well, then how can there be reports if they don't test?
Ugh. I can't believe they didn't even know 'pertussis'! Really gives you confidence in what they say!!
#67 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 03:02 PM

Thanks everyone! And, mamakay, I'll look into the parapertussis. We're still waiting to see if the Prevacid works, but it just still seems odd to me as I feel this in my chest, yet my mucous is clear/white and not infected. I'm going to look it up right now!

To the poster worried about taking care of your children... yes, that's a huge concern. DH is a professor so was off for a couple of weeks during the holidays and did everything around here. I'm still exhausted and have trouble resting/sleeping. We've watched sooooooo many cartoons it's pathetic. And, after a day or two of thinking I'm okay (minor attacks) I'll go back to a medium or major one. I've been wearing Poise pads for almost two months now, but decided I could go without one the last few days... then, yesterday morning... And, I don't mean the little bit like when someone sneezes during or after pregnancy; I mean major loss of control. I'm trying to get back out these days, but am so exhausted...

Anyone with any other advice or ideas like the parapertussis please let me know!
#68 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 04:37 PM

honestly Im not sure how I feel about pertussis...some days it find it scary, some days I think we'd be able to deal

What doesnt help is that my step mom told me she had chicken pox, mumps, measles, rubella and pertussis as a child....and that the pertussis was horrible--far worse than anything else she had....yuck!
#69 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren23 View Post
i dont know DQmama personally all i could think reading through is wow almost everyone who has had pertussis in this thread was vaxxed...
Oh, I never said I thought it worked. In fact I said, "Not that I think the DTap works..." What I guess I meant was, I thought perhaps an intention of this thread was to reassure those on the fence or unsure about DTap that pertussis is not so bad. Like the other threads where we talk about how measles and CP are harmless. If I was a pro-vaxer (which I'm not) the DTap would sound good to me on the basis of this thread alone I can see now that I was unclear.
#70 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 05:21 PM

DS and DD had it in Feb-March of 06. DS was vaxxed up to the age of 18 months, then I stopped. DD has not been vaxxed. DS got it really bad, to where he would wake up whooping and vomit.
DD whooped an awful lot, especially when in her carseat asleep.
We visited the ped for the diagnosis and DS had a horrible fit of whooping, so diagnosis was easy! We were all prescribed the icky abx, but only used it for about half the time. I was/am doing childcare, so had to stop because of the county...*everyone* we came in contact with had to be seen...blah, blah, blah.
The most successful treatment was tons of SA.
The pertussis wasn't as scary as all the communication with the county. They treated us like lepers! :

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#71 of 98 Old 01-10-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrose View Post
Please share with us the age/s of those who were affected: 32 and 11
whether or not they'd been vaxed: fully: me, 3 doses: dd
the severity of the disease: Me: awful. DD: not fun but not so bad.
how you treated it, and what effects the treatment/s had

DD started coughing in late September 2004. We didn't think much of it--because she was well when she wasn't actually coughing. By the time of the national election, I had "a cold". I felt off but well enough the next weekend to go to a convention. The next weekend, I think, was when I really started coughing. DD was still sick--but through this all, she missed only 1 week of school because we never realized it was pertussis until she was no longer contagious. I was pregnant at the time, 2nd tri.

Long about the week of Thanksgiving, I was horribly sick--felt asthma-y and thought maybe I had a walking pneumonia--the urgent care gave me a breathing treatment and got my lungs open and offered me amox... I told them better make it zithromax since it might be walking pneumonia. It is entirely possible that without the zithro I would have been hospitalized--amox would have done nothing, but zithro probably helped a little and stopped me from being contagious.

I was diagnosed over the phone on Thanksgiving by someone who heard me whooping over the phone (a doc). They told me to take Robitussin DM... it didn't help much. Dark cocoa helped a fair amount. Some days I didn't take my CPAP (I have sleep apnea anyway) off at all--it was the only way I could get my lungs back open after a paroxysm.

I broke a rib I coughed so hard. When that happened, they prescribed codeine, which helped both the pain and the coughing.

The classic treatment was what finally worked...you know, put 100 rocks in your pocket, and take one out every day, and when your pocket is empty, you're cured. Basically I just had to wait it out. I was finally officially no longer sick at 36 weeks pregnant after falling sick at 22 weeks. My second daughter was born at 41 weeks 4 days, and while she has a serious genetic issue, it has nothing to do with the whooping cough or the meds I took while pg.

DD1 only whooped while walking to school. I, otoh, could not get out of bed for days on end and it really set my health back and I still feel the repercussions of bedrest... but it was just one of many bricks thrown at me that year.

Wow. And all that coughing for weeks didn't put you into premature labor?
#72 of 98 Old 01-11-2007, 01:34 AM

Both my (unvaxed) kids had WC

htey are 6 and 16 currently

my older boy was 5 when he got it, he was fairly sick and did cough pretty hard for about two months and a little for another month, we spent a lot of time in a steamy bathroom and in my homeopaths ofc!, he managed OK though and we took it in stride (was glad actually)

my little guy was three and had a much milder case, he "whooped" for about aweek after coughing pretty hard, esp at night, after another week or two of average coughing he was fine

honestly, it was no biggie, my older boy had CP's very mildly at six, and I *think* my little guy had mumps but very mild, none of this was a big deal at all.. bring it on > I say!
#73 of 98 Old 01-11-2007, 02:58 AM

My youngest is 18m old and was diagnosed with pertussis at 2m old. It was quite the ordeal because it happened during Hurricane Katrina when she began showing signs of illness.
It was something definitely not to fool with. My daughter was hospitalized for nearly a week, did get some 02 therapy, and had to be intubated. Her pulse ox levels during spells were often in the low 70s and she had a hard time recovering from them. She was completely breastfed btw.
We did do the antibiotics even though I had read here that they did not help. I had read on other sites that in infants, antibiotics had shown to improve outcome. Since the other baby, from the same ped. practice, the same as my baby died in the NICU at the neighboring Women's & Chidlren's Hospital, I decided to do the antibiotics. We began to see improvement in less than 24 hours after administering them. Also, my pediatrician is older and had experience with pertussis, he has also dealth with pertussis overseas in countries where there is little to no vaccination. I trusted his judgement and I am glad we did.
My baby contracted the illness from an adult (who was diagnosed months after her by our family physician). We were assigned a case worker from our states infectious disease department and a worker from our local health department. More than 20 something people were given prophalyctic antibiotics to contain the disease that we personally came in contact with. Because it was during Hurricane Katrina, many of us had shared our homes with one another, so there was some serious concern about an outbreak since another family had also had a similar background (the ones who lost their baby). Also, the nurses also had to get scripts too. Out of all those exposed, a handfull of us got the disease. One non-vaxed child got it pretty bad, he has asthma, his mother - who was pregnant at the time, a few others, and myself. The neighbor who we got it from had been sick for over 3 months when he was finally diagnosed. His own doctor swore to him adults didn't get pertussis. @@

My baby had the cough for months, she also contracted RSV several months later. She has been fairly healthy since then.

I have been all over the spectrum with vaccination and natural therapies. Now we vax some on schedule, some delayed, and some none at all. I also support adult boosters for pertussis. (which I am not willing to debate)

I just want to say too, that we had confirmed documented cases of pertussis (that were documented with our state health department). I think sometimes people *think their child had WC, when they really do not. These people will often be the first ones to offer you advice on how they treated it.

I also have had two older children with it, and while they faired much better, mega doses of vitamins, etc did not improve the outcome or shorten the illness. In fact my daughter developed pnemonia (she was 5). I just think too many people do not see pertussis as a serious illness and really take advantage of the fact that the masses have been vaccinated against it, thus protecting them and their children.
#74 of 98 Old 01-11-2007, 03:17 AM

I study the history of medicine, where it's clear that vaccines did NOT bring about the big rise in life expectancy at the beginning of the 20th century. (There is at least one prominent historian of medicine who does not vax his kids...). But whooping cough is not really something you want to mess with in a very young child, I think--older ones seem to do OK, but the little ones can have big trouble. In our society now we have things like oxygen tents and intubation, so you can probably assume that a really bad case still might not suffocate your kid because of this technology. But these options have not always been around, and I do think that not vaccinating for pertussis is also showing faith in the rest of medicine to 'save' your child if they do get really really sick.

I am skeptical of many vaccines, but in this particular case it might be worth it. My doctor said "Whooping cough is always around," and in my university lots of undergrads had it last year; one of my students was sick for almost the entire semester. A teenager isn't likely to end up in the hospital, though, but a baby might. On the other hand, if you make it to age 2 or 3 without a case then your kid might be fine even if they do catch it.

It's a tough call, I think. If you lived in a densely populated area you might want the vaccine, but if you're out in the country where you don't have contact with loads of people you might not have to worry so much.
#75 of 98 Old 01-11-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller2 View Post
But these options have not always been around, and I do think that not vaccinating for pertussis is also showing faith in the rest of medicine to 'save' your child if they do get really really sick....
It's a tough call, I think. If you lived in a densely populated area you might want the vaccine, but if you're out in the country where you don't have contact with loads of people you might not have to worry so much.
I don't not vaccinate for pertussis because I'm a SAHM that doesn't get out much, relying on "the herd", or because I have a hospital nearby to "save" my child if she "really gets sick". I do not vaccinate because I believe my child is more likely to be harmed by DTaP (acknowledged to be highly reactive and has been shown to depress respiration in infants) than to not only contract pertussis, but to have a case severe enough to need hospital care.

I would like to read about why you are "skeptical of many vaccines, but in this particular case it might be worth it (my first ped, and peds of many others here, have made quite similar statements about their "pet" vax)" but to stay on topic that should be another thread.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#76 of 98 Old 01-11-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
These people will often be the first ones to offer you advice on how they treated it.

I also have had two older children with it, and while they faired much better, mega doses of vitamins, etc did not improve the outcome or shorten the illness. In fact my daughter developed pnemonia (she was 5).
On the first part I quoted, that may be *your* experience, but I have found on *this* forum, that most people will point you to real information:
http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorba...v8-n4-p229.htm
It isn't just someone's opinion whose child never really had pertussis. That was where I learned about using Sodium Ascorbate..

To the second part I quoted- were your older children vaccinated when they got pertussis?

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#77 of 98 Old 01-11-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Unless you have a confirmed case, you will never know if you had it. You can only assume.
The same can be said for chicken pox, the flu, my canker sore, etc. As it turns out, many people *can* recognize pertussis without a clinical test. That is not my point though, my point is that you did what you felt was right for your child and it worked out. Other have done the same (choosing different treatments). There are medical professionals who feel that the Sodium ascorbate treatment is the way to go, and many others who think antibiotics are the answer We each have to decide which we will place our trust in and which makes the most sense to us.

#78 of 98 Old 01-24-2007, 01:20 AM

just bumping as it took me HOURS to find this tread and thought it might be helpful to others...
#79 of 98 Old 02-07-2007, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am about 95% sure that dd has whooping cough as of right now. At first I thought that it was croup, but then she got the whoop and the cough is persisting. I have had her on a high zinc multivitamin and an echinacea/vit C pill for kids. I don't have the money for SA right now, but she has shown improvement after a few days of taking the vitamins. She does puke every once in awhile with the cough.

But really, it hasn't been anything bad. My oldest dd just had this (still has it )but it is not nearly as bad since starting the vitamins. I also give them lots and lots of fluids. The cough syrups don't work, either, except making them pass out.

They don't get many coughing attacks a day, and I would not rate this as a bad disease at all. Teething is worse.

Oh yeah, and I believe my oldest dd (6) was fully vaccinated for Pertussis (we just recently stopped), and my youngest only had the firt two before we stopped. She is 2 now. I would never give my kids the DTap vax, still. There are risks in everything. I believe getting the disease is less risky than getting the vax, for sure.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#80 of 98 Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Banned

We just had a playdate with a friend whose kid has been coughing for about 3months. For some reason she forgot to mention that the cough wasn't gone yet when we were planning the playdate. He boy is vax'd. She said he didn't throw up and didn't have the whop in his cough. I don't know how whooping cough should sound like but his did sound pretty bad to me.
So here I am worrying about WC now. My 20m.o. ds got 3 DTaP shots before we stopped vax-ing and my 3m.o. daughter is not vax'd. Is there a chance it is WC? If so would it be still congestive after 3 months?
thanks,
yulia.
#81 of 98 Old 02-08-2007, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
There is a chance...I think that the bacteria is hard to test once the cough sets in, though, right?

My niece has had a cough for about 2 years now almost every day. Her parents smoke, she is vaxed and goes to daycare. Every time we are around her we get it and it is a really bad cough. She has had croup twice that she has been diagnosed with. It may just be that. I would up your vit. C and other immune boosters just in case.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#82 of 98 Old 02-08-2007, 01:28 PM

1.Please share with us the age/s of those who were affected: ds (8 months at the time), myself (27 at the time)

2.Whether or not they'd been vaxed: ds had 3 doses of DTaP and came down with perussis shortly after the third dose, I am unvaxed and we aren't sure if dh was vaxed

3.The severity of the disease: ds had a bad cough that lasted a good 2 weeks (the worst coughing was at night), pink eyes and no appetite. I had a cough that wasn't quite as sever but lasted about 3 weeks and also no appetite.

4.How you treated it and what effects the treatment/s had: origionally the doctor thought he had bronchitis (which had been happeneing after each round of vaxes: ), but I pushed for him to check for pertussis. Sure enough, that's what he had. I started out giving him abx but stopped after 2 days because I learned that they wouldn't do any good and might make the problem worse, so instead I called his doctor back to find out what kind of Vitamin C does would be safe at his age to treat WC (learned that from you-know-who's book ). I came down with it about a week later because I was so busy taking care of him that I didn't think to dope up on VIT C myself to prevent it! We got through it with no complications and minimal discomfort once the worst of the coughing started to fade away. Dh had barely a light cough, but he had also been taking mega doses of Vit C and sleeping on the couch.
#83 of 98 Old 04-27-2007, 08:51 PM

After reading through this thread I am positive I had pertussis in college when I was 19. I had this terrible "cold" that started out as congestion and then moved to a really bad cough that made me throw up several times. Then it settled into a horrible hacking cough with a barking sound at the end of it. The cough would come upon me at all times of the day and night and I couldn't control it. I went to my campus health services and they said it was my asthma changing form (from wheezing to coughing). I never questioned it at the time but now I wonder. They just told me to keep using my inhaler (which really did nothing for it). The cough lasted over a month and then I had bruised ribs for about another month that would ache whenever I sneezed.

Sounds like pertussis, doesn't it?

I was fully vaxed as a kid.

Does having the actual illness it create any sort of an immunity? And if so how long does it last?

Our first baby is due this June and we are going with a selective/delayed schedule. The only one I am slightly worried about is the DaPT. Really bad vax but unsure of how bad it would be if baby got it (we live in Washington where rates are pretty high). Glad this thread exists.

-Joanne
#84 of 98 Old 04-27-2007, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, a barking cough (think, like a seal) is indicative of croup.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#85 of 98 Old 04-28-2007, 03:48 AM

I thought croup was a childhood illness. I actually had croup many times when I was younger. But would I have had it at 19? And would it have lasted a month?

Well, maybe it wasn't pertussis. It just sounded like it with the throwing up at the end of coughing spells and the cough lasting for so long and the bruised ribs. It was such a strange "cold" and such a weird diagnosis by the doctors (asthma changing form).

Oh well. I thought I had figured it out . . .
#86 of 98 Old 04-28-2007, 04:38 AM
Spy

I had pertussis at the age of 29.
Fully vaccinated as a kid (3 doses wholecell)

Severe. A couple months with a classic whoop/going blue/suffocating and another six months just barking like crazy. My coworkers teased me 'german shepherd'.

Three or four (don't remember) courses of different antibiotics, trying new ones when previous ones didn't do a thing. Which about did me in completely at some point, I got really vitamin deficient and weak. At this point I happened to have done a blood test (just a general one, not for a bug) the results of which came so bad the clinic didn't want to give them to me. I might have had it complicated with pneumonia, which was suspected, but I never did the Xray to confirm it. In the end, I dropped all drugs altogether, started taking some vitamins and then slowly recovered.

My 7 year old unvaccinated son has been in contact for the whole time and didn't cough once.
#87 of 98 Old 04-29-2007, 05:39 PM

I recently thought I had pertussis, but it turned out to be nerve damage in my throat. From what I read about pertussis the vaccine does wear off by the teen years, which is why they are now offering a booster for teens and adults. From what you've written about the bruising it does sound like pertussis. However, once you have it there is nothing you can do for it except try to boost your immune system with some vitamin C and try sleeping upright in a recliner. Also, it's difficult to diagnose with the nasal swab so always get the "spit" test, too.

Here are links to a couple of other threads in which I posted (includes links to articles) when I was convinced I had pertussis and received advice from others:

I want to start selectively vaxing my 5 year old.
https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=565681
(My pertussis post is on the last page.)

Pertussis "prevention" tip
https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=557530

"Pertussis, booster for adults, and healing; x-posted in vaccinations"
https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=566920

"Pertussis, booster for adults, and healing; x-posted in vaccinations" https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=566920

Pertussis vax at age 2?
https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=569099

As far as what to do about the vaccine for an infant, I'll leave that up to others who are more informed on that topic. I am considering getting a booster for myself. I don't think I can go through this much coughing ever again!
#88 of 98 Old 04-30-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merilin View Post
I had it myself 3 times at ages 3, 5 and 10, my sister had it with 2, my brother with 6months.
I'm not at all questioning that you were seriously ill, but it seems weird to me that you could have had pertussis three times? I would think having it once would create immunity to it for a while (longer than the years between your episodes). Could it be that you were misdiagnosed and had another serious illness or two? I'm not doubting you, I'm doubting the doctors who treated you only because it's not uncommon for them to misdiagnose.

Kristin

Mama to Laurel '06 & high needs Will '09
Crunchy in mainstream suburbia | Sleep-deprived WAHM
#89 of 98 Old 04-30-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorsky View Post
I'm not at all questioning that you were seriously ill, but it seems weird to me that you could have had pertussis three times? I would think having it once would create immunity to it for a while (longer than the years between your episodes). Could it be that you were misdiagnosed and had another serious illness or two? I'm not doubting you, I'm doubting the doctors who treated you only because it's not uncommon for them to misdiagnose.

Kristin
Actually, immunity to pertussis fades really, really fast. It would be unlikely that you'd have a really bad case just a couple of years apart, but a minor case just a few years after having it is very plausible.

ETA:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Quote:
To investigate the frequency of unrecognized Bordetella pertussis infections in adults, we performed IgA and IgG ELISA antibody studies with four B. pertussis antigens--i.e., lymphocytosis-promoting factor, filamentous hemagglutinin, pertactin, and fimbriae-2--in 51 health care workers from whom six consecutive yearly serum samples (from 1984 to 1989) were available. Overall, 90% of the subjects had a significant increase in antibody (IgA or IgG) to one or more antigens between 2 consecutive years during the 5-year study period; 55% of subjects had evidence of two infections, 17% had three infections, and 4% had four infections.
#90 of 98 Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 PM

This is SO interesting reading these experiences of pertussis in adults because it sounds just like what my dad experienced several years ago. He coughed terribly for months and was very worn out (any illness is worse in him because he is an overworked, self employed farmer who gets no time off! ) and never really got an official diagnosis though he visited several doctors. I think the general consensus was a shrug of the shoulders and,"chronic bronchitis?"

He was likely vaccinated at some point prior to that and us kids were as well. Very interesting...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page