Pertussis: First hand EXPERIENCES - share your story HERE - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

#91 of 98 Old 07-18-2007, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
Heidi Great idea.

I don't have "first hand experience" as *I* never had it, but- last Fall my 2 ds's and dh had it.

My then 4 year old ds, who was fully vaxed for his age, and my then 20 month ds, who had 3 out of 4 shots, got it the worst, although Dh had a good case too.

At first we didn't know what it was, and my Dr. diagnosed "allergies" in my 4 year old, and gave us an allergy med to try, which, of course, did nothing. When my younger ds caught the "allergies" I knew we were dealing with something more. When I found that cold air and shower did not help, I started to realize it wasn't croup. As it went on, my younger ds started to vomit/cough up a gelatin-like whitish-clear yuck. I started reading here and found a link to the sound of pertussis and the symptoms, etc. I then realized that was definitely what we had (my husband and youngest got the "whoop" eventually).

When I finally realized what it was, read how to treat it with SA, and actually bought the SA at the Natural Foods store, things improved in only a couple of days.

Unfortunately, I had spent many many weeks at that point stuffing cough syrups and such into my boys to try to allow them to sleep.

I admit, the disease really was hard on us, but- if we had known about the SA and gotten a good diagnosis early on, I am certain it would've been quite manageable.

There is not a snowball's chance in hell of me using that vaccine for future children, as I know first hand that it doesn't work, and my 3rd child did react to the vaccine (hence him having 3 out of 4).

It's kind of like Rotavirus for me, those 3 were the worst things we have dealt with (I know I am Blessed in that way) medically with our kids, and if there were some magic way to ensure none of my other kids ever got those things, I would be thrilled. However, given that vaccines are not safe, IMO, and don't work IME, I will instead learn to treat things and know when to seek outside help.

My point? Learn about how to use SA for pertussis, it really is as simple as that.

ETA: my kids acted pretty "healthy" during the day, the worst of the disease was definitely at night.
Wow this SA stuff sounds really powerful. What Is It??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 98 Old 07-18-2007, 05:24 PM

I was fully vaxed as a child. I think I may have had pertussis as a teen, although if I did have it the case wasn't super-severe.

I remember coughing and coughing until I thought I'd maybe cracked a rib. I wanted to just stop breathing because it seemed like breathing made me cough, and it was just so much work trying to breathe when I kept coughing and coughing. I felt like I was going to die. I think the dx was bronchitis. I don't remember how long it lasted--weeks, I think. I don't think I was in any real danger, but it was sure miserable.

Interestingly enough, if I remember the timing right, for months after that I was somewhat short-breathed and would have coughing spells that were diagnosed as exercise-induced asthma. But the "asthma" eventually went away.

Just a few months ago I had a bad coughing illness with coughing spells that I couldn't stand up or walk through, and I felt like I would suffocate or break something. I had the loss of bladder control and near-vomiting, but it lasted only a few days or a week, so I'm sure it couldn't have been pertussis. Just a normal bad cough is so miserable. I hate coughing.

My husband's sister and her family had pertussis recently, and it was really serious. The newborn baby had to be hospitalized for quite some time and was in serious danger. My brother-in-law was also extremely ill with it--turning colors and struggling to breathe; my SIL said that she was truly worried for her husband's life when that kept happening (along with being worried for the baby's life, who was even more ill). BIL would beg for help between coughing spells because he would have such long spells of being unable to get his breath.

The rest of the family had lighter cases. I think they follow a normal vaccination schedule, which would mean the baby was too young to vaccinate and BIL wouldn't have been vaccinated since childhood, but the other children were probably vaccinated.

The family was quarantined until they had all been on antibiotics for a certain amount of time, and all their close contacts were given antibiotics. The baby did recover without permanent lung damage, which was a relief. We were worried about that.

We spent time with them when they still thought they all just had bad colds, before it turned really severe. But since we were outdoors at a park for just a few hours, there wasn't much risk of us catching it. The doctor said we would have needed to have been essentially indoors with them for a number of hours to be really at high risk of catching it.

Ironically enough, another family we are close to had been exposed to pertussis right around the same time, too . . . a child they spend several hours a day with had been coughing for weeks before getting a pertussis dx. They all went on antibiotics because they were at risk. But they didn't catch the pertussis. (They were all vaccinated, too--I don't know about the child who had it.)

We were offered antibiotics when my kids came down with bad coughs a week or two later, since we'd possibly been exposed twice during the right time period. But we decided to wait until the swabs came back or it got worse to go on them. By the time the swabs came back negative the next week, the kids' coughs were better, so we never gave them the abx.

I mentioned to the doctor that I was mainly worried about Baby E getting it, since she is unvaccinated. He shrugged and commented that the pertussis vaccine "isn't all that effective, anyway."

The disease really does scare me, especially for infants. But I'm not convinced the vaccine is effective enough to be worth it.
#93 of 98 Old 08-02-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

bump for cynotgirl

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs

#94 of 98 Old 12-07-2007, 08:06 AM

age/s of those who were affected: 3 years old

whether or not they'd been vaxed: yup

the severity of the disease: pretty bad. we got home from the UC tonight and they are probably going to admit him tomorrow, to the hospital due to complications.... been going on for a month now.

how you treated it: we got a script for atbx tonight, but weve been using VasoTan and some other OTC stuff

and what effects the treatment/s had. - nothings helping it. ugh
#95 of 98 Old 12-07-2007, 12:20 PM

what exactly is SA?
#96 of 98 Old 12-07-2007, 01:03 PM

Wow, it amazes me that most of you whose families were affected by WC have been vaccinated.

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#97 of 98 Old 12-07-2007, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SA is sodium ascorbate, a powder form of vitamin C.
#98 of 98 Old 12-07-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildecat View Post
Wow, it amazes me that most of you whose families were affected by WC have been vaccinated.
yeah... im kind of pissed because this one one vax we actually counted on

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page