Pertussis: First hand EXPERIENCES - share your story HERE - Mothering Forums

#1 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since those who are on the fence about vaxes seem particularly afraid of this disease, maybe we should have a thread specifically for those who've experienced whooping cough first hand. Please share with us the age/s of those who were affected, whether or not they'd been vaxed, the severity of the disease, how you treated it, and what effects the treatment/s had.

We should hear from everyone - those who used "traditional" methods like abx, and those who used alternative treatments like megadoses of Vit C, SA, etc.

And then maybe we can have it archived?

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 02:11 PM

*DS-2yrs 3DTaP
*Me-29yrs; 5mo pregnant; most recent vaxes '99.
-Did not visit Dr
-Treated only with tea, honey and garlic (wasn't using SA then).

We had traveled from TX to NY in February for 20days to visit family. Two weeks later ds, at night, ds started with a couple rounds of dry coughing. It got worse and he had bouts of paroxysmal coughing 3-4 times a night; a couple of times during the day. His cough lasted about six weeks total.

A couple of weeks after he got sick I got sick (before the cough I had a 24 GI tract virus and I think I caught strep from my niece who had back to back bouts all winter). I woke up in the middle of the night with a sore throat (odd that it woke me up); I also had a bit of a stuffy nose. 5 days later (after a return plane ride) it appeared that I had a cold; but after a week I wasn't better. After two weeks my cough was much worse. I would have attacks of a choking cough that lasts from 1 to 2 minutes. By the fourth week the attacks were often with vomiting, severe facial congestions and a feeling of suffocation. My abs HURT and I was having upper quadrant contractions. After four weeks my coughs were not as strong or frequent and gradually petered out over the next two weeks. My cough was actually worse during the day (talking help trigger it) and after I ate. It was odd to me at the time that the "gunk" was clear instead of green or yellow like every other cold that I had.

When I was in college I had walking pneumonia and would deliberately cough up gunk. With the more recent cough I had almost no control over it. The WC was a completely different experience.

...and there will be no more vaxing in my home.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 02:18 PM

:

#4 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 02:23 PM

Please share with us the age/s of those who were affected, Marah Jade was 2 years when she got pertussis
whether or not they'd been vaxed, She recieved two rounds of DaTP at 2 and 4 months.
the severity of the disease, It was a pretty bad cough. Scared me a couple of times just because I had never seen it before. She would stop breathing for a couple of seconds. Never had to be hospitalized or anything.
how you treated it, I gave her ABX : and they gave me cough syrup with codine. I gave her the cough syrup maybe twice. I switched doctors after that and the new doctor got so pissed I gave her codine. She lectured me and told me to never do it again.
and what effects the treatment/s had. The ABX didn't do anything from what I could see. The cough still lasted 100 days or so and she had tussive episodes on the subsequent colds afterwards.
#5 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 02:30 PM

subbing. thanks for this thread. pertussis makes me really nervous.
#6 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
and what effects the treatment/s had. The ABX didn't do anything from what I could see.
That's because they're not to help her, but to keep her from infecting others.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing as well

I want to know what to expect... I assume it will visit us someday.

Good idea skellbelle! Thanks.
#8 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle View Post
Please share with us the age/s of those who were affected,
I had it myself 3 times at ages 3, 5 and 10, my sister had it with 2, my brother with 6months.

Quote:
whether or not they'd been vaxed
During that time, vaxing pertussis was not suggested/required, so we only had the Tda shots, and I had also had a smallpox vax.

Quote:
the severity of the disease, how you treated it, and what effects the treatment/s had.
I don't remember the first time I had it, but the second and third it was very bad, I spent 2 months in the hospital fight pneumonia and ear infection. I was vomiting, coughing, had problems getting enough oxygen (I was in an oxygen tent) had an IV; it was hell. I was treated with abx and special diet. My sister did not have as much trouble, she was suffering quiet a long time as well, vomiting etc, but never was in the hospital, she was treated with abx and diet as well. My little brother did not have the usual symptoms, but had bad apnoe-attacks, so he spent a 10 weeks in the hospital to monitor his breathing, sometime in the ICU. He was treated with abx and an IV as well.

I am not sure, of the effects of the treatment, maybe it would have been much worse, with out the abx, or the special diet; it is hard to tell.

All I know is, that I will vax my kids, both my brother and I almost died from it, it just was very scary to everyone. Although I have to admit, that the doctors were quiet surprised, that I "menaged" to have pertussis three times.
#9 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the thread girls We all know WC scares the ibbys out of me,but I think its getting better having all you great ladys to talk to,and hearing about your times with WC:
#10 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 03:20 PM

subbing :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#11 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 03:21 PM

subbing-A little paranoid about getting it! It will be nice to hear others experiences!
#12 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 06:43 PM

This is an interesting thread. Can't wait to read others' replies.

I am quite sure dd got this after her first vaccination even though she was never officially diagnosed w/it. We stopped vaxing her at 6 months so she had 2 dose of it.)

She whooped and coughed (and sometimes threw up) but she had significant reflux so I didn't connect the things until later.

She did this for many many weeks. Maybe even 2 months (from around 2-4 months of age or so.). I did not take her to the ped because we were experimenting with her reflux and had her on too many meds at that time as it was.

I did not know about SA then either.
#13 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 07:03 PM

Maybe the old timers here can remember her name, but she was from NZ and was amazing with vaccine info, and at one time they had all of her threads archived. One thread was about pertussis, and how to help your child through it step by step. it really helped me be more relaxed about it because the disease scares me. she told step by step how to hold your baby to get them to clear the mucus from their lungs, and other things to do. old timers, what was her name? she had several children, all had pertussis. i feel horrible for forgetting her name though I will never forget her, she was amazing. (around 2001-2003 or so time period.).
#14 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Quoted: 3206 Post(s)
She is still here, but now she has a different name!

Something like Momtezuma T...

but we usually call her MT

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
#15 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 08:02 PM

!!! shows how much I pay attention! what was her old name? it's driving me crazy! I'm so happy she's still around sharing her knowledge.. I remember when she left, was a sad day.
#16 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 08:31 PM

http://www.home-remedies.info/home-r...ping-cough.htm

This website has lots of remedies for pertussis. I think I may have had it last winter/spring. I was pregnant so I couldn't get an x-ray confirmation for bronchitis (the dr's diagnosis) and no tests were run, just a physical exam.

I finally got rid of it after almost 3 months by using fresh turmeric. I used about three finger sizes pieces, peeled and grated them, soaked it in about a cup of water for about a minute and gulped it doen. THE NEXT DAY I felt 100% better after months of misery. As I said, I don't have a medical confirmation that it WAS pertussis, but the link I gave does recommend it.
#17 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 09:41 PM

Heidi Great idea.

I don't have "first hand experience" as *I* never had it, but- last Fall my 2 ds's and dh had it.

My then 4 year old ds, who was fully vaxed for his age, and my then 20 month ds, who had 3 out of 4 shots, got it the worst, although Dh had a good case too.

At first we didn't know what it was, and my Dr. diagnosed "allergies" in my 4 year old, and gave us an allergy med to try, which, of course, did nothing. When my younger ds caught the "allergies" I knew we were dealing with something more. When I found that cold air and shower did not help, I started to realize it wasn't croup. As it went on, my younger ds started to vomit/cough up a gelatin-like whitish-clear yuck. I started reading here and found a link to the sound of pertussis and the symptoms, etc. I then realized that was definitely what we had (my husband and youngest got the "whoop" eventually).

When I finally realized what it was, read how to treat it with SA, and actually bought the SA at the Natural Foods store, things improved in only a couple of days.

Unfortunately, I had spent many many weeks at that point stuffing cough syrups and such into my boys to try to allow them to sleep.

I admit, the disease really was hard on us, but- if we had known about the SA and gotten a good diagnosis early on, I am certain it would've been quite manageable.

There is not a snowball's chance in hell of me using that vaccine for future children, as I know first hand that it doesn't work, and my 3rd child did react to the vaccine (hence him having 3 out of 4).

It's kind of like Rotavirus for me, those 3 were the worst things we have dealt with (I know I am Blessed in that way) medically with our kids, and if there were some magic way to ensure none of my other kids ever got those things, I would be thrilled. However, given that vaccines are not safe, IMO, and don't work IME, I will instead learn to treat things and know when to seek outside help.

My point? Learn about how to use SA for pertussis, it really is as simple as that.

ETA: my kids acted pretty "healthy" during the day, the worst of the disease was definitely at night.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#18 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Spy

I had it at about 29 years old, after full childhood vaccinations, which would have included 3 or 4 doses of pertussis (not sure exactly). It was pretty bad, lasted about 8 months and was not diagnosed until it was over, because, you know, 'it can't be pertussis if you ever touched the ever-protective sacred serum'. 3 or 4 courses of antiboitics (don't remember exactly as by the end of the 2nd course life was quite blurry) one following another, didn't do anything to the cough, but left me so weak and deficient that I developed a pneumonia complication. Stopped all abx, started devouring any possible vitamin I could get a hold of (rather chaotically, I should say, as I was completely ignorant at that point, just had cravings), slowly recovered.

Ironically, my 7-year-old-at-the-time totally vaccine free son was in full contact the whole time and never coughed once. Neither did he get sick when there were two outbreaks at his school.

Also, I do remember quite a number of similar coughs during my childhood but can't be sure it was pertussis, it was obviously not diagnosed as such. It is possible that it wasn't it, but it was common practice to treat colds with dairy milk where I come from, and I think I was somewhat sensitive to it, it always aggravated any cold bringing about 'that' cough, but it didn't last for months.
#19 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle View Post
Please share with us the age/s of those who were affected,
Ds, age 3.25; dd, age 4.75; friend's dd, age 4.25, and other friend's ds, age 5.25

Quote:
whether or not they'd been vaxed
Yes, all four were vaxed, though my ds and dd were not "up to date", and I think ds may have missed a dtap or two (thank goodness) My friend's kids were totally vaxed and up to date with all vaxes.

Quote:
the severity of the disease, how you treated it, and what effects the treatment/s had.
For my two, it wasn't that bad.. annoying as all get out but not that bad. Dd had it worst, interesting since she had more vaxes than my ds, and is older. She had a bad, dry, hacking cough. Kept her and us up at night. Ds had the same situation, but not quite as harsh. It lasted about five weeks for both of them. I wasn't the educated mama I am trying to be now, didn't know about SA or the danger of vaxes, and just kept giving them OTC expectorants and cough syrups.: Tried to give her benadryl to help her sleep at night : : but it didn't work. Ds didn't have any trouble sleeping. Those seemed to help during the day, but not much at night. Never went to the doctor, but might have if I'd had one or insurance at the time. When it occurred to me to put a humidifier in their room, after the five weeks, it all but disappeared literally "over night".

My friends' kids had a similarly mild experience, but one of the other mamas (MamaB, I'll call her) was DETERMINED to get some sort of diagnosis and kept taking her dd back to the doc until they did a "nasal wash" which she said gave them the positive diagnosis of pertussis. MamaB claimed (we're not friends any more, for totally unrelated reasons, but she seemed strangely obsessed with getting her dds "diagnosed" with ANYthing, no matter what she had to put them through for the diagnosis) that humidifiers and cough syrup were not helping her dd at all, and kept talking about how horribly sick dd was, but since we all had the same thing, we all got together regularly over the course of that month, and MamaB's dd didn't seem any worse off than my dc... running, jumping, playing as per usual, stopping regularly to tell anyone who would listen how "bad sick" she was. . (The three of us (me, MamaB and MamaC) had got all four kids together, one was sick, and for the next month or so, they were all hacking away!!)

The other girlfriend, MamaC, did eventually take her ds to the doc, and was given a codeine cough syrup for him, but it didn't help him much. She was told he had reactive airway disease, and given an inhaler in addition to everything else. Neither MamaC nor I could understand MamaB's drive to get the diagnosis, since it seemed to be more upsetting to her dd than the cough itself.

I don't believe either friends' dc were given abx, but I could be wrong! It all ended about 5-6 weeks after it started, seemingly regardless of what any of the three of us had done to control/treat it, and I imagine the effects of the treatment were the standard liver toxicity that results from giving your kids pointless OTC drugs!!

lizzie

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#20 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Our story is still ongoing, but I'll post what I can now, and do an update later on.

DH was the first one with pertussis. He is 30, and was fully vaxed as a child. DH got a severe case of pertussis. He has had the cough for 2 months now and just stopped vomiting while coughing. He is still very limited to what he can do physically, just walking up a flight of stairs winds him, and will exhaust him for the rest of the day. He lost 10 lbs in one week when the cough started because he was vomiting so much from coughing so hard. He did receive ABX, he went to urgent care when DD2 was born because he didn't want to pass what he had on to her. It was dxed as bronchitis, but they happened to give him the same ABX used for pertussis. He has dealt with nausea and severe acid reflex during this, I'm assuming it's from the mucous because he never is able to cough it up.

DD1 who is almost 4, has had it a month and a half at this point. She had her 2 month vaxs and nothing since. She also started out vomiting after coughing so DH took her to a pedi, she got a postive pertussis culture. DH gave her ABX, we were living apart at this point to try to keep DD2 from getting it. I sent SA with DH to give her, he really overdosed her, to the point of severe diarrhea. We had to completely stop dosing her with SA, any small amount after that made her anus really hurt, and she would just cry and cry. I still am unable to give her SA right now. The week that was was on it, we saw a huge decrease in her cough, then it came back after we stopped the SA. She still coughs very frequently, and gags like she is going to throw up, but she hasn't vomited in 2 weeks. She is able to play while she coughs. DD1 still doesn't sleep very well, she coughs alot at night in her sleep.

I got it next. I'm 24 and was fully vaxed as a child. My pertussis was very mild. I had been on megadoses on SA for a couple days before I started coughing, unlike DH and DD1, i never got the cold before the cough, i went start into a severe cough. The bad cough only lasted a couple days, then went to a every once in a while cough. I lost my voice from coughing so hard. A WC cough is way different then any other cough, you have no control over it, it's this severe coughing spasm that literally would drop me to my knees, the entire time I'm thinking all I want to do is breathe, but you can't. My sides would just ache from coughing so hard.

DD2 started coughing and sneezing once in a while when she was 3 weeks old, her cough got severe when she was 6 weeks old. She started throwing up about half her nursings, after several days of that, she stopped nursing all together. We ended up in the hospital this week for several days for her to get rehydrated with an IV. She came home on O2, her cough is still really nasty, i have several threads floating around MDC about her on-going treatment of it. Watching her cough is the worst thing I have ever seen, her tongue is hanging out of her mouth, her eyes are rolling back in her head, arms failing, struggling to breathe... it is a mom's nightmare.

That being said I would not do anything differently, vaxs would not of prevented DD2 from getting it, she was too young for them anyway.

update
It's about 3 months since DD2 got pertussis, and she is doing better now. It has gotten a lot better in the last couple weeks. We had to make another trip to the hospital for another IV. She is finally gaining weight, she weighs 10.5 lbs now at 3.5 months. It's been a long journey, but we'll get through this. She is still on O2, she isn't able to keep her O2 level up on her own yet without it, we keep hoping that she'll be off it soon.

another update
DD2 is 6 months old now, she is still dependent on O2. After several consults, everyone has agreed that our location is the reason for that. We live at 7,500 ft, apparently lung damage in a newborn+the altitude is just too much for her. We are hoping that she will be off O2 in another month or so, barring any illnesses, if she gets so much as a cold then she'll be back on it. She is delayed developmentally, very low muscle tone, it's common in babies with chronic lung disease, which she does have. She still coughs and gags sometimes, it's just a residual cough which I expect to hang around for a while.

I am doing perfectly fine, no issues what so ever. DD1 has snored ever since getting the pertussis and any congestion/cold brings back the nasty gagging/vomiting cough. DH is still having issues. He can't ride his bike, play racket ball anymore, just running up a flight of stairs leaves him struggling to breathe and coughing, very similar to asthma, and we are considering seeing if an inhaler would help him. He is active during the day at his job, and it frequently leaves him very winded, this is 6+ months after the pertussis.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#21 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 10:17 PM

I was fully vaxed as a child and I had pertussis in college, which was misdiagnosed as bronchitis and I was prescribed antibiotics . . . of course, that did absolutely nothing. I dubbed it "The Never-Ending Cough" and went back the doctor, but they just kept telling me it was a bad case of bronchitis.

I also remember throwing up after many of the coughing fits.

That "bronchitis" lasted about three months.
#22 of 98 Old 12-15-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'mmykid'$mom
After two weeks my cough was much worse. I would have attacks of a choking cough that lasts from 1 to 2 minutes. By the fourth week the attacks were often with vomiting, severe facial congestions and a feeling of suffocation. My abs HURT and I was having upper quadrant contractions. After four weeks my coughs were not as strong or frequent and gradually petered out over the next two weeks.
Hmm. I wonder if I had pertussis (I was fully vaxed as a child). I was newly pregnant with my first, and started out with a cold, and ended up coughing so much it would just kill. I went to the doc and was diagnosed with bronchitis (but I don't recall having any testing, I think it was based on symptoms). I was eventually given 3 different treatments to help...I only remember two, those being antibiotics and a strange inhaler type thing.

Anyway, the coughing would come in fits, and sometimes it definitely felt like I was never going to get a chance to breathe again, because it just kept going and going. At the end of the coughing fits I would often gasp for breath. My abs were sore for weeks. The entire illness lasted somewhere between 1-2 months. And I did have a lot of nasal congestion along with it.

Whether it was bronchitis or pertussis, I don't know. But either way, it really really sucked. Easily the worst illness I've had in my entire life. But if there were a vaccination for bronchitis, I still would not get it for myself or my kids...because I know that while it sucks to go through it, it eventually ends and life is fine and dandy again.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#23 of 98 Old 12-16-2006, 12:09 AM

Pregnant with DC #2
Still have WC, slowly recooping
Duration: So far, 6 weeks.
I did, in fact, have the "whoop".
Worst peak in symtoms: About 10 days after cough appeared: slight fever (102 tops), fatigue/lethargy, cold/hot flashes, lasted approx 4 days
Cough: During peak, coughing fits approx every 20 minutes. Worsened with heat/cold. Worsened at night.
Other than the peak days, the cough has just been mildly irritating.

Treatment: no ABX. Vitamins, and surprisingly, a few snacks have helped suppress the cough: popcorn and dark chocolate. I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but sucking on chunks of dark chocolate lessens my coughing quite a bit.

I WAS vax'd for pertussis. DD and DH were not, and so far have had no symptoms of impending illness. (Lucky b*stards).
#24 of 98 Old 12-16-2006, 02:04 AM

My daughter got it last year. She was 2 1/2. I got it at the same time.
She: not vaxed. Me: Vaxed as a kid.

It was a very annoying cough for both of us. She "whooped" just once. We took sodium ascorbate. I don't know how long it lasted, but it was several weeks. I felt like my rib was broken from the coughing.

We never went to the doctor for a diagnosis, but I really believe it was pertussis.
#25 of 98 Old 12-16-2006, 04:06 AM

This was actually one of the first vaxes to get knocked off the list, when I was trying to decide, as I'd had so many shots, and still got it as an adult. It made me go hmmmm.

Please share with us the:

age/s of those who were affected:

Me, at age 21. Ds, at 17 months

whether or not they'd been vaxed:

Me, 4 vaxes of DTP. Ds, no vaxes.

the severity of the disease, how you treated it:

I was bad, but not horrible. A person from my work had it, first. 1/3 of us in the office came down with "The Never Ending Cough", as Long Island so aptly named it. I was diagnosed with atypical bronchitis. A couple people got bronchitis diagnosis' and one person got diagnosed as plurisey. No one got an official diagnosis of whooping cough.

The doctor mentioned that I could have antibiotics if I wanted, but I kind of waved him off. It's funny to think of it, now.

I remember hacking and hacking and throwing up white gunk, a couple of times. Mostly at night.

My dad mixed brandy, honey and some kind of juice for me, every night for a week, and that helped me sleep. I also did some drinking of alcoholic beverages on my own, although that sent me into major coughing fits. Like a pp said, my ribs just ached from coughing. It was bad at night. I'd cough and cough till something came up. I was running competively still, at that point, and I remember after coughing, I'd feel like I'd just run about ten miles, and had no breath. It was aggravating.

I coughed bad for about a three and a half weeks. The next two months were less, still coughing, but not as bad. It just seemed like the cough dragged on. It got warm that March, early, and I remember being outside, baking in as much sun as I could, that seemed to help too. The summer months of June, July and August of that year seemed to knock it out of me completely, which was good.

At the time, I took 3000mg of C in asorbic acid form, just because I had always taken at least 1000mg of it, from childhood. My mom's answer to any question was always 'take more C'. I didn't have SA, or know about it, but I was taking some form of vitamin C.

I wasn't sick, still functioned, but I remember imagining I had tuberculosis or something like that. I'm a little bit of a hypochondriac. :

Ds was only bad at night. I didn't know about SA yet, with him, either. But I was giving him liquid baby C, and that would help him. He'd cough and cough and cough till he threw up. He was up a lot of nights, that first month, and I was exhausted.

My cousin's son got it first. He whooped, when he coughed, and by this time, we were around more alternative doctors. Her grandma told her it was pertussis, and the oldest doctor in the practice verified it. Ds had been exposed, so we just had to wait.

I was six+ months pregnant, in August, when ds got it. It was like 3 weeks after his cousin had it. Ds coughed, literally, 90 days. From August, until right before I had dd, in late October. But like me, the first 3-4 weeks were the worst, and then it was just the nagging cough for the next 8 weeks.

He did much better than I did with it. He never whooped, but the cough is just really unmistakeable. There are bad coughs, and then there's wc. It's just it's own animal.

If he got a cough, in that next year, when he would first start to cough, he'd have that initial sound. I learned from these boards that the reason for this is the cillia in the throat has to grow back. So until it does, to expect a bizarre cough.

what effects the treatment/s had:

vitamin C and brandy seemed to work well for me. At least they helped break up the stuff so I could hack it up.

Liquid baby C helped ds. I do wish I had known about SA, though. I'm sure it would have helped even more.

And I wish I hadn't been so pregnant, and not able to sleep. The tiredness was just unbelievable. I remember laying next to ds, listening to him cough, thinking, this is crazy.

So tell your kids to not get it while you're almost 7 months pregnant, and it will all be fine.
#26 of 98 Old 12-16-2006, 04:24 AM

What's SA? :

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#27 of 98 Old 12-16-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
What's SA? :
Sodium ascorbate, a white, crystalline powder form of vitamin C.
#28 of 98 Old 12-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Banned

Great thread!
#29 of 98 Old 12-16-2006, 01:34 PM

Haven't read yet, but wanted to post a reply.

There was a vaxed girl at the school I worked at who got pertussis. She was 14 yo. Bad cough off and on for about 5/6 months. Treated with abx. Noone else got it. Dr did not feel like she was a threat to the rest of the kids (this is a boarding school) so she continued her normal activities. She felt fine most of the time except when she would have a coughing fit. She thew up some, but never much. Complained of ribs hurting sometimes. I was pg at the time, and even though I was also around her I never got it either. I will add that the girl was never the picture of health-- enjoyed lots of junk food and fried foods, hardly ate any veggies or unprocessed foods. I can't help but think that her diet contributed to her taking so long to fight off the disease. ??
#30 of 98 Old 12-16-2006, 01:41 PM

Now that I am reading this thread I realize that my roomate had this too. It was back in 89' and I didn't catch it. I was fully vaxed as a child. Tina~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page