Tetanus - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 05-17-2007, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've decided not to vax our children because in most cases the risks of the vaccines outway the risks of the diseases in our minds. Now though I have been going back and forth with the tetanus vax. This summer we are going to be staying at a friend's home. They have some animals, currently live in a trailer and are building a house. My friend informed me that there will be nails lying around on the ground. How worried about this should I be?

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-17-2007, 10:47 PM

Nails are not carriers of tetanus. There are so many threads here about it...recent ones...just search for them. The bottomline is that if any cut bleeds...tetanus cannot live where oxygen resides...blood=oxygen=kills tetanus. I would still think your chances at tetanus are low. That being said there is a vaccine they can administer at the time (not the tetanus shot) of the cut if it is worrisome.

Tetanus is extremely rare...and more rare in children. With adequate blood supply and cleaning of the wound there should be little chance.

Search this forum though...there are TONS of these posts. Literally tons!

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#3 of 5 Old 05-18-2007, 12:52 AM

Tetanus has never been a concern for children.

-Angela

#4 of 5 Old 05-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidoki View Post
Nails are not carriers of tetanus. There are so many threads here about it...recent ones...just search for them. The bottomline is that if any cut bleeds...tetanus cannot live where oxygen resides...blood=oxygen=kills tetanus. I would still think your chances at tetanus are low. That being said there is a vaccine they can administer at the time (not the tetanus shot) of the cut if it is worrisome.

Tetanus is extremely rare...and more rare in children. With adequate blood supply and cleaning of the wound there should be little chance.

Search this forum though...there are TONS of these posts. Literally tons!
I have seen these posts and there is so much misinformation regarding tetanus. Oxygen does not kill tetanus; the presence of oxygen merely won't allow tetanus spores to germinate and produce toxin. If a wound becomes contaminated with tetanus spores and bleeds, this will reduce the chances of germination but is in no way a guarantee as the spores can remain adhered and when an anaerobic (low oxygen) environment is established, the spores can then germinate into the vegetative state and produce toxin. Additionally, the tetanus 'shot' is the vaccine and tetanus immunoglobulin is a post-exposure prophylaxis. Proper wound treatment and subsequent care are also measures many lay people do not know how to administer and can also greatly reduce the chances of a tetanus infection.

SM
#5 of 5 Old 05-18-2007, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Science Mom View Post
I have seen these posts and there is so much misinformation regarding tetanus. Oxygen does not kill tetanus; the presence of oxygen merely won't allow tetanus spores to germinate and produce toxin. If a wound becomes contaminated with tetanus spores and bleeds, this will reduce the chances of germination but is in no way a guarantee as the spores can remain adhered and when an anaerobic (low oxygen) environment is established, the spores can then germinate into the vegetative state and produce toxin. Additionally, the tetanus 'shot' is the vaccine and tetanus immunoglobulin is a post-exposure prophylaxis. Proper wound treatment and subsequent care are also measures many lay people do not know how to administer and can also greatly reduce the chances of a tetanus infection.

SM
What I find rather sadly horrific is the fact that doctors in the emergency room recommend the tetanus shot after an injury. If there was truly a danger of tetanus they would recommend the immunoglobulin, so the post injury tetanus is really just opportunistic vaxing.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page