Accepting my self - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 01-15-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really want to accept myself. Right now I live in a small town and there are not a lot of people who share similar interest with me. Yesterday, I went to a mom's group for the first time. Most of the women had their blond highlights, cute outfits, perfect pedicures, etc. When I sat there among them, I felt ashamed. I thought to myself maybe I should dye my hair, my clothes are old, I felt less than. When I got home I snapped out of it and remembered I don't where makeup, dress "trendy" or even comb my hair for that matter and that is who I am and that's ok. How do I have confidence in myself when I am around people who are not like me. I want to go to mom's groups and do stuff like that, but I don't want to feel ashamed of who I am.

BTW I don't think there is anything wrong with women who like to dress up and look pretty. For me though it just feels silly to wear makeup and dresses etc...

Eating is an agricultural act.  -Wendell Berry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-15-2008, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's only natural to feel out of place when you are surrounded by people who make different choices than you do. It's especially hard when your choices are outside of the mainstream.

It sounds like you have a good start- you feel comfortable and good about yourself when you're at home. I think that if you regularly feel self-conscious about yourself when you're out in public, it's a good idea to mentally prepare yourself before you leave home. Just tell yourself something along the lines of I know people make different choices than I do, and that's okay. I'm comfortable with my life and my choices. I am proud of myself.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page