Vaccine Registry - Mothering Forums

#1 of 37 Old 04-07-2005, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because so many seem interested in information about Vaccine Registries, I figured I would start a thread where we can post that information. Here is the site from Florida. It even has the forms that you can send in to opt-out. I think that this registry is voluntary and that you aren't in it unless your provider puts you in it. I am going to call the two docs that my ds has seen to see if they participate in the registry. If they do, I will send in the opt-out form. If they don't then I going to assume that registry does not even know we exist and won't bring their attention to it. How does that sound to those who are familiar with my state's registry?

http://www.flshots.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 04-07-2005, 11:35 AM

http://www.immregistries.org/about/index.phtml

-tina
#3 of 37 Old 04-07-2005, 12:14 PM

Here's Virginia's: http://www.vdh.state.va.us/imm/imm_reg.asp

"What are Immunization Registries?
One of the focus areas of this act was the development of an Immunization Information System or a Registry. Click here to learn more about these systems. Each state is required to implement a statewideregistry that is guided by the registry standards developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Click here to view the CDC minimal functional standards for immunization registries."

I didn't realize that "each state is REQUIRED" to implement the registry. On the website it says that this is because of the "childhood immunization act of 1993".

If that's the case, then why haven't ALL the states gotten a registry? If we're all in such dire trouble because of vaccine-preventable diseases, then why is it taking them so long? So far, I'm counting 12 years....

#4 of 37 Old 04-07-2005, 12:31 PM

Here is some info about Indiana:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar38/ch5.html

Basically I learned that CHIRP is the registry and that, if your child's doctor is a member, you are automatically enrolled. You can choose to be taken off by filling out an exemption form available at the doctor's office or printing this and giving it to the doctor:

https://chirp.isdh.state.in.us/docs/...ta_Removal.pdf

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#5 of 37 Old 04-07-2005, 02:10 PM

Here is a link for tracking systems by region:

http://www.he.net/~dvk/imms/tracking.htm

This was up to date as of 10/14/04
#6 of 37 Old 04-07-2005, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Good news. Apparently, the registry in Florida isn't well known. One of the docs we have seen had no idea what it was, the other said they do not enter patients. However, they do access those client's that have used the health department for shots. So I think Ds is safe and not a part of it. Yeah, I won't send in the opt-out form, that way they'll never know Ds exists. I wonder if other states are like this also.
#7 of 37 Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM

#8 of 37 Old 04-07-2005, 06:00 PM

So, I guess Delaware doesn't exist....it's not listed.

Maybe that's a good thing??

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 of 37 Old 04-07-2005, 06:53 PM

This is for MA--I love it when they don't tell you anything and still think it's o.k. to track you whether you vax or not. I know I didn't receive any forms to opt out or in to the program. I'm sure all of my kids are listed in the database : In their defense, I'm not sure that this has gone into law yet as there wasn't a date listed on the website, but my guess is that if it hasn't already, it will soon.

http://www.vaccinechoice.org/rights.htm

STATE TRACKING SYSTEM ASSAILS PRIVACY
The Department of Public Health(DPH) is in the process of establishing the Massachusetts Immunization Information System (MIIS), a state-wide database designed to track the vaccination status of all children in Massachusetts from birth. The DPH is proposing a regulatory change that
would mandate that all vaccines administered to a child be reported to this tracking system. While use of such a system might be more convenient and time efficient for providers, MCVC believes that some elements warrant significant review.

Privacy is a primary concern. While the DPH has established a consent form for use in conjunction with the MIIS, they nevertheless plan to track both those who offer--and those who withhold--their consent. This ‘consent form’ allows parents to ‘decline consent’ to not have information shared with others, including school systems, health providers, etc.

However, the DPH will keep a list of people who have declined their consent. The child’s name, birth date, place of birth, sex, provider’s medical record number, mother’s maiden and married names, and mother’s date of birth, along with the fact that the parent refused consent will be logged into this DPH system.

If ‘consent status is unknown’ the Department assumes that you’ve consented and will keep your child’s vaccination information on file in addition to the personal identifying information listed above. According to DPH officials, the information belonging to those who withhold their consent will not be shared with any person or agency other than the DPH. For some, even this "limited" exposure would amount to an unacceptable infringement of privacy. And what if your doctor doesn’t present you with the consent form? There is no penalty/consequence to hold doctors accountable within the context of the regulation as written.

The state claims that this registry can "improve safety" of immunizations, yet the DPH has consciously decided NOT to track adverse reactions or medical contraindications to vaccines.

The state hopes to tag and track children who are not vaccinated in order to be able to ‘remind’ parents to get their children vaccinated "on schedule" - even though this schedule is only a compilation of "recommendations", not requirements. A "reminder/recall" component is built into the system. However, parents claiming medical or religious exemptions will be unnecessarily
"reminded" because the state will not be keeping record of these legally supported exemptions.
#10 of 37 Old 04-07-2005, 06:54 PM

Does anybody STILL think I'm being paranoid??????
#11 of 37 Old 04-07-2005, 07:17 PM

Yes you are just being paronoid!! :LOL

I notice California;s are listed by county. There are only about five our six listed and all but one is in Southern California. So I assume since we lived in Northerna Cali, no where near Santa Clara County it is safe to assume we are not in some kind of tracking system?

I can't really tell if Oregon has one but since my children were born in California I would assume they are not in it if they do.
#12 of 37 Old 04-07-2005, 07:28 PM

I'm in VA. I carefully read the HIPPA notice before signing today and I didn't like what it said. By signing the HIPPA you are allowing them to share information with local health authorities about your child. I think this would also allow the use of a registry.

I never give out my childrens SSN so, it would be hard to truly link them in a system. Names, addressses and DOBs aren't proof enough of identity in my opinion.

At least VA states that it is voluntary. I certainly don't want my family in a system like that.
#13 of 37 Old 04-08-2005, 12:44 PM

FYI FOR NASSAU COUNTY, NEW YORK RESIDENTS:

I just got an email back from the NYS DOH Immunization Program
NYSIIS Project Manger and he stated that my first son (born in 1997) is not and never has been on the state registry . . . that no one in Nassau County is on the list. No medical providers in the county participate.
#14 of 37 Old 04-08-2005, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If I understand that right, this is a list of folks who do not want to vaccinate and want to be put on the list to opt out of being on a list???

Clear as MUD.

Actually, I think I missed the point.

What does the list do? Other than collect names of anti-vax folks?
#15 of 37 Old 04-12-2005, 11:02 AM

We have to take Alex to the dentist today (he has 'soft' teeth and needs fillings. ) and his dentists' office is right next to the pedi. I'm going to drop off the forms requesting that they be removed from the CHIRP system. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#16 of 37 Old 06-03-2005, 04:38 AM

Wow, I'm glad to know these exist. I don't want any part of them! I hope we're not automatically listed because we go to a ped once a year. We don't vax and the ped is fine with that.

Mama to two amazing homeschooling boys born in 1999 and 2002
#17 of 37 Old 06-03-2005, 10:04 AM

#18 of 37 Old 06-03-2005, 10:57 AM

I'm really hoping I didn't sign a HIPAA form at the ped... But I was so sick at the time, I can't remember anything.

Can you take them back if you did sign? Like, withdraw your consent?

Anyone know what docs do if you won't sign a HIPAA? Do they refuse treatment?
#19 of 37 Old 06-03-2005, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindycat72
I called them trying to get info to opt out but nobody ever returned my calls.
#20 of 37 Old 06-03-2005, 11:21 AM

They probably can choose to deny service if you don't sign. State & local disclosure laws will still apply whether you sign the HIPAA consent or not. This is an interesting little article about signing the consent forms:
http://www.aafp.org/fpm/20030200/29theh.html
#21 of 37 Old 06-03-2005, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Anyone know how to opt outt of the registry for Washington state? I was searching the child profile pages but couldn't find anything.
#22 of 37 Old 06-21-2007, 09:13 PM

does anyone know if louisiana has one of these?
#23 of 37 Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thought I should bump this as it's relevant to the other thread about the forced immunization law NY assembly is trying to pass.
NY now has a registry too--not optional, from what I can gather:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/preven...stem/index.htm
#24 of 37 Old 05-29-2008, 03:15 PM

To opt out, you need to call Mr. Quan Le at (504) 838-5300. He works for the Department of Health and Hospitals' Office of Public Health and is in charge of maintaining the database.

I haven't actually gone through the process yet. I am procrastinating because I expect it to be problematic. When I emailed him asking for the procedure to get removed/opt out he replied back saying I needed to call him and he would walk me through the process. But he also copied his response to me to several powers that be at DHH, including the head of the immunization program. So, needless to say, I'm expecting that they will be full of questions.

When I do actually call him, I'll post my experience.
#25 of 37 Old 05-29-2008, 03:32 PM

mama1803, please do post your experience. We are new to LA, and I had no idea about this. I have not yet taken my kiddos to the dr, so I know they are not a part of it yet. I wonder if we would not be ever since we do not vax? Why do they have to make this so hard!?!

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#26 of 37 Old 05-29-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc1995 View Post
mama1803, please do post your experience. We are new to LA, and I had no idea about this. I have not yet taken my kiddos to the dr, so I know they are not a part of it yet. I wonder if we would not be ever since we do not vax? Why do they have to make this so hard!?!
I really don't know why this has to be so hard. Both of my kids are partially vaxed, so I am assuming that they are on the registry. But I have not confirmed this. I certainly wasn't told anything about a registry by my ped. I feel it is a huge invasion of privacy. Isn't it enough that the ped has records? We have decided to stop vaxing and I really feel like it is imperative to get my LOs off the registry, if they are indeed on there.

I don't know why I am so paranoid to give Mr. Le a call. Dh and I are completely comfortable with our decison to stop vaxing, but I really have this feeling that I am going to have a hard time with DHH. I don't feel like I should have to justify our decision to anyone, kwim? The fact that half of the health department has now seen my email about wanting out tells me they take this stuff really seriously, so I have no doubt they'll be full of questions.

Anyway, I'm going to make the call soon and just be done with it. I promise to post my experience.
#27 of 37 Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmom View Post
Thought I should bump this as it's relevant to the other thread about the forced immunization law NY assembly is trying to pass.
NY now has a registry too--not optional, from what I can gather:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/preven...stem/index.htm
NYS has had a registry for a few years now, but up until January 2008 we were able to opt out. Now everyone is enrolled at birth and the type of exemption for non-vaxers is recorded.
#28 of 37 Old 05-31-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Yes you are just being paronoid!! :LOL

I can't really tell if Oregon has one but since my children were born in California I would assume they are not in it if they do.
Oregon seems to have one, we received a reminder postcard from DHS this week.

It's disturbing.

Previously we received a reminder letter from our health insurance company reminding us that they cover the cost of vax's but I had no idea the State was also keeping track.
#29 of 37 Old 05-31-2008, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
For Idaho, parents must actively choose to opt in, not opt out. My doc pushes it at every visit.

(New Yorkers take note: ID is one of those lucky states that allow religious AND philosophical exemptions. Ready to move out West? )

First, they sell the idea to parents as a convenient reminder system:
http://www.healthandwelfare.idaho.go...ersion=Staging

But ultimately, it's for the convenience of providers:
https://iris.idaho.gov/irisweb/main.jsp

If you click on "What is IRIS?," you get:
"This web application allows enrolled users to conveniently search for patients in the Idaho State Immunization Central Registry and to view the patients' vaccination record and forecasting schedule . . ."

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#teamvaxchoice

RIP old MDC. We miss you!
#30 of 37 Old 05-31-2008, 02:41 AM

frightening. makes me furious. south carolina has one. my dd had 3 shots, my ds, none. duly noted on the registry im sure. so SNEAKY of them to use the HIPAA form to do this too. seems like it'd be illegal to do this. im scared to "stir up the waters" and opt out of it now, too.
anyone who knows anything about SC feel free to share!

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page