Anti-immigration, Anti-privacy law to become law without congressional review - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 05-13-2005, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Real ID Act, which sets the stage for a national ID card system, will probably be enacted without any hearings or debate because Congress attached the controversial measure to the appropriations bill that includes funding for military operations.

The legislation also rolls back asylum laws and attacks immigrants. "The Real ID Act was sold as an illegal-immigration fix bill, when in fact it reduces every American's freedom," said Timothy Sparapani, an ACLU Legislative Counsel. "The provisions of this bill could not have passed on their own. Sadly, their inclusion in a 'must pass' bill means that immigrants and citizens alike will face an unnecessary loss of freedom and privacy."

"The federalization of drivers' licenses, and the culling of all information into massive databases, creates a system ripe for identity theft," Sparapani said. "New standards could place our most private information - including photographs, address and social security numbers - into the hands of identity thieves."

The House passed the underlying measure last week; the Senate is expected to vote this week.

By passing this bill -- the REAL ID Act -- Congress created a national ID system and failed to protect your privacy.

Please write your Members of Congress today to express your disappointment in their failure to prevent passage of this legislation. Urge them to oppose future legislation that would infringe on your privacy and to block appropriations for implementing the REAL ID Act.

From the ACLU (Note to Mods, they have a blanket reprint permission so it is ok even though over 100 words)

For more info on how to protest this, go to www.aclu.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-18-2005, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Please tell me some of y'all are civil liberties activists? Anyone? Beuller?
#3 of 3 Old 05-18-2005, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTT
Please tell me some of y'all are civil liberties activists? Anyone? Beuller?
Oh, come on...you just KNOW that if the governmint is handling it, our information is perfectly safe and will never be compromised!

:LOL

Yeah, okay, I hear this. I'll go read more

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page