Favourite/Least Favourite Book to Movie? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your favourite book to movie adaptations?

What are your least favourite?

I loved "The World According to Garp" as a movie and book. I also really enjoyed the Lord of the Rings ( I actually think the movies are better!!) and Harry Potter (I still like the books better though) adaptations.

I still haven't seen Mystic River or Cold Mountain yet.... I bet they were good!

I hated hated hated Bram Stoker's Dracula and A Prayer for Owen Meany. The movies were so freaking awful.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 07:44 AM

Favorite book to movie? The Thorn Birds without a doubt.
#3 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 09:05 AM
Banned

Lord of the Rings, the obvious choice.

db

#4 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 09:09 AM

Worst - Timeline
Best - The Harry Potter movies of course

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#5 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Best - Mystic river
Worst - Midnight in the garden of good and evil - so many good actors yet so awful!

Larissa, mom to all my girls (07/10), (05/02), (09/98) and another due 02/15!
#6 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 01:19 PM

Best-Cold Mountain would be the "best" that I've seen...though I really don't like movies made from books.

Worst-Flowers in the Attic!
#7 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 01:29 PM

Best--Maybe Chocolat, but not b/c they stayed with the book. They totally changed it, yet I still love the movie. That's rare for me.

Worst--Anything Stephen King. They butcher his stuff!
#8 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I'm drawing a blank here, but I know I have some. Oh, one just came to mind--The Stepford Wives. There wasn't much more to the book than the movie, and I thought the movie was more effective.

I loved the movie The Prince of Tides but everyone who read the book was very disappointed with the film version.

Seeing the first LOTR movie was what inspired me to read the books, and I have to say I like the books better, but I did love the visuals with the movie. Although I found the last movie dragged and wasn't as interesting to me.

My husband really likes the job the film makers did with Harry Potter, but I've never read the books.

I didn't mind Bram Stoker's Dracula, but it was definitely a different take than the book.

I also like Sense and Sensibility

I've heard that some Stephen King books have made good movies, and also Silence of the Lambs.
#9 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 01:49 PM

The A & E version of Pride and Prejudice is wonderful.

The worst was the adaptation of Emma staring Gwyneth Paltrow.
#10 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 01:55 PM

I loved Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson & Kate Winslet! I thought Alan Rickman was so wonderful as the Colonel.

I also loved Pride & Prejudice (the A&E version from 1995 and also the one from the 40's with Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson).

I liked the Daphne Du Maurier novels that were made into the movies in the 40's or 50's (Rebecca with Laurence Olivier & Joan Fontaine; My Cousin Rachel with Olivia de Havilland & Richard Burton).

I also liked the Russell Banks novels that were made into movies recently (Affliction and The Sweet Hereafter).

I know there are plenty I don't like but I can't think of them right now...
#11 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 04:56 PM

I like the Harry Potter movies, but I don't think they're good adaptations, necessarily.
#12 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 11:53 PM

Best - Toss up between LOTR (They did an AWESOME job sticking with the books) and Harry Potter.

Worst - Of all time, hands down, I HATE HATE HATE the way they did Clan Of The Cave Bear. THey mixed up EVERYTHING and put it out of order. The only thing it had going for it was Darryl Hannah as Ayla.
#13 of 46 Old 06-03-2004, 12:19 AM

Oh, Clan of the Cave Bear was the worst one that popped into my head too! Terrible!

Best, definitely LOTR
#14 of 46 Old 06-03-2004, 09:40 PM

I agree that Austen adpatations seem to work really well. I also liked "The Hours" - but a friend of mine didn't because the mother's character was so truncated.

Worst: "The English Patient" - they completely diminished and infantilized the Indian fellow's charcter in order to expand the dashing European male heartthrobby guy - in the book, they both share the storyline and in fact the book ends in the Indian character's POV with the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki -and with a fairly strong anti-war message. ALL of that and more is lost in the movie so that they could bring you a typical Hollywood romance between typical Hollywood characters with the dramatic backdrop of the war. Ugh.
#15 of 46 Old 06-03-2004, 10:31 PM

Best; The Outsiders

Worst; Any John Grisham, they even changed the plot of the last one !
#16 of 46 Old 06-03-2004, 11:01 PM

Best: The End of the Affair by Graham Greene was pretty excellently remade. LotR is another obvious candidate.
#17 of 46 Old 06-04-2004, 12:41 PM

worst, worst, worst: Smilla's Sense of Snow. Totally screwed up the story and the emotions. Terrible casting. And it was such a character-driven story.

don't have a best. Can't remember liking any book-to-movie where I had read the book first.
#18 of 46 Old 06-04-2004, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Best: LOTR

Worst: The Mists of Avalon a complete butcher job that changed core storylines. Gods it SUCKED!
#19 of 46 Old 06-04-2004, 01:59 PM

Best: "Persuasion" - has anyone seen this? I think I was A&E or maybe BBC? AWESOME. I have liked a lot of the Jane Austen ones too. Also the Merchant/Ivory ones - "Room With A View" was a fave of mine for a long time. I love the line: "Observe my foresight."

I also love Akira Kurosawa's "Ran" which is "King Lear" adapted. That's not really a book tho ...

Worst: I have hated the "Little House on the Prairie" series since its inception. I'm sure Laura Ingalls Wilder is STILL spinning in her grave, poor woman. Michael Landon could not have been LESS like Pa. But that's not really a movie.

SO GLAD someone else hated the English Patient! I hated that movie and got SOOO sick of the hype. I LOVED that Elaine on Seinfeld hated it. I am one of few women alive who doesn't like Ralph Fiennes. Icky.
#20 of 46 Old 06-04-2004, 10:17 PM

I usually strongly dislike adaptations of books I've enjoyed. The exception is Bridges of Madison County - I thought the movie was better than the book.

Another exception is Anne of Green Gables (surprising since it's my favourite book of all time!). The TV movies done in the 80s were great - well, the first one was - the second made me cranky cause they changed so much and i didn't see the third because I heard it was butchered too.
#21 of 46 Old 06-05-2004, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
worst-
mists of avalon,
clan of the cave bear
two of my favorite books- BUTCHERED as movies!!!

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#22 of 46 Old 06-05-2004, 05:48 PM

Best - The Princess Bride

Worst - Rebecca done by Alfred Hitchcock (I'll have to check out the earlier version because I loved the book) and Running Man (it was NOTHING like the book!)

I thought the first 2 LOTR movies were done really well but found The Return of the King really dragging in last half.
#23 of 46 Old 06-06-2004, 02:35 PM

Worst--The Firm by John Grisham. I was out of my seat (with rage) at the end. Good Lord.

Best--Princess Bride was good, but they left out the different levels as Inigo and Fezzik had to find the Man in Black. That was one of my favorite parts in the book. Harry Potter has been pretty well done.

James and the Giant Peach was good.
#24 of 46 Old 06-07-2004, 11:31 PM

Best- hands down - "Gone With the Wind." I love both the book and the movie equally
also, I recently saw The Hours and I thought they did a really good job turning that into a movie. The book was very complicated and they made it work really well

Worst - "Seabiscuit" - the book was great, one of the best I've ever read. The movie overdramatized everything so it all seemed really corny and exaggerated. The shame is if you just let the story stand on its own (like the book did) it is fantastic. You couldn't make up a better story. The movie also portrayed the characters to be one dimensional and didn't even cover some of the best parts of the story.

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#25 of 46 Old 06-08-2004, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka Falls
Worst--Anything Stephen King. They butcher his stuff!
ROFL, I didn't catch this the first time around and I was saying the opposite. Some people like the way they do his stuff, I guess. Green Mile, Stand By Me, Shashank Redemption. I personallythink they lost a little bit of the weirdness that made them Stephen King, but the movies were fine. I'm not sure about The Shining. I never read the book, but the movie seemed pretty effective.
#26 of 46 Old 06-08-2004, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendentalMom
Worst - "Seabiscuit" - the book was great, one of the best I've ever read. The movie overdramatized everything so it all seemed really corny and exaggerated.
OK, so if I saw the movie and didn't care for it much, it will still be worth my time to read the book? Cool.
#27 of 46 Old 06-08-2004, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid
I thought the first 2 LOTR movies were done really well but found The Return of the King really dragging in last half.

Hey, me too!
#28 of 46 Old 06-08-2004, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetzie
The A & E version of Pride and Prejudice is wonderful.
I saw that one and liked it, as well as the Masterpiece Theater version I saw years before.
#29 of 46 Old 06-08-2004, 11:53 AM

I thought of a book that was made into a really good movie (even though it wasn't the "same"): Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was made into Blade Runner -- which was fantastic, especially once Ridley Scott got to release the Director's Cut without that saccharine ending.
#30 of 46 Old 06-14-2004, 08:52 PM

I didn't like the movie versions of Lord of the Rings....they had little of the original's spirituality....too much action and violence if you ask me. I think Peter Jackson had his hands tied by the big money executives to some extent. Violence sells.

One of the best book to film adapts I've ever seen would be Stephen Sonderbergs' "Solaris"(with George Clooney), based on the sci-fi classic by Stanislaw Lem. Very deep and beautifully made though probably not everyone's cup of tea.

I loved "The Count of Monte Cristo" with Jim Caravizel. Such an entertaining, swashbuckling film, which yet had a deep message, and great acting. Quite spiritual really, and much better than the long-winded book which I tried reading afterwards. Anyone else here like it too?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page