"Brother Bear." My kids love it. I love it. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 05-26-2005, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Remembering ages ago there was a thread about it, too lazy to dig it up ...

My kids are watching this as I type (and no, I *didn't* put it on just to come to MDC :LOL) and it's such a good movie, the music is sweet, and the messages are totally and endlessly discussable.

Just a plug for a movie we like.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 05-26-2005, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I like the movie, too.

So, for example, what messages come to mind?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#3 of 17 Old 05-26-2005, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We enjoyed the movie as well

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    

#4 of 17 Old 05-26-2005, 11:31 PM

We really love this book as well. My boys call each other brother so they really enjoy this movie because it is all about brotherly love.:

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#5 of 17 Old 05-27-2005, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Messages that are discussable? Oy. Could go on for hours. As a matter of fact, we have.

Here are just some discussions that have followed this movie ... or interrupted the viewing such that we stopped the movie to have the discussion ...

Responsibility (the whole mess starts when the youngest brother doesn't fulfill his obligation about tying up a basket out of the reach of bears)

Living by ideals (totems in the movie)

Living by ideals even when they're ridiculed

Dealing with anger

Dealing with others' anger

Appropriate responses to disappointment

Specie-ist attitudes, which leads to discussion of bigotry (Keeni's anti-bear assumptions)

Not to mention discussions of various belief systems, various native peoples, and the earth's climate in prehistoric times.

And that's all just from the first five minutes of the movie ... *before* he turns into a bear.

We like this movie.
#6 of 17 Old 05-27-2005, 01:50 AM

I wasn't crazy about it at first but do like it for the same reasons now.
#7 of 17 Old 05-27-2005, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk
And that's all just from the first five minutes of the movie ... *before* he turns into a bear.

We like this movie.
Yep... the reasons you listed are great

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#8 of 17 Old 05-29-2005, 09:54 PM

Sorry but I have to disagree here . Of course our ds liked it but he just wanted to go around killing pretend bears afterward! And I HATED the part where the moose or some animal hears its echo and the whole "Shut Up!" episode takes place back and forth! That is not allowed in our house and kids pick stuff up so easily. I was cringing in my seat.

I feel there are better movies out there, maybe not as popular (or Disney) that easily convey impt. messages.
THe religious overtones were a bit strong for me too.
But I dont believe it was horrible or anything, just not for my family!
#9 of 17 Old 05-31-2005, 08:22 AM

The kids I watched owned this dvd and they wanted me to watch it with them. I was surprised at how much I loved it! I rented it a couple of days later so dh could watch it and he was also surprised at what a sweet (and pagan friendly) movie it was.

flowersforyou.gif

#10 of 17 Old 05-31-2005, 01:49 PM

I have issues with Disney movies as well but that has got to be the best animated movie i have ever seen. It teaches kids empathy and reverence for all creation and that we all have a place in the Universe.
#11 of 17 Old 05-31-2005, 06:21 PM

We watched this in the theater and thought it was OK and decided to buy it when it came out (we buy almost every kid movie). When we watched it at home happened to coincide with a time that my daughter (six years old) was really into the concept of bravery and "taking one for the team." As such she was very moved by it and wanted to talk about it, so that was cool. (FYI--the bravery thing came from reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH--specifically the character Justin).

Anyway, I thought it was not as entertaining as a lot of Disney movies (good songs make for entertaining movies--what can I say) but still worth reading and probably "meatier" than several movies.
#12 of 17 Old 05-31-2005, 06:42 PM

I think I'm the only one who hated that movie. I found it very formulamatic - even more so than most Disney pictures.
#13 of 17 Old 06-02-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guava~Lush
Sorry but I have to disagree here . Of course our ds liked it but he just wanted to go around killing pretend bears afterward! And I HATED the part where the moose or some animal hears its echo and the whole "Shut Up!" episode takes place back and forth! That is not allowed in our house and kids pick stuff up so easily. I was cringing in my seat.

I feel there are better movies out there, maybe not as popular (or Disney) that easily convey impt. messages.
THe religious overtones were a bit strong for me too.
But I dont believe it was horrible or anything, just not for my family!
Religious as in pagan or Christian?
#14 of 17 Old 06-02-2005, 07:54 PM

i liked the moose. (meese? mooses? moosiii?)
#15 of 17 Old 06-02-2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six
I think I'm the only one who hated that movie. I found it very formulamatic - even more so than most Disney pictures.
No you aren't. My best friend recommended it. Amy recommended it. So many people recommended it. Normally I would watch it before I let the kids watch it, but I was in sort of a desperate situation. I hated that movie from beginning to end. I kept having to remind my son (3.5 and well behaved and used to being treated with and treating others with respect) that the way the brother's acted is NOT how we treat one another ( they seemed a tad too old for the way they were fighting) and I hated the whole shut up thing with the moose too. I also felt that some of the Native culture parts were really cheapened and well... DISNEY, though the drawings were beautiful. I liked the lesson and the general idea, but other than that thumbs down.
#16 of 17 Old 06-02-2005, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious
i liked the moose. (meese? mooses? moosiii?)
It's moose.
#17 of 17 Old 06-04-2005, 01:03 AM

And I HATED the part where the moose or some animal hears its echo and the whole "Shut Up!" episode takes place back and forth! That is not allowed in our house and kids pick stuff up so easily. I was cringing in my seat.End Quote

I totaly agree I cringe, too. I never said that word in our house growing up or now that I have children, but it didn't take long before my 3yr dd started saying it.

But I like the songs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page