Please suggest a good book/author... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 22 Old 10-25-2005, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like fiction, but not romance, sci fi, mystery, thriller, etc. I like books that are about humanity, I guess. The last books I read were The Color Purple and Possessing the Secret of Joy, by Alice Walker. I always feel overwhelmed at the library, and DS has little patience for the adult section. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 10-25-2005, 08:05 PM

where to begin.....

Anything by Barbara Kingsolver (I love her books).

I've read all of Jennifer Weiner books. Very light hearted and commical.

Elizabeth Flock (Me and Emma shocking!, and right now I am reading "But inside I am screaming", very good so far).

James Frey "A Million Little Pieces".

I don't like mushy romance books but got into "The shop on Blossom Street" and "A Good Yarn" because I knit and I enjoyed reading about women who sit around and knit...those are by Debbie MacComber (I haven't read her other books though, seem to harlequin romance too me).

I could go on and on because I LOVE BOOKS, but these are off the top of my head right now.

The Bronte sisters (anything by them).
#3 of 22 Old 10-25-2005, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I'll write these down for my next library visit.

#4 of 22 Old 10-26-2005, 12:45 AM

Meg Wolitzer is great-The Wife. So is Jane Smiley -- A Thousand Acres is a marvelous book, forget about the movie. Grace Paley is marvelous too --short stories, one of which begins, "There were two husbands disappointed by eggs." One of the husbands is referred to as Livid (the ex husband) and the other as Pallid (current). The short story "The Loudest Voice" is about jewish children having to take part in a nativity play in a public school in New York in the 1950s. The father of the litle girl who is playing Mary is asked, "So. How's the virgin?"

And a few months ago out of the blue I reread Lady Chatterleys Lover and was amazed at the hypnotic power of the language.
#5 of 22 Old 10-26-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanagirl
Meg Wolitzer is great-The Wife. So is Jane Smiley -- A Thousand Acres is a marvelous book, forget about the movie. Grace Paley is marvelous too --short stories, one of which begins, "There were two husbands disappointed by eggs." One of the husbands is referred to as Livid (the ex husband) and the other as Pallid (current). The short story "The Loudest Voice" is about jewish children having to take part in a nativity play in a public school in New York in the 1950s. The father of the litle girl who is playing Mary is asked, "So. How's the virgin?"

And a few months ago out of the blue I reread Lady Chatterleys Lover and was amazed at the hypnotic power of the language.

Wow! Thanks, I'll have to check these out!

Keep um coming, this is a GREAT thread!
#6 of 22 Old 10-26-2005, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensMa
I always feel overwhelmed at the library, and DS has little patience for the adult section. Suggestions?
Does your library have a website....if they do, browse their card catalog online and request the books you want, they will get them ready for you and all you have to do is pick them up.

I do this all the time, so that when I leave the library I have what I wanted too, without trying to search for it. I can spend the entire time IN the library helping the kids pick out what they want. With 4 kids it makes it much easier for me.
#7 of 22 Old 10-26-2005, 09:31 AM

Their Eyes Were Watching God- Zora Neale Hurston
Fair and Tender Ladies- Lee Smith
Clan of the Cave Bear (and all the other books in the Earth's Children" series)- Jean Auel

The Red Tent (forgot who wrote that!)
#8 of 22 Old 10-26-2005, 11:12 AM

My all time favorite is A.S. Byatt... Particularly the "Frederica" books: The Virgin in the Garden, Still Life, Babel Tower and A Whistling Woman.
#9 of 22 Old 10-26-2005, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for these suggestions!
#10 of 22 Old 10-26-2005, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey
Their Eyes Were Watching God- Zora Neale Hurston

The Red Tent (forgot who wrote that!)
I've tried twice to read TEWWG and couldn't get through it, I couldn't wrap my brain around the diction, I just couldn't get used to it.

The Red Tent....awesome book, wasn't it Anita Diamont who wrote that, I can't remember.
#11 of 22 Old 10-26-2005, 09:50 PM

That diction is what interested me in TEWWG. It's a similar style in F&TL, but it's told in letter form, instead of verbal, and the writer writes how she talks.

I can see "ANITA" across the front of the book... so I think you're right.
#12 of 22 Old 10-26-2005, 11:32 PM

"Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" by Fannie Flagg.
I also loved "The Red Tent".
#13 of 22 Old 10-27-2005, 12:11 AM

A book I always recommend to people is "Mama Day" by Gloria Naylor. It seems to fit your specifications. For me, it was one of those rare books that I cried and cried when I finished it because I knew I would never have the experience of reading it for the first time again.

"Ella Minnow Pea" by Mark Dunn

"A Girl Named Zippy" by Haven Kimmel

"Virgins" by Caryl Rivers - one of the funniest books...

"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel

oh and if you haven't read these 2 by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - "Love in the Time of Cholera" and "One Hundred Years of Solitude" - Amazing - even in translation...
#14 of 22 Old 10-27-2005, 12:16 AM

I recently read The Ivy Chronicles by Karen Quinn. It is about a woman who helps parents get their kids into fancy grade schools in NYC. It is over the top.
#15 of 22 Old 10-27-2005, 05:03 PM

The best two books I have read in the past few years were "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides, and "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. I read like a fiend and nothing I have read in the past, oh, five years or so has even come close to those.

Other recent good reads were "Some Things That Stay" by Sarah Willis, "The Center of Everything" by Laura Moriarty, and "The Glass Castle" (nonfiction, biography) by Jeannette Walls. All three have young girls as protagonists - I tend to be drawn to such characters.

Hmmm, what else? Here are a few that were popular years back, but maybe you haven't read them - "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb, "Midwives" by Chris Bohjalian, and my all-time favorite book, "Bastard Out of Carolina" by Dorothy Allison.

Happy reading!
#16 of 22 Old 10-27-2005, 05:49 PM

My favorite modern (20th c.) authors are all juicy and require attention. I love sinking into them.

Gore Vidal -- he has, generally, two kinds of novels: absurdist and historical. Sometimes they are combined. If you don't like absurdist, go with Julian or The Search for the King or his "american" novels. Here is a list of his stuff: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...iography&hl=en I loved Myra Breckenridge...but I really like stuff like that.

Louis Auchincloss -- "legal" and "family" novels. Here is a link. http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/arts/books/10790/ I loved Her Infinite Variety and East Side Story (recent).

Kurt Vonnegut -- some of his stuff is sci-fi, but much isn't. Slaughterhouse 5 is a classic and well worth it. (About the bombing of Dresden) http://www.kurt-vonnegut.com/index.shtml

Zora Neal Hurston -- as mentioned above. Her writing is spectacular and filled with joy. Not the happy pablum that passes for "joy", but the real ecstatic possibly tragic stuff.

Dorothy L. Sayers -- yes, she is known for her mysterys. However, her Peter Whimsey books (mysterys all) developed into great novels by the end of the series. You might want to give them a shot. I really liked Murder Must Advertise and Gaudy Night. Whimsey is a survivor with guilt of the WWI trenches and atones for his luck by using his highly-educated mind to solve other people's tragedies. Gaudy Night has some interesting philosophical points (that are crutial to the plot) that make it worth reading just for them.

Alastair MacLeod -- a poet who wrote a beautiful novel No Great Mischief a few years ago. About love in a family. Canadian.

Vikram Seth -- poet, I loved Golden Gate (novel in verse) and A Suitable Boy (not in verse).

And my favorite writer, when I am sick and really want to sink into something good, is very old -- Henry Fielding. English, "early" novelist. Wrote Tom Jones, possibly the best-plotted book ever. Language is hard for some (18th c. english) but worth it.
#17 of 22 Old 10-27-2005, 07:13 PM

a fine balance Rohinton Mistry

The Confessions of Max Tivoli Andrew Sean Greer

Blindness Jose Saramago

Homo faber Max Frisch
#18 of 22 Old 11-07-2005, 01:27 AM

some of my faves:

We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

The Poisonwood Bible: A Novel by Barbara Kingsolver

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#19 of 22 Old 11-07-2005, 11:34 PM

:
#20 of 22 Old 11-08-2005, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaMom
The best two books I have read in the past few years were "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides, and "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. I read like a fiend and nothing I have read in the past, oh, five years or so has even come close to those.

Hmmm, what else? Here are a few that were popular years back, but maybe you haven't read them - "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb, "Midwives" by Chris Bohjalian, and my all-time favorite book, "Bastard Out of Carolina" by Dorothy Allison.

Happy reading!
I think you are my book twin I loved all of those...

I would also suggest anything by John Irving
Augusta, Gone and Waiting to Fly - both by Martha Tod Dudman
I know this much is true by Wally Lamb
anything by Amy Tan

and... so many more but I am drawing a blank because all I am reading lately are pregnancy related books

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page