Eldest Anyone? (or Eragon?...) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 10-27-2005, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read Eragon when it came out a few years ago, and just got and finished Eldest from the library. I really enjoy the books, Eldest even more than Eragon. I realize that it isn't hard to follow the basic outline for a hero story, but it does take a creative mind to make another story about elves, dwarves and dragons that is interesting, intelligent and gripping.

Anyone else read it? I could stare at that picture of the dragon on teh cover all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-14-2006, 12:29 PM

My boys and I are reading these books now, My younger son and I are reading Eragon, my 11 yr old is working on Eldest.

I love when I find books like this. I want to read it all at one sitting, yet I don't because I know there's nothing like reading a great story for the first time!

My 8 yr old has been taking Eragon to school with him to read during his free time, then I catch up when he comes home, and at bedtime we read it together.

I can't wait to see what happens next!
#3 of 8 Old 03-14-2006, 08:41 PM

I really enjoyed them.

I originally read Eragon because it was written by a 15 year old homeschooler. I continued because they are enjoyable and I really look forward the the third book.

That said, it was funny in a way to read. Very obviously written by a 15 year old who had grown up reading LOTR (apparently there is actually another series it is even more derivative of that I have not read--- DPs work friends have commented on that).

#4 of 8 Old 03-15-2006, 10:56 PM

Eh. It's really awesome coming from a very young writer, but I can see lots of Robert Jordan and Anne McCaffrey as well as Tolkein. I also thought that the characters seemed a little bit cardboard. Not so much life experience to draw on.

I haven't read Eldest yet. I did enjoy Inheritance enough to keep reading them. I've read much worse fantasy from adults who should know better.
#5 of 8 Old 03-16-2006, 04:20 AM

I agree with all of the above! I originally read Eragon after reading an article in Newsweek about Christopher Paolini. I thought it was awesome that he was so young and homeschooled as well. That was also something that caught my eye about Elijah Wood (Frodo). He was homeschooled, too. Anyway, I liked Eragon enough to buy Eldest when it came out and am looking forward to the third. It is very reminiscent of other authors, but that doesn't bother me. I do agree that it lacks the depth that more life experience would have given it.

Single mom by choice to Sophia, age 18, and Eleanor, age 12, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!
#6 of 8 Old 03-16-2006, 11:51 AM

I don't think much of his lack of life experience affecting his writing as it is a young writer's work - I am just happy that my boys are enjoying them. After all, it really is children's literature...that adults can also enjoy!

I look forward to watching this author, and his work, grow.
#7 of 8 Old 03-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

I think he has demonstrated a great deal of growth between Eragon and Eldest. While still enjoyable, Eldest seemed a lot more fluid to me. I think he is going to keep on improving and learning. I was impressed with what he did at that age, fifteen is very young to approach a monumental task like writing a novel, and he succeeded so well! I too read it initially because of the homeschooling. I thought that was great. Can you imagine him being able to focus his talent like that had he been in public school? Think of all the enjoyment we would have missed out on!
#8 of 8 Old 03-17-2006, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama
I think he has demonstrated a great deal of growth between Eragon and Eldest. While still enjoyable, Eldest seemed a lot more fluid to me. I think he is going to keep on improving and learning. I was impressed with what he did at that age, fifteen is very young to approach a monumental task like writing a novel, and he succeeded so well! I too read it initially because of the homeschooling. I thought that was great. Can you imagine him being able to focus his talent like that had he been in public school? Think of all the enjoyment we would have missed out on!
Totally. I can't wait to read what he writes 10 years from now!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page