CHD children and Chicken Pox etc... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 10-31-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So...this concern has been on my mind for a while now (amongst the multitude of others we all share)
My heart LO, 4yo, has never had a shot (same as my other 2 LO's) but I'm not worried about him ever getting Measles etc, nor would I change my mind to give him a vax either.
Its chicken pox that has me worried. I actually want him to get them...or do I? Is he anyhow more at risk for severe side-effects because of his heart issues? Its hard to find legit info when every heart site warns "vax, vax, vax".
My other LO's caught CP naturally at a birthday party when they were 2&4.

Do any of you have some directions perhaps that you could point me in or advice??

Thank you!

wife & mum to 9yo dd, 7yo ds1 & 5yo ds2 and our rescue dog Roger!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-31-2009, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you spoken with your cardiologist?

My heart ds is considered fully resolved, so he should be able to handle illnesses and viruses like a "typical" child without any special precautions. In reality, he seems to rebound from illnesses faster than his typical peers, but that's him. For a long time, I was super diligent about *not* exposing him to illnesses, but gradually I let that go as his immune system developed.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#3 of 4 Old 10-31-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Oy...his Cardiologist...he's from the "vax to stay alive" era. My hospital stay during his OHS was plagued with long awkward stares from nurses in disbelief that he wasn't vaxed.
True, I feel that he IS a really strong boy now and could likely handle an illness better than most of us! Still though...in the deep recesses of my heart I worry about the one day he may not react so well

wife & mum to 9yo dd, 7yo ds1 & 5yo ds2 and our rescue dog Roger!

#4 of 4 Old 10-31-2009, 01:18 PM

My son is on aspirin therapy. He did receive the CP vaccine due to the threat of Rye Syndrome. My other heart kid is not on aspirin therapy and so did not receive the vaccine.My 3rd dc with no heart issues did not receive the vax either. We are a selective vax family and I feel that this allows us to be really informed in what works for each kid/situation.

We homeschool, but the school district for our borough has mandated the CP vaccine this year.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page