Patterns or Tutorials for SPD Stuff - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 12-28-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about making some various things for my 3 yo DS with SPD. I think a "crash pad" would be good for him, since he loves to jump and bounce around. I have an old comforter that I plan on using to make it. I thought I would fold the comforter in half to make it nice and thick and then sew a cover for it with an old flannel sheet. In might need an anti-skid thingy under it, so it won't slip around on the hardwood floors though.

I have also been considering making him a weighted lap mat/toy. Right now he carries around a rice-sock that I made for him. He loves it when I warm it in the microwave. But it would be neat to make it into an animal or something fun. He really loves dinos and bugs. Has anyone seen a tutorial for making one of these or made one themselves?

Lastly, DS really responds to having a small widget to squeeze when he becomes overstimulated and overwhelmed. Right now we just give him a damp microfiber cloth. How can I make it something more fun or toy like? Ideas?

I am pretty crafty and very good with a sewing machine. I just need some ideas and insight to bring all these projects together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 12-29-2009, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a doubled comfortor wouldn't be eneugh to crsh on. Try calling local upholstry shops to see who may have scraps they can save for you. Just find an old duvet cover and a set of flat sheets. make a big pillow out of the sheets and stuff with the foam scraps. Slip the duvet over it so you have a washable cover. You can skip the last step if you like though and just stuff some sheets to whatever size.

Maybe check out a sock puppet tute online. Instead of having a spo for your hand to go in sew the end shut and fill with rice. Warm and go!

Check out a busy book pattern with zipperd and snaps and such.Attach the book covers to the top of a weighted lap pad or a boppy shaped lap pad.
A boppy shaped pad is an awesome secure feeling. You could check out if he likes a boppy for on his lap. I have an old worn out one here my DD's like to curl up in. The fluff is all worn and I think adding some poly pellets would be a nice addition.

Maybe ask your childs OT for weight/size suggestions for these items as some are pretty specific. Also ask about how often your child should be using them. I also found out the hard way last year to use poly pellets instead of beans on lap pads and such. Dried beans don't like to get wet and where theres a toddler theres goin to be something wet.
Sarah

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page