worried: new to walking, low tone, and illness then not walking - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 07-26-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some honest advice from Moms of kids with low tone. Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm just trying to lay out the facts. I promise if you read through my question is pretty simple.

My son has Down syndrome. He is 2 1/2. He has no health issues, in fact he is the healthiest person in our family. He has just mastered walking, and has been doing well for about 2 months now. He does not have a lot of endurance.

Last week he came down with a virus and ran a fever off and on for 4 days. He had flu like symptoms so you can imagine how he was just wiped out and on the couch for the better part of a week. Obviously he he was not doing a whole lot of moving around.

Now that he has recovered he has refused to walk. Over the weekend I did observed him get up and walk across the house when he heard Sponge bob on the TV and walk to get to a toy that his sister was playing with but both times he seemed to realize he was walking than just flop down on the floor.

He will stand up to allow DH help him dress, but for me he lifts his legs up (as toddlers do) refusing to stand. For the last 3 nights he has been able to stand at the bottom of DD's bunk bed ladder for 15 minutes whining to get up with no problem. (When DD is playing on her bunk it's considered her "get away from my brother " play time so he's not allowed up.)

He has been crawling, scooting, climbing and generally playing typically.

He has been a little more tiered than usual and a little more cranky than usual when he's tiered.

I am starting to worry that what is going on is some kind of regression, which I see as never a good thing. DH thinks he's just wiped out and since DS has always been super cautious about physical stuff, that he just doesn't feel steady enough to walk yet. I feel conflicted because DS does seem to be recovering from a virus in every way, my gut feels he's OK, but the walking thing has my "mommy worry" on alert.

I am wondering if low tone combined with a virus that puts you on the couch for 5 days looks like this or if I really need to be worried. Anyone have any insights?

A little more info that might help: Within the last 2 months we have all had a time when we have been bitten by mosquitoes, at least 10 bites. The bites looked redder and more swollen than usual and then within a few days the bitten person came down with a virus with flu like symptoms, followed by a longer than usual recovery period that left us wiped out for 2 weeks. 3 of us got it about the same time after going to a drive in movie, DS was not ill or bitten at that time (probably because I had him in long pants and sleeves). DS got bitten up at my Moms during the day while playing in a blow up pool. DD and I were also bitten at that time but the bites did not redden and swell on us, just DS. There have been cases of West Nile reported in the area (I was not aware of this till after DS got sick). All of our symptoms matched up to a mild case.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DSS has low tone (we don't know why yet) among other issues (lots of emotional ups and downs, some eating problems) and he was recently ill for about 4-5 days with a fever, diarrhea, no appetite, etc. and during that time and for a few days after he was VERY unsteady with his walking. It worried us and it really scared him. At one point he couldn't walk without holding onto anything. He was fine within a few days, back to his normal.

me & DP & our blended brood: DS(6), DD(4), DS(2.5), DS(2), and DS(6 months) & ... I my placenta!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page