questions regarding DS with Down Syndrome and food allergies.. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 12-29-2005, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi
My son will be 5 in a week We adopted him when he was 3 and although I know most of his history up to that point,it's sketchy.He has Down Syndrome and was tube fed exclusively for chronic aspiration of his lungs from 9 mos.old til' we were able to d/c the tube this past summer.He is eating 100% by mouth and doing great now.I have been growing more concerned about behaviors that seemed very close to autistic behaviors and also his increasing sensitive gut.i firmly believe he has a dairy intolerence but how do you know if it's a lactose or dairy or are they the same....? For instance,it started out that if he had ice cream,or sips of milk,or cheese within a half hour he would be on the floor screaming,sweat pouring,heart racing and finally after horrific stomach cramps he would have 3-4 rounds of Major diahrea until it was out of his system then he would collapse into sleep from exhaustion.Now,those events happen even if there's something with a milk product in it.i gave the boys frozen waffles the other day and didn't realize they were buttermilk(yes...Eggo's)and he was up half the night.Also,when he was initially tested for the odd autistic like behaviors,they thought there really was at least some degree of ASD going on.(very difficult to determine esp.when there's already an established developmental delay i.e.Down Syndrome)He has been increasingly playing in his poop,not interacting in play,somewhat withdrawn or "sleepy",ALOT of repetitiveness in daily activity.Now I'm wondering if his weird gut issues aren't bringing on the behaviors,because they finally determined they really couldn't say he fell into any category as far as ASD goes.They said there's something for sure going on,but he would be a hard nut to crack.I'm not looking for a label,I already deal enough with the on ehe was born with,but I don't want to see him suffer especially after we've come so far in getting him weaned from the tube feeding and eating orally.He's also non verbal,btw.
Any help would be appreciated
P.S.Also,what exactly depicts gluten allergy,and does insurance from employer or state coverage(he has both)cover costs for testing for these allergies.I'm already dealing with my pediatrician concerning not vaxing,I'd rather go about the tesing on our own without getting the doc involved if at all possibe.He already thinks I'm crazy enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 12-29-2005, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It definitely sounds like a milk allergy to me. My ds has very similar symptoms. He gets diarrhea that litterally "burns" his little bum when he consumes dairy (by accident nowadays, since we know), which leads to a blistering rash that eventually bleeds. It's really horrendous.

I don't know much about the gluten allergy. I do know that lots of ASD kids are suspected of having a "leaky gut," and parents have found a real benefit of treating them for it with diet.

I'm on the fence myself about starting my ds on a gf/cf diet, as he has a feeding disorder but his behavior has just gone off the charts.

There are several moms here who have their kiddos on gf/cf diets, they can help. Also, in the nutrition and good eating forum there are lots of gf/cf and healing the gut moms who can help out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page