Lost our two youngest kids today, but found them, need help too... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was very scary, I was taking a nap after working late last night and dh was playing a video game with our older dd that they'd gotten for Christmas and he had just told our 2 youngest kids (3 nt and 5 pddnos) that they would need to take a nap in a few minutes. Well, after about 5 minutes he went to collect them for naps and they were no where to be found He called them and assumed that they were avoiding him to not take a nap. But after about 5 min. of looking and not being able to find them he started to panic and woke me up. We called them in the house and looked through everything and calling their names. Went out side and called for them too. No response and we couldn't hear them either After searching for a bit and half of us inside and half of us outside, we ran to neighbors houses to see if they had seen them and none had. They helped us look too. Dh and I were practically hypervenilating and freaking out. We were a wreck. All I could think of was that maybe they went outside and someone had taken off with them.

After about 15-20 of looking we found my youngest after he said I'm stuck and I looked around trying to figure out where we heard his voice. He had hid in the closet and was stuck behind a couple bins of shoes, roller skates and coats. Wow, the relief was wonderful, but we still didn't know where my dd was. I asked him and he didn't know where she was. We ran around the house searching everywhere again. He said that he didn't hear her go outside, so we assumed that she was inside. We searched and searched, calling her name and begging with her to please come out and that we missed her. Finally we heard her say "Leave me alone" in a mad tone and after a bit of looking found her in her room hiding under a table which we thought we had searched. I just sobbed and sobbed. I still can't believe how quiet they were and that they wouldn't answer us at all. That is the worst gut wrenching feeling to have thought that you lost your own children and that something bad might have happened to them Well, when we found dd she was super angry and was having a meltdown, screaming and wouldn't let me near her. I said that I was so happy that I found her and that we were so worried about her and that I loved her, but she was just really mad. It was hard not to give her a big hug because I was so delighted to find her. I was hysterical and crying and I think this made her react in a strange way. She is very young emotionally and reacts strangly with different emotions. So with all our strong emotions, she probably was overloaded. My dh got her to calm down and she took a nap. When she got up, she was calm, so I tried to explain that we were very sad because we didn't know where she was and that if we call her please answer next time so we know where she is. She laughed and didn't make eye contact and seemed not to understand or comprehend what we were saying to her. Ugg. I wish that I could get her to understand emotions and understand certain things. Her brother who is 3 explained that we were sad because we didn't know where he was and he said he was sad too. I wish she could understand things too

Anyway, that is our saga. I'm glad everything turned out well.

So praise that God helped us find them and that they are safe.

Feel a little stupid for losing our own children in our house , but don't care, just glad that they are ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 12:35 AM
Ok

Hiding is pretty normal for many kids.
#3 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSizzled View Post
My brother used to hide quietly in the house. He also would hide in cabinets in his classroom sometimes (which really freaked the teacher out the first couple times). My 8yo has wandered on his own and hidden in trees. Dh was calling 911 once when ds "forgot to be quiet" and starting to sing.

Sorry for your stress today. Remember those hiding spots in case they go missing again. The worst is when they hide and fall asleep b/c then it is really hard to find them. Hopefully they won't do it again. Best wishes.
THis makes me feel much better. Thank you so much for sharing.

#4 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 12:55 AM

Hugs mama! My Ds once told me he was running away and BOLTED. We were outside unloading the car when he did this. I dropped everything I had in my hands and took off after him but I wasn't fast enough. He darted between houses and was GONE. He never goes far but I was still freakign out. I ran up and down the street screaming and then grabbed my bike from the garage and started circling the block. (all the while my oldest is watching the youngest in the fenced back yard, but what else could I do?)

I started calling 911 on my cell as I dashed up to my front porch and then I saw him... crouched in the porch behind some stuff. He heard me yelling the entire time and refused to call back because he was mad at me. He had some how doubled back when I ran after him and was hiding out there the entire time!

So, no, you aren't the only one who has expereienced the bolting/hiding child. Its just a joy in public when they run and then hide in a clothing rack. I think my 8 year old is so super responsible because she's used to me saying "Grab your sister and don't move" as I run off after her brother.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#5 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 01:00 AM

Oh mama! I know the feeling, the mounting panic, the crying relief, all of it!

Bede (classic autism, does not respond to his name consistently) has hidden and fallen asleep, and once the outside door was ajar! We live less than a hundred yards from the interstate, and I was in a blind panic charging in circles around the house only to collapse crying in a heap after DH banged on the window from inside, holding up a sleepy and confused boy.

It happened summer of 2006 and I still remember the sickening fear.
#6 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I remember once DD1 fell asleep on the couch under a big blanket- I think she was 5 or 6 at the time. I searched all over for her and couldn't find her, was really starting to panic- I was ready to call 911 when the commotion woke her and I felt so stupid for not checking the couch more carefully!

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#7 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 01:22 AM

This is why every outside door plus the doors leading to them have those child proof doorknobs. Lucky for me Ds has a weak grip. A few months ago I only had a knob on the pantry door leading to the door to the garage. Well, I left it open and he got out into the garage and since the garage door was up he left. He was looking for me but he's never called out for me, he'd just look.

I was brushing my teeth and my Nate-dar went off. I looked everywhere outside and in. On my trip back outside there he was running back down the trail from the park.

I was having a complete out of body. We have a pedophile sex offender one street over to add to the stress.

I'm so blessed that nothing bad happened.

We have much better security now
#8 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 02:04 AM

When I was 4, I hid in my closet under all my stuffed animals.

My parents looked everywhere for me, could not find me, and then called the police. After searching the entire neighborhood and city, they found me. I fell asleep and started snoring.

A policeman was in my room and heard snoring under the stuffed animals and got me out.

My mom said still remembers that vividly till today.
#9 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 09:18 AM

My dd has done that a handful of times, too. For some reason, she will not respond to her name if she can't see you. It's so panicking. My mind always leaps to the least possible, but scariest scenarios.

Once ds, dd, and I were taking a nap. Bedroom door was closed, and she couldn't open it. I woke up, and she was gone! I looked under the bed, on the floor, in the closets. The door was still closed, but I checked all around the house. The outside doors were still bolted, but she was nowhere. Finally, I went back up to the bedroom, trying to figure out if I should call emergency or not, since I was fairly certain there was no way she had gotten out of the house. I smelled something. I followed the poopy diaper smell, and found dd inside the cosleeper, asleep. I had no idea how she got there, but I was so thankful that she had that diaper.

I put an ID bracelet on her that gives me some peace. If she does get away and someone finds her, they can call me. I really wish there was a way to put a GPS on her.
#10 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 01:18 PM

My brother once buried my other brother (they were like 2 and 3 at the time) in the toy box under stuffed animals - and the one under all the toys fell asleep. My mom had the entire block looking for him.

I lost ds Sean at this really big park once during soccer photos when he was 3 1/2. One moment, he was playing with the other kids, next moment, he was gone. There was a park behind a clump of trees that he spotted (I couldn't see it) and he ran there and was found - fifteen minutes later - swinging on a swing, no clue that he had just panicked every parent there for soccer pictures. I remember thinking "I have to pick up dh from the airport in three hours and tell him I lost his son." Sheesh. Another time he took off at a department store at the mall.

My dd Miriam was the worst. She'd hide and not respond. We were at Target, she was standing next to the cart one moment. I grabbed deodorant off the shelf, turned, and she was gone. There was a store worker at the end of the aisle and I just went straight to him and asked if he'd seen a little girl. Within a minute, they basically had the store on lockdown and every associate on the floor looking for her, security posted at the doors, etc. She was found down by cosmetics after a few minutes. The fact that two people from the store caught her seemed to put a scare in her - she hasn't not answered me since then at a store.

Of course, the funny part of that story was when I asked her where she went and she said "I was hiding behind the toilet paper." Yep, she climbed onto a shelf and hid behind the jumbo packs of tp - because she was small enough too.
#11 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 01:23 PM

Oh, I forgot, lol!

There was one morning I woke up, went to the bathroom and noticed Sean not in bed. Wasn't worried, but then heard this strange but familiar noise floating through the screen...

Three year old Sean was out on the deck at 7 am, riding his trike.

Another time, Miriam - also three...three is a special age, isn't it?...decided after I left to go to the store, that she was going to go with me and went out the front door while dh was in the bathroom. Our neighbor saw her walking down the block and knew that she shouldn't be out there (as he put it "I know y'all don't let those babies wander around on their own!" - lol), he got her, said "Are you supposed to be out here?", she said no, he brought her home...and dh hadn't noticed she was gone even! Sure, it was like three minutes total but we lived a block from a busy intersection. Dh put the fear of God into her about that one. But we also installed locks at the top of the doors that I could barely reach.
#12 of 12 Old 12-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Here's my story:

Over the summer I got home with both sons, from where I don't remember. We have a fenced in yard, but that twists around the garage, so you can't see into the backyard unless you walk past the garage. Anyway, we got home, I carried the little one, who was sleeping, and told Ezra to come along. I shut the gate, went inside, put the baby in his crib, and went to check my email. I assumed Ezra was playing in his room. After a moment, though, it seemed too quiet, so I went looking. He wasn't in his room. He wasn't in the bathroom. He wasn't anywhere. The panic started. I went outside to see if he had slipped into the backyard when we were coming inside, but he wasn't in the yard. I looked in the garage, and he wasn't there either. I started freaking, went inside again. Did he not come in and I closed the gate on him? I went running down the sidewalk in a panic, calling his name. This was the first time it occurred to me: He won't necessarily come if I call, and if someone found him walking along and asked him who he belonged to, he wouldn't know how to answer, and he would be scared. He would just want to come home. This is when I started crying. Suddenly, I thought of something and climbed past a butterfly bush that had been recently trimmed, making a passage into our next door neighbors yard. Sure enough, there he was, just hanging out on the next door neighbor's patio. He had no idea there had been a problem, and he wouldn't have understood had I tried. I did anyway - told him to never ever go through that passage again and to never leave our yard without Mommy or Daddy, but I doubt he remembers. It's so scary knowing how easily they can get lost and not know what to say to get home. I'm so sorry that happened to you, OP. Meanwhile, I'm going to look into those ID bracelets!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page