Mood Disorder NOS/Pediatric Bipolar Disorder? Anyone? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know if I should post here or on the Mental Health thread.

My son (age 11) has recently been diagnosed with Mood Disorder NOS, but his treatment plan is bipolar. This diagnosis was made during a 6 day hospitalization after he tried to hang himself. That was about 10 days ago.

He was previously diagnosed with ADHD, Tourette's, and OCD. He's on a couple of medications that I've been told make mood disorders worse. His moods have always been like a pendulum...he just swings until he hits a wall...but in the last 8 months they've gotten phenomenally more severe.

Is there anyone else here working with this? I feel like I have no idea how to parent this child. I am willing to do whatever it takes, no matter how difficult it is, I just don't know what that might be. The meltdowns he has at his dad's house aren't as severe as the ones he has with me. I know that he's afraid of his father in the sense that he's afraid to make him angry.

I've ordered two books: The Bipolar Child and SOS: Help for Emotions.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-21-2008, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We just took placement of a 12yo foster son who is dx'd bipolar but on Adderall (which is known to make bipolar aggression worse ). So I'm currently in learning mode. This one also had a hospitalization for some kind of suicide related issue (I believe just threats) in the fall.

We're going the dietary intervention route. And if your son's meltdowns are milder in ANY consistent circumstance, I think this might be something you'd consider as well. My bio son was suspected of being brain damaged and a good portion of the symptoms were caused by food irritants.

Keep a good log on him (pm me if you want a template) and make sure the father does as well. See if you can find any consistent differences in what he ingests that might be irritating him. Mimic the food at the father's house for a month and see if it helps at home.

Otherwise, I'm no help... I'm looking for answers like you, but I believe my fs was misdiagnosed. I could be way wrong about that, but for now, that's the suspicion.

Heather - Wife 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mommy 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 &

#3 of 4 Old 02-21-2008, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm very interested in the food issue!

Our new doctor, for whom I am eternally grateful for too many reasons to list, gave us a referral to an allergist to have DS tested. He mentioned that several common food sensitivities cause/aggravate mood problems, so we're making an appointment to see him.

I can see why you're concerned about the Adderall. We were on Lexapro (for OCD issues), Fluphenazine (for verbal and motor tics) and Concerta (for ADHD). The day after his dosage was raised on the Lexapro and Concerta, he had the big episode in which he tried to hang himself. At the hospital, we found out that SRI's and stimulants can make mood problems worse. Now we're on Lexapro (smaller dose), Carbatrol (anti-psychotic), Concerta (much smaller dose), and Zyprexa (mood stabilizer), but the new doctor may change that.

8 months ago the thought of a food allergy would have stressed me out. Now I'm PRAYING for a food allergy, because it would be the simplest solution to our problems. My, how perspective can change!

It sounds like we're both in research mode! I just ordered two books that were recommended to me by an MDC mom and the new child psych, respectively...The Bipolar Child and SOS: Help for Emotions. I'm holding my breath until the UPS guy arrives.

I may e-mail you for that template, after we see the allergist. Thanks for the offer!

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#4 of 4 Old 02-21-2008, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a bipolar child group on this forum, perhaps ask there

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page