New here, expecting triplets plus one - Mothering Forums

#1 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so nervous! I just found out I'm having triplets! I have a one and a half year old already, this is amazing and wonderful but scary! I have too many questions to ask, so I was hoping for some advice and comforting words if you have any! How do take care of three babies as well as I took care of one? Breast feeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing... I don't know how to do it all when I don't even have one hand per baby, not to mention a toddler! Don't get me wrong, I am happy, but a little scared, too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 AM

Welcome! There is a ton of great advice to be found here, plus lots of friendly mamas to offer support. I know that there are a couple of triplet mamas here, they should be able to pass along some wisdom.

My twins are my only DC so I will let the other mamas talk about raising multiples with older children.
#3 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations!! Hopefully TrimMom (I think that's her screen name) will see your post. She has simmilar and her triplets are 2 or 3 now and she has a ds a year or 2 older.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#4 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 10:29 AM

Welcome, and congratulations! There are a couple of other triplet moms on MDC, and I hope they come say hello!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#5 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 AM

Congratulations! I've never had triplets so I don't have any advice. I did nurse 3 at once though one of those was a toddler. As with APing any multiples, you'll find a way to adjust things to make it work for your family. Good luck!

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#6 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 11:13 AM

Congratulations on triplets! How exciting/scary!!!!!
#7 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 12:13 PM

Congrats! How far along are you?

I couple of must-reads:

"When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads, Revised Edition: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy" by Barbara Luke

"Mothering Multiples" by Karen Kerkhoff Gromada

http://www.karengromada.com/karengromada/index.htm

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#8 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot to mention! I'm only 6 weeks... they checked me because of previous miscarriage and things just seeming... off. Its so strange, one day my biggest problem is being unbearably hungry, and then... its because there are three babies in there! Wow! Still in shock.
#9 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 12:26 PM

Congratulations! It is a crazy thing to grow three babies! I am so excited for you!!

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#10 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 02:40 PM

I had twins and 2 older kids (5 and 7 at the time, so a different age gap). It can be done, just be patient. Sooo patient

Congrats!!
#11 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 06:00 PM

Get used to the hungry! And start chowing down on some protein now. Nutrition is very important during your first trimester to help build healthy placentas. Seriously, go get the Dr. Luke book ASAP.

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#12 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 07:38 PM

Welcome! I'm expecting triplets, too. I'm 12 weeks and I can say for sure, the hunger does not go away!

I found out at 6w3d and I think the shock is starting to wear off now, and I'm starting to believe I'll have three...

Congratulations!
#13 of 21 Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 PM

HI,
my days are busy and i ususally only post in fragments, at one point i did have proper grammar skills...

.Take it easy, be gentle and KEEP EATING
#14 of 21 Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLateNicole View Post
I'm so nervous! I just found out I'm having triplets! I have a one and a half year old already, this is amazing and wonderful but scary! I have too many questions to ask, so I was hoping for some advice and comforting words if you have any! How do take care of three babies as well as I took care of one? Breast feeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing... I don't know how to do it all when I don't even have one hand per baby, not to mention a toddler! Don't get me wrong, I am happy, but a little scared, too!
CONGRATS!!!!!!
#15 of 21 Old 03-13-2008, 01:04 PM

Congratulations! What an adventure you're in for!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#16 of 21 Old 03-13-2008, 01:27 PM

Congratulations, how exciting.
#17 of 21 Old 03-16-2008, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi and Congrats! I am so glad I saw this post. I haven't been on line very consistently lately. Oh - how wonderful for you. How exciting. How scarey. My DS was just shy of 2 years old when we found out we were having the triplets. Life is so funny. Well - congrats again. I'll try to keep a look out for your posts - and feel free to PM me.

All this applies to the other triplet mom to be too that I see posted on this board.

Congrats to both of you!

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (12) and BBG (10)
#18 of 21 Old 03-16-2008, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh yeah - real quick. I also recommend Dr. Luke's book. Its really important to front load weight gain in a higher order multiple pregnancy - really important - as you run out of room later on and its really hard to stay on a healthy weight gain pace. And one other thing - the diet in the book is really hard to do - I don't know how many people can actually consume that much food - but striving for it as more of a "goal" will reap you huge benefits . . . . .

Just thought I'd chime in on that topic.

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (12) and BBG (10)
#19 of 21 Old 03-17-2008, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats!! My triplets are 18 months and my older daughter is 3 1/2.

EAT. A lot. Don't eat junk, eat a LOT of protien and good food. Get Dr Lukes book and eat eat eat and drink lots of water.
#20 of 21 Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 PM

Congratulations! My triplets are 10 months now and my eldest is 4 1/2. I remember well the anxiety about caring for three plus one. There are a bunch of great resources.

During your pregnancy, Dr. Luke's book is a wonderful resource - as is Having Twins and More by Elizabeth Noble. Simply being pregnant with triplets is a huge physical challenge. You want to take excellent care of your body to increase your likelihood of a complication-free pregnancy. Even with excellent care, you can't control everything, but you want to increase your chances of a long pregnancy. Those two books give a lot of great information.

Multiple Births Canada also has a book: Finding Our Way: Life with Triplets, Quadruplets, and Quintuplets. It is not ap, but is one of the few resources out there specifically for Higher Order Multiples.

There is an apmultiples yahoo group. I found it a very supportive group when I had time to participate. Karen Gromada used to hang out there; I don't know if she still does, but I got great advice and support from her about lactation issues.

Check out your local parents of multiples club and see how ap friendly they are and how many triplet parents are around. The two clubs closest to me have enough ap moms to make it worth my while to go to meetings, but none of the other triplet moms get to the meetings.

Think hard about what help you will want around after the birth. To breastfeed triplets, you need to be committed, supported, and helped, in addition to being lucky about how your body handles the pregnancy and how long you carry the babies. I was very late really accepting the reality that I would have three little ones and did not set up the help I needed and it really impacted the success of breastfeeding for me. You need to count on spending 24 hours a day doing nothing but feeding babies for weeks, so you will need other people to do ALL of the other work around the house.

Triplets plus one is a challenge. The reality of life after the birth will teach you what your family needs. My eldest is (and always has been) high needs, and in order to maintain my sanity and his mental health, I have needed to parent my triplets quite differently than I parented him. You will quickly discover what will be best for your family. It may not be the same as for your eldest, but if you approach your decisions from the same underlying values that underly the choices that you made with your eldest, it will be the same quality parenting.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#21 of 21 Old 03-18-2008, 03:41 PM

congratulations!! Make sure you are getting plenty of vitamins and minerals as well...I recommend natural sources of vitamin C to help keep the membranes strong! Best of luck growing your babies!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page