tips needed for bath time with 8.5 month olds - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 11-16-2008, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They love to take baths, and since they have graduated out of the baby bath (solo) and into the big tub to do baths together, it is a fun activity for us. If another adult is here with me, no biggie. But I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for getting them out of the tub, lotioned/oiled and dressed when I am here alone? Obviously, having everything ready to go. . . I just don't really like dressing them in the bathroom b/c it isn't huge, so close to the toilet and let's be honest. . . my bathrooms are not sparkling at the moment.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just refuse to do bathtime unless I have help. I just don't feel safe doing it otherwise. Now DH has bathed both by himself (kudos to him!), but he's strong enough to lift both and take them to the other room. He just puts dipes on first and then figures out the rest from there.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 12 Old 11-16-2008, 09:57 PM

I have two thirteen month olds and we do baths one at a time. I just can't take them out, wet and slippery, or keep them safe in the tub by myself. So ever since they were teenies, I have put toys and books in the crib that faces the door. While I bathe and dress one, I sing and talk to everybody. Then we switch. It takes about a half hour to forty minutes. But then we are all ready for bed.

#4 of 12 Old 11-17-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPeanuts View Post
I have put toys and books in the crib that faces the door.
If I do baths alone, this is what I do, too - alternate one in the crib with toys and one with me in the bath (yes, with me!). It doesn't take that long, even with me taking a bath with them... maybe 20 minutes? And I get to run around the house naked with my babies

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#5 of 12 Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaesa View Post
They love to take baths, and since they have graduated out of the baby bath (solo) and into the big tub to do baths together, it is a fun activity for us. If another adult is here with me, no biggie. But I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for getting them out of the tub, lotioned/oiled and dressed when I am here alone? Obviously, having everything ready to go. . . I just don't really like dressing them in the bathroom b/c it isn't huge, so close to the toilet and let's be honest. . . my bathrooms are not sparkling at the moment.
What specifically are you having a problem with? I get grief from the boys if I'm trying to rush it a bit. Easily solved with another 5 minutes of toy time. One of my twins has always liked to stay in the water after Brother is out and toweled off - cries if you pluck him out. So I just pop the drain and the water drains out slowly around him as he plays. Then he's fully-agreeable to jump into the towel.

I'm just not sure which part of it, exactly, you are wanting more structure with. Is it that you have a hard time getting both of them into the bedroom? Or do you have one babe really upset in the time your lotion & dressing of the other babe takes?

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#6 of 12 Old 11-17-2008, 12:12 PM

I sometimes bathe with my twins (11 mo) and I always keeps the water level low, about to their belly buttons, that way when they want to crawl around, their faces stay out of the water.

I take them out one at a time and set them on the towel. Then take them both to their crib with a few toys while I get the diapers and clothes and whatever all ready. Usually the big kids are there to entertain them. Diapers and dress and then they get set free to crawl around and burn off the last bit of energy for the day.

Nothing fancy, but that's the nuts and bolts over here.

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
#7 of 12 Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the out of the tub and into the bedroom part. Bathroom and bedroom are right next to each other, but I feel I should always be an arms length away when they are in the bathroom, in water or not. I can do them separate, they just have such a good time together. I may end up waiting and always doing them when someone else is here. Or take a highchair into bathroom.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#8 of 12 Old 11-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I often had to bath them alone when they were that age. I would take one out and put a towel on the floor and diaper one while the water drained around the other one, then take baby no. 2 out and diaper them on the towel. I was able to then hold two babies and take them to their bedroom. Popped them both into their cribs where they were safe then dressed them one at a time. Then it was story and nursing time and bed. It worked for us.

Good luck.

: wife to James, MoM to R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and D
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Aug 2007) and E
(Nov 2009) and Y
(April 2012) Lost three
and now expecting Nov 2016
#9 of 12 Old 11-17-2008, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was just pondering the same thing, EsaEsa! Like you, when I have a 2nd adult it's no problem. But when it's just me, it means either leaving one unattended in another room (not a popular choice) or having the non-bathing twin play in the bathroom while I bathe the other. Our bathroom is small too, and my girls seem fascinated by the space under the radiator. Not sparkling indeed.

No real solution besides those offered by the PPs. When I give it a try this week I think I'll get the bathroom good and warm, all ready to go, and go from one twin in the bath and the other playing naked on a towel, switch, and then all into the bedroom for dipes and PJs.

We'll see how it goes. But safest and easiest is just to wait for times when there's another adult around.

Good luck!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#10 of 12 Old 11-18-2008, 08:02 PM

Don't know if this will be of any help but I used to start draining the water, take one out, wrap him in a towel and sit him on the floor, take the other out, wrap in towel, and put him in the crib and go back and get the other one. The bathroom was right next to the bedroom though so it took two seconds. I was never worried about water cause it had drained before I left the room. Then I'd dress and diaper one while the other played in the crib or on the floor with the bedroom door closed and switch. It's definitely a challenge sometimes, but doable!
#11 of 12 Old 11-21-2008, 01:05 AM

um...how often do you bathe your 8.5 mo olds?

I bathe mine one at a time...once a week. : Usually on the weekend, when dh can keep the other one entertained. I'm thinking about bumping it up to twice a week, but they really don't get that dirty.

Certainly, they get a wipe-down every time they are changed, at least where it matters. And we wipe off hands and face at least once-a-day.

Is it really necessary to bathe more often than that?
#12 of 12 Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 AM

Our hallway outside our bathroom is quite long and fully childproofed with the doors to the rooms closed. At that age - and until about 13-14 months - if I was bathing them alone, I used to get them out of the bath, dry them enough to get a diaper on and put them in the hall with some toys and close the door until I had all three out. I hated having them behind a closed door, but they were safe and I moved quickly.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page