Stupid questions for teachers - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 01-14-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,
I am a mom of 3. I have been a SAHM since my first was born, and he is now 14. When I was 9 months pregnant I graduated from my teacher credential program in San Francisco, with the intent of going back to teach eventually. I completed my student teaching and graduated with a grade point average of 3.94, so I did pretty well in school.

Now that I am thinking of going back to work (finally!)--I am confused on how to do this. Here are my stupid quesions in no particular order:

1. If I do land a teaching job (and that is a big if right now!), how will I know what to teach and how to do the job? I know how to make a lesson plan, obviously--but would I do that for each and every day? Is there a certain time to teach certain subjects each day? How do I know what content to teach?

2. To me teaching now seems so daunting. Sort of like a one-woman show to be put on by me each day! And I am more the quiet, sensitive type--not the on the stage type--so I don't know if it is really something I could do. How do you handle having to be "on" every day? What about when you are sick (like with a lingering cough) and it is hard to talk--but you still have to teach? This is not like some desk job where you can sit quietly and sip tea, you know?

3. How am I suppose to get hired with no practical teaching experience behind me? I don't even have letters of recommendation from my lead teachers (when I student taught in 1993). All of the job listings I have seen so far for teachers require both experience and letters of recommendation.

Extra info:
I was hired on as a sub with our district last month. So far there have no jobs posted on their website at all (we have a small town and small district in the Bay Area). I am hoping if I can try subbing, I will have a better idea of what would be expected of me, but admit subbing even puts the fear of God into me! I would worry that I would be clueless on how to keep them busy.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-14-2009, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I teach 1st grade in Oakland, CA, so we are nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post

1. If I do land a teaching job (and that is a big if right now!), how will I know what to teach and how to do the job? I know how to make a lesson plan, obviously--but would I do that for each and every day? Is there a certain time to teach certain subjects each day? How do I know what content to teach?

There will most likely be a provided curriculum, depending on the school/district. My school has curricular flexibility, so we use various curriculums and methods, but everything we teach is guided by CA state standards. Your content will be dictated by the CA state standards. http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/

2. To me teaching now seems so daunting. Sort of like a one-woman show to be put on by me each day! And I am more the quiet, sensitive type--not the on the stage type--so I don't know if it is really something I could do. How do you handle having to be "on" every day? What about when you are sick (like with a lingering cough) and it is hard to talk--but you still have to teach? This is not like some desk job where you can sit quietly and sip tea, you know?

You do get sick time. How much will depend on your school/district. The first year does feel like a giant endurance race, but you will find strength and stamina that you never thought you had.

3. How am I suppose to get hired with no practical teaching experience behind me? I don't even have letters of recommendation from my lead teachers (when I student taught in 1993). All of the job listings I have seen so far for teachers require both experience and letters of recommendation.

I was hired on as a sub with our district last month. So far there have no jobs posted on their website at all (we have a small town and small district in the Bay Area). I am hoping if I can try subbing, I will have a better idea of what would be expected of me, but admit subbing even puts the fear of God into me! I would worry that I would be clueless on how to keep them busy.

Subbing is a great way to get back in to the profession, in addition to finding a permanent position. If I were you, I would also go back to school and take a few refresher courses, particularly in classroom management, literacy and math instruction.

There is a lot more I can share, but I need to go pick up my students right now. Bbl.
#3 of 10 Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 PM

I know a lot of women who got their teaching jobs by subbing first - so I think that is a great decision... GL!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +

#4 of 10 Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 PM
A&A

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Elementary or secondary?

It IS like being a one-woman show. I'm very introverted, as well. It's an acting job, in a way. You get used to it.

Yes, you should have a lesson plan for every day. Hopefully the district will provide you with a mentor to help you at first.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 12:15 AM

I'm a high school teacher in San Francisco. This is my 4th year teaching and I love it. My first year was exhausting and I was really overwhelmed, but it did get easier as the year went by.

Teaching is like putting on a one woman show every day. It's really fun and enjoyable. I love getting to know my students and watching them grow and change. It's really a wonderful experience.

I subbed for several years while I was getting my masters degree. It was really good experience and taught me a lot. I'd try out certain things in the classroom and see how it went. If things didn't go well it didn't matter because I only had those students for one day.

To answer your question about getting hired without letters of recommendation, you can either sub or volunteer in a classroom. Either way, I'd try to get to know as many people and administrators as possible so that it's easier for you to get your foot in the door.

jog.gifkid.gif

#6 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Hopefully the district will provide you with a mentor to help you at first.
Once you are hired by a school, you will have to go through BTSA (http://www.btsa.ca.gov/), which is a beginning teacher induction program mandated by CA, in order to receive your CLEAR creditential. It is a 2 year program and you will be assigned a mentor, hopefully a good one.
#7 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

This would be for elementary school. Thank you all so much for the information. Yep, I still need to get a clear credential, and my emergency credential has expired. I was granted an extention on it so that I could sub, but I know I will eventually need to take a few classes to make it to a clear credential.

I am just not sure this is what I want to do anymore. I think I initially loved the idea of teaching because I DO love children. I love being around them--not just my own, either! But as I said earlier, I as I have gotten older I have realized that I am a pretty shy, quiet person who doesn't like being the center of attention. I don't know why I didn't realize that would be what I would be signing up for when deciding to be a teacher--but I just didn't make the connection at the time.

I have a lot to think about. I was actually offered a job in Early Intervention (preschool) last month, but declined because it is working with kids that are mainly on the spectrum--and I have a child who has Aspergers. She requires a great deal of care and patience from me, and I felt like I might be stretching myself too thin to work with kids with special needs as well as deal with it at home. Part of me feels regretful from declining the job (especially because the director pressed very hard to hire me!), and hope I made the right choice.

I am just trying to wrap my brain around getting back into the working world again, and it is not easy. My husband has a very high powered career and is not home until 9:00 most nights (typical for Bay Area high tech industry) and also travels a great deal. I do virtually all the childcare and housecare, so I am not 100% confindent in my ability to do it all.

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate the links as well, Holland. I read the information you gave me and it was very helpful.

Take care,
Lisa
#8 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
This is one reason why I decided to get a Ph.D instead of a teaching credential. I have chronic health problems, and if I have to sit and speak quietly, college students might ignore you or websurf on their laptops, but they don't throw spitballs the way younger students do if you don't keep up the one-woman show.
#9 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I do virtually all the childcare and housecare, so I am not 100% confindent in my ability to do it all.
I am a solo mama, so I understand that fear. For me, it is all about balance and a good schedule. I think that is why teaching works so beautifully for me and ds.

Teaching actually allows me to be a VERY present mama with a lot more free time (and awesome vacation time) than most other working parents.
#10 of 10 Old 01-19-2009, 05:38 PM

I am an elementary teacher in Wisconsin, first grade(on maternity leave for two more weeks). I am also a very shy person and believe me am not the biggest fan of speaking in front of people. However, when it came to teaching being with children it is so much easier. If you are looking at elementary you come to know the children so well that it becomes very comfortable to be "on" when you need to be. You see the same children in your classroom day after day and you will get to know them very well almost like your own children. I think you will be surprise at the level of comfort this will bring to your shyness.

Subbing is a great way to get into teaching again. I agree with a previous person to look into some classroom management courses and/or something to refresh your memory. I wish you luck and hope you find something that is best for you. I agree that as a teacher I am working full time plus, but get so much time to be my children's mother and be very present in their lives.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page