Do you have a bilingual caregiver? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 01-19-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering how often your bilingual nanny speaks her native language with your DC? We are considering a woman who is a native Spanish speaker. She speaks English (I can communicate with her fully), but stumbles on some phrases/words and is obviously more comfortable in Spanish. I know some Spanish, can understand a lot more than I can speak and have Spanish ancestry so I am excited at the prospect of DD learning the language.

Should she start out as Spanish only? Start with primarily English and teach her words and songs in Spanish? Say something in English and repeat in Spanish initially until DD gets comfortable with her? DD hears it sometimes when I count, play CDs, etc. but doesn't sing along or repeat like she does in English.

The prospective nanny has experience with a 3 year old, but that is her and her parents' first language. Thanks for any thoughts on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-19-2009, 11:52 AM

I say start out in Spanish... so much communication at this age is nonverbal anyway, and she has some familiarity with it already. She's at an age where she can pick it up very quickly... DD was a few months older when she went from a Spanish-speaking household to an English-speaking daycare center and it didn't slow her down a lick!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 3 Old 01-19-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Great to know, thanks! I didn't think of children in your LOs situation and everyone says how quickly they learn English once they start daycare or school. I feel lucky to have found someone who is bilingual. I didn't expect it at all in the area that we live.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page