Confused by hr - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 03-12-2015, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Confused by hr

I'm in the process of job hunting. In response to one of the applications I put in, the hr person responded that they would pursue other candidates for the job but would like to suggest other positions. The other positions were for client companies but the application was on this company's website, and the hr person offered to find more positions.

I'm very confused. I want to believe this is on the level, but I'm skeptical and I know there are job searching scams. No one's asking for my information or money, though, so it's hard to see what they're getting out of it if it is a scam.

Had anyone had this happen? Am I being jerked around or is it just a fortunate turn of events?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-12-2015, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
It sounds like it is a personnel placement firm doing a bait and switch thing. They will get a commission on placing you elsewhere. They wanted to know your skill set, but many people don't want to go through an agency. It is a deceitful tactic. Be careful. They can be shady sometimes.
#3 of 9 Old 03-12-2015, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah that sounds possible. Hrm... if th e jobs are legit, I don't care how I get them (within legal/moral means). I tried a temp agency with out success. But if they're shady, they may work with shady companies.

I really wish people could just be on the level.

#4 of 9 Old 03-12-2015, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
In my experience, a lot of staffing agencies do this. And it's not that the jobs aren't legit, or that the companies they work with are shady. Sometimes the staffing agency is the only way to get in the door, especially with small to medium sized companies that don't have a ton of HR staff themselves.

One issue, though, is that sometimes staffing agencies will try to claim that a company is a "client", when, actually, they're reading the same want ads you are, submitting your resume, and then trying to collect a placement fee. Employers don't love that, and if an employer has a choice between a staffing agency candidate and a non-staffing agency candidate, they are likely to go for the candidate they don't have to pay a fee to hire.

I've gotten plenty of jobs through agencies, though, and sometimes there's no avoiding them, so:
1. Submit your resume, go in and talk to them, and be nice to their staff.
2. Call them every day or so and ask what's out there.
3. Be very clear about getting the name of every company they submit your resume to. Don't duplicate their efforts, because it muddies the issue of whether or not the agency is owed a fee, and that can kill a job offer.
4. Keep using your own networks and your own research to look for work.
5. Don't hesitate to speak to more than one agency, and be honest about that. You are happy to speak to anyone who might help you find a good job. You can't afford to limit your options in the market by being exclusive to one staffing agency, even if you had a way to tell agency ads from direct employer ads.
#5 of 9 Old 03-12-2015, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

He's not presenting himself as a staffing agency, though.
#6 of 9 Old 03-13-2015, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
What kind of work is this?

In my role as a hiring manager, if the applicant doesn't have just what I am looking for, I will often refer them to another part of our agency where I think they will be a better fit. To the applicant it might seem as though I'm sending them to another company but it is really only a different arm of the same company. I wonder if this could be happening.

Here from the very beginning of Mothering online forums. Proud to say gentle parenting works; the kids are grown or nearly so.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Agreement--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 of 9 Old 03-13-2015, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

I applied for a clerical job at a marketing firm. I do think it is a staffing company set up, the hr person mentioned that they help their client companies fill positions and I looked up the company on LinkedIn and found a lot of job listings like it.

I'm still a little nervous about it, it's not my only job searching focus of course, and it's not really a big issue until I actually get an offer anyways.

I've never had a company see my application and respond like that, so it's throwing me off.
#8 of 9 Old 07-14-2020, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
A well and well written resume is the basis for getting a job
#9 of 9 Old 07-14-2020, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I understand you because for two months I couldn't find a job because of the quarantine that closed my old place of work. That's why I had to search the Internet for remote work which is always enough there. As you know, there are many scams on the Internet, so I turned to friends who already had their own company and they asked me to send them a resume that I made from https://copymyresume.com/how-to/write-a-resume/. Thanks to a properly compiled CV I was able to find a good job where I still work and I am not going to leave

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page