Any single mom quit their job to go back to school? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 08-18-2018, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any single mom quit their job to go back to school?

I hate my job and having health related issues due to my job. Wondering if it is possible or any advice for going back to school. It’s been a long time, I’m 31 with a 24 month old. I’m also a single parent, not getting child support as of yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-19-2018, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Depending on what state you live in, there may be good financial aid for people in your situation. What type of schooling are you interested in? Or what career field? What do you enjoy?

Here from the very beginning of Mothering online forums. Proud to say gentle parenting works; the kids are grown or nearly so.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Agreement--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 9 Old 08-20-2018, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am in Toronto Ontario. Looking to get into social work

#4 of 9 Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I did. I was doing a job but at a certain point I realized that I cannot grow in the same position and I need a higher qualification. So i quite my job and enrolled for a Masters degree.
#5 of 9 Old 09-28-2018, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hate my job and having health related issues due to my job. Wondering if it is possible or any advice for going back to school. It’s been a long time, I’m 31 with a 24 month old. I’m also a single parent, not getting child support as of yet
Join the military. Any branch. Your GI Bill will be like a golden ticket when you get out and you'll have a stable career and tons of experience to set you up for success.
#6 of 9 Old 01-13-2019, 01:10 PM

going back to school

I am a 43-year old single mother who has returned to college. I started in 2016 and am still enrolled! My goal is to receive my Masters in Sociology. My advice about going back to school after so long would be to make sure and prepare a budget because with money only coming in once every term, it can get really tight towards the end of the term. Also, make sure you have a good daycare or someone that will help with your baby while you do homework. I take a few online courses and a class out at the campus and each credit class requires 2-3 hours of study time per credit, so if it's a 4 credit class, you'll need to plan for at least 12 hours of study time a week. I love being in school but it does require a lot of work and time management. I also don't receive child support, so I understand how scary it is to go back to school when you're the only one financially responsible for your children. I think an education helps people understand the world we live in and then we can help make changes to improve it. Good luck to you in whatever you decide!
#7 of 9 Old 03-24-2019, 05:44 PM

At 42, I went back to school to get a masters in Finance. Won't lie, it was hard balancing school, taking care of my son & doing a part-time job at the time. Graduated last year & can tell you it was all worth it.
#8 of 9 Old 04-13-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My advice is to get a full-time job at the university you're seeking your degree from because tuition remission for you and your dependents is a common benefit offered to university employees. You get the convenience of work and school being in the same place, a more family-friendly environment, health insurance, retirement account, discounts, a more stable work schedule (depending on the role and department) and of course a decent salary.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
#9 of 9 Old 10-21-2019, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I know this is older, but yes I did. I'm working on grad school now. Undergrad was the most difficult and I took out a lot of federal student loans. Now I have a stipend and more loans, but it gives me more time with the kids.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page