Cleaning Service? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 12-17-2005, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have a cleaning service....

I'm interviewing a cleaning service tomorrow to come in once a month and do some of the deep cleaning that we can't seem to get done ever since dh went back to work. I think since he started back in October we've only done most of these things once, if at all. My mom did the kitchen stuff when she was here for Thanksgiving.

Our house is small, about 900 sq ft, 2br, 1 bath. I want to have them clean the visible baseboards throughout, window sills, kitchen floor, cupboard faces, appliances, bathroom floors, vanity, toilet and shower/tub. My friend who recommended them pays $50 a month but she doesn't have them do as much as I plan to have done.

While I know prices will vary by location, I'd be interested to know what you pay for similar services.

I still can't believe I'm going to do this. I actually enjoy doing deep cleaning, more than the everyday stuff. I get a great deal of satisfaction out of it. But I just can't get it done anymore. We are both so busy all week and the weekends are either super crazy or we just don't have the energy to do anything extra around the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 12-18-2005, 04:47 AM
Banned

We're not doing it right now, but we used to pay $40 once every 3 weeks for a similar list. I thought it was a steal (4 years ago). And that reminds me my baseboards are *disgusting* . . .
#3 of 11 Old 12-18-2005, 05:31 AM

We have someone come in once a month for four hours for moderate cleaning (substantial cleaning of bathrooms, kitchen; dusting and vacuuming other rooms). She cleans about 1400 sq feet. We pay $100 ($25/hour) which seemed to be an average rate for a service; you may pay less for an independent contractor.

#4 of 11 Old 12-18-2005, 07:34 PM

We have both a larger house and a longer cleaning list. I pay a service $115 every other week for 2,000 sq. feet. For which they do a complete clean and sanatize in the bathrooms, vacuum all the carpet, mop the hardwood diningroom floor, hand-wash the kitchen floor plus clean the appliances, counters, sink, and cupboard faces, and dust all surfaces. I think they do baseboards on a rotaate basis (one area per visit). I like our service because they send a team of 4 people and it takes them about an hour, so even if I'm here I can stay out of their way.

When we finally started this last year, it was such a godsend. I love the days that I come home to a clean house and I just feel so much better about the house overall. It is worth every penny!

The only downside is that they can only clean what is "de-cluttered" so the night before "maid day" we have an all-family decluttering session to put everything away.
#5 of 11 Old 12-18-2005, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. He had to cancel today but is coming next Monday to give me the estimate. This is good info.

maria
#6 of 11 Old 12-19-2005, 04:08 PM

I pay $80 every other week to clean my house (~1100sq feet). She spends about 4 hours cleaning so I think her price is fair. It is totally worth it to have a nice clean home!

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#7 of 11 Old 12-19-2005, 06:57 PM

We pay $60 every other week for the same services.

My only worry about hiring a service was making sure that the person who comes into my home to clean is paid a living wage. Reading "Nickeled and Dimed: on not getting by in America" really opened my eyes to the plight of underpaid workers. The local company I found pays their workers 40-50% of the customers fees depending on how long they have been with the company.

Enjoy your service!!!
Suzy

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#8 of 11 Old 12-19-2005, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

I too have concerns about fair wages. We are interviewing a husband and wife self-owned business because of this. They come highly recommended by several folks. I don't know if they are bonded and insured but it is one of my requirements.
#9 of 11 Old 12-20-2005, 12:09 AM

Our cleaning lady is an independant lady that our friends recommended to us. I think they found her through a service which she then left b/c she was making very little $$. I specificially didn't want to use a huge cleaning service since I worry about what profits the actual cleaning lady makes. The woman we use is superb. She doesn't speak much English but I am very happy to see an immigrant working so hard for her living here and I think she really earns her $$.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#10 of 11 Old 12-20-2005, 01:09 PM

I'd like to hire one since DH does little deep cleaning but with our constant state of remodeling (which should go on for another say...5 years) it's pointless, we'll just live with the dirt. It's supposed to be good for developing protection against allergies right?
#11 of 11 Old 12-21-2005, 10:50 AM

I have done a once a month deal...our house is about 2150 sf. We paid $110 for the once monthly deep clean.

If I wanted it done more frequently, I think i was quoted $70 weekly, $65 bi-weekly.

I dont know why I stopped. It was such a huge help. That once a month deep clean carried me.

Let us know how it goes.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page