Working with Babe vs. getting a Babysitter - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 11-02-2006, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Mamas, I'm trying to make a decision here and any input is appreciated!!

My DD is now 3 1/2 months. I love her dearly, and cannot imagine not being around her 24/7. But, reality is, I need structure, I need a schedule, and some extra income won't hurt!! So first I was thinking, get a job I could take DD with me to. Like maybe tellemarketing at a call center. I could set up a Pack N' Play, and nurse and hold her all the time. But then I thought, I won't really be able to focus on her, I'll have a job to do! So here's my question:

Is it better for her to be with me but possibly just have half my attention, and it's not like I could really take out time to play peek a boo with her or anything like that, or is it better for me to go to work and focus there and just hire a babysitter? (A thouroughly researched AP approved babysitter, of course!)

Do any of you Mamas work with your Babies? How do you do it? Is it possible? Do you feel it's better than another caregiver? Any stories/examples of how it's worked for you/hasn't worked for you are welcome!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-02-2006, 05:33 PM

Hi! I actually work from home thanks to the computer and Internet. Of course, my husband and I thought I would be able to work during the day when DS was napping. However, it just didn't work out. Since we really need the money, DH took over baby care in the evenings and overnight at 3 months, so I could work in the evenings. Yes, I am really tired sometimes - taking care of the baby and house all day and working all evening and sometimes into the wee hours of the morning. BUT, I get to spend all day with my son. He's only going to be little for a short time and I want to enjoy every minute of him as he grows up.
#3 of 4 Old 11-02-2006, 07:51 PM

I also work from home, although I actually go into the office 2 days a week, and my 3 month old goes to day care on those days. It definitely has its pros and cons. At times I find it more stressful then its worth, but we need the income.

Good luck!

#4 of 4 Old 11-03-2006, 07:23 AM

I worked from home until DS2 was 7 mos. It was perfect in a lot of ways, but it was exhausting sometimes. I worked mainly at night after DS was about 4 months because it was just too hard to get anything done during the day. When he was a newborn, he slept so much that I got most of my stuff done during the day (there's only so much cleaning you can do when you're single in a 2 bedroom apartment, so that left a lot of time for work). The tricky part is finding work at home jobs that make good money. I was lucky in that the job I'd had for years was something I could telecommute for, but I don't know how easy it would have been to find if I hadn't had a history with the company.
When DS1 was little, I cleaned houses for a living and took him to work with me until he was 9 mos old. If I'd known about carriers back then, I probably could have taken him with me longer, but he was getting mobile and I didn't know what to do.

I would definitely try to find a wah situation. I think it's kind of "the best of both worlds" if you can find a good fit. As for whether I think it's better for your babe to have "half your attention" or be in daycare, that depends. With anything other than a nanny, your baby is going to have *part* of someone's attention. Depending on how much income you need, a wah pt situation could be exactly what you're looking for.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page