It was my first day back at work... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
after 2 years SAHM and it was so freakin easy. : Even getting up ridiculously early and sitting in traffic wasn't bad. I got dressed up and listened to books on CD in the car and drank my coffee while it was still hot. I was in training all day and ate lunch (while it was still hot) with grownups and chatted with everybody. I don't even know what I used to complain about. I have to admit after being home with a high-spirited baby/toddler for 2 years that working a job is easy! Not delightful and fascinating or anything mind you, but definitely much less strenuous.

DH is in crisis mode because he is watching our son this week. He went to his mom's today so she could watch DS. When I got home he told me he didn't think that my working was a good idea. I asked him why and he said "I can just see where this is going, now I'm going to have to work and then come home and do MORE STUFF and then watch Caleb on my DAYS OFF and everything." and he was serious! : Um, so let me get this, you're totally upset because I've found something that is making me happy and now you'll be expected to do almost a whopping 50% of the work involved in parenting and managing our home?

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-14-2008, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's great you had a good 1st day. I actually did the reverse a year ago. I quit my full-time job a year ago, and now I work from home--the transition was similarly easy. I think no matter what you were doing, it always feels good to change your routine--even the best things can become a grind when you do them day after day after day.
#3 of 7 Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 AM

I know your husband didn't mean to be funny, but you know, that kinda cracks me up. Uh, yeah, what does he think?

Congratulations! :

#4 of 7 Old 07-15-2008, 01:40 AM
srs

Congrats! I had a similar experience. At the end of my first day, I told my coworkers that there was absolutely nothing as hard at the job as taking care of my daughter. They didn't believe me.
And my DH had a bit of that panic too. It got better. I think it also helped him to realize what the last 13 months of my life had been like. And then he told me he felt sorry for me!

DD 04/07 DS 12/09
#5 of 7 Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
2nd day back and while decidedly more tired, still enjoying the break... Get home at 5:45. DH is looking worse for the wear and the moment I get home sprints off to paint the garage floor, something not needed or discussed but perhaps cathartic to him in some way. DS bear hugs me 6 times, then falls asleep nursing and I carry him up to bed at 6:30. Scarf crock pot meal that is thankfully ready for me (thanks mom) and sit down to write essay for school that is due by midnight then work on reading assignment for my training course tomorrow.

Resolving to try and not be so ridiculously chatty tomorrow, not to raise hand excitedly at every question the instructor asks, and not to ask a million questions and be that annoying person who makes the whole class late because they are bringing up theoretical debates...

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#6 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post

Resolving to try and not be so ridiculously chatty tomorrow, not to raise hand excitedly at every question the instructor asks, and not to ask a million questions and be that annoying person who makes the whole class late because they are bringing up theoretical debates...
That is so me

Glad you are enjoying being back at work!! YOu sound busy busy.
#7 of 7 Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM

I had the same experience after my way too short 12 week leave...it was so much less work actually going to the office than taking care of DS. When I'd say this to co-workers, those that have kids would nod knowingly and those without would gape in disbelief. As much as I totally miss DS during the day, I do enjoy a nice, uninterrupted lunch and a good book.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page