Mothering Mag - Rate the last issue, share your thoughts - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Please select the features and articles that you enjoyed.
Art of Mothering: Crying for Comfort: Distressed Babies Need to Be Held - Aletha Solter 47 100.00%
Health: ChickenPox Party: Developing Natural Varicella Immunity - Brian Wimer, Jacquelyn L. Emm, and Deren Bader 47 100.00%
A Child's World: A stitch in Kid Time: The Magic of Knitting - Marlissa S. Briggett 31 100.00%
Pregnancy, Birth & Midwifery: Mapping Maternal Instinct: Recognizing the Internal Shifts of New Motherhood 32 100.00%
Breastfeeding: Don't Trash Our Bodies!__ Researching Breastmilk Toxins - Christine Gross-Loh 51 100.00%
Breastfeeding: Breastfeeding, Biomonitoring, and the Media - Christine Gross-Loh 28 100.00%
Breastfeeding: To Breastfeed or Not to Breastfeed Is Not the Queston - Sandra Steingraber 39 100.00%
Ways of Learning: How Jerome Learned to Read:_ Fostering Children's Unique Intelligence - Dawna Markova 31 100.00%
Family Living: When a Relationship Ends: Resources for Healthy Divorce 14 93.33%
Editorial by Peggy O'Mara: A Quiet Place - Slow Lane 38 100.00%
Your Letters 42 100.00%
Bulletins 15 100.00%
Advertising: Home delivery 15 100.00%
Advertising: Family Marketplace 21 100.00%
Backstage 13 86.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 16 Old 01-07-2004, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Have you read the latest issue of Mothering? If so please share your thoughts on the content by selecting the features and articles that you enjoy. Those you find of no value or interest just leave unchecked. And of course share your thoughts and suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 02-27-2004, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Bumping up for attention.

#3 of 16 Old 02-27-2004, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The poll is closed, but I thought I would comment. The article on Jerome and reading, I loved and in fact shared it with my co-workers. The other article I liked was the one on divorce. Although I wish it had gone into greater depth. It would be another useful one for me for my profession. I liked other articles, but frankly since I can't see the titles now...I can't think of them....:

#4 of 16 Old 02-27-2004, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The poll is closed.
#5 of 16 Old 02-27-2004, 09:51 AM

The poll is now open again.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention, please place your votes and leave us your comments!
#6 of 16 Old 02-27-2004, 10:29 AM

I've been a subscriber for almost 10 years and devour it from cover to cover. I wish it was a monthly. Thanks for such an enlightening publication!

Kelly
#7 of 16 Old 02-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Banned

Please, please, please include articles about employed mamas who ap! (wohms who pump and still manage to exclusively breastfeed, wohms who co-sleep, etc.) Your mag is so full of sahm articles that I feel caught in la-la land---- I don't really fit Mothering, but I certainly don't fit the mainstream mags, either!

Also, could you persuade Dr. Fleiss to write for you more, please? (Or get someone else to write more intact-friendly articles.)

I love Peggy O's essays....I'd love to read essays from readers, as well.
#8 of 16 Old 02-27-2004, 12:27 PM

I always look forward to Peggy's essays. I love to flip to the back and see who the Living Treasure is. I love, love, love this magazine in general, but it gets better all the time. The cover this month was amazing, too. Thank you for Mothering!
#9 of 16 Old 02-27-2004, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by somemama
Please, please, please include articles about employed mamas who ap! (wohms who pump and still manage to exclusively breastfeed, wohms who co-sleep, etc.) Your mag is so full of sahm articles that I feel caught in la-la land---- I don't really fit Mothering, but I certainly don't fit the mainstream mags, either!

Also, could you persuade Dr. Fleiss to write for you more, please? (Or get someone else to write more intact-friendly articles.)

I love Peggy O's essays....I'd love to read essays from readers, as well.
I agree with this even though I am a WAHM.
My two friends both work and I did not buy them subscriptions because the tone seems to be all about SAHM and how that is best. One of my friends has a career she does not want to give up and works in medical research. She has been able to pump and found a really great supportive daycare that does AP with her baby.
My other friend has to work and is a teacher. She has exclusively breastfed her baby for six months, cosleeps, slings, all of that but she would be turned off that there would not be anything to support her efforts of working outside the home.
With both these friends it was hard to get them really good advice about pumping, keeping their milk supply up, etc.

Kim
#10 of 16 Old 02-28-2004, 12:31 AM

i would like to comment on the fact that our local store gets the magazines WEEKS before i (a subscriber) get it

kinda a bummer to walk in and see it but have to wait at least 10 - 14 days to actually get it

i'm not certain that the "convenience" of being a subscriber is a convenience
#11 of 16 Old 02-28-2004, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I also agree with this. I'm at work, and bf exclusively. Sling, cloth diaper, co-sleep. And I do sometimes get offended at the SAHM tone...also, more articles pertaining to SAHD's would be great!!!!

But, all in all, I love Mothering

#12 of 16 Old 02-28-2004, 01:13 AM
Banned

i really loved the knitting article. i enjoy peggy's essays, too.
#13 of 16 Old 02-28-2004, 01:40 AM

I think Peggy's articles are worth the entire subscription price alone.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#14 of 16 Old 02-28-2004, 02:10 AM

i *really* enjoyed Mapping Maternal Instinct. however, i was bothered by the fact the author seems to assume that all mothers have a full support network of friends and family who would be willing and able to just jump in and help with a new baby. maybe we're just in too small of a community but i have no friends locally who would be able to provide the sort of support the author describes as being necessary to the health of the mother. :: shrug :: also, at the end of the article, it seems to be implied that a mother cannot be "intricately tuned into" her baby if she's not staying at home full time and fully devoted to only her baby's needs... or that a mother cannot really be a good mother if she also considers her own interests alongside her baby's. (i'm not saying that's what the author is saying, i'm just noting that that's how i interpreted the article, and it bothered me.)

in the letters section, it *really* irritated me that readers would be upset by the aricle "Better than Ever" (about sex). sex is a part of motherhood, it's a natural part of being human, and women are inherently sexual and sensual beings.

while i normally enjoy Peggy's editorials, this latest issue's editorial kind of seemed... lame (for lack of a better word). we do try to lead a simpler life than our mainstream parenting counterparts, as a family, but it's difficult to be as laid-back as Peggy encourages when we really do have a lot of outside responsibilites that *need* to be taken care of.

this may sound silly, but i always like the advertisements in Mothering because they're so... pro-family/pro-mother... obviously, considering the magazine they're in, right? but it's so refreshing to see ads like these after being exposed to magazines like American Baby and Parents and Child for so many years.

finally, i *always* really enjoy reading the news and bullitens; there is always really useful info and news in there. love it.

... and...

Quote:
Please, please, please include articles about employed mamas who ap!
i am totally with you 100% somemama!! i'm a college student and although i agree with the attachment parenting movement and philosophy, it is disheartening to read the magazine and see so little support for people trying to raise their children well in our world while still trying to keep their *own* lives (and finances) in order or try to further their education.

i am really getting tired of the undertone that you cannot be a "good" mother if you still take time out to do stuff only for yourself, to be yourself, and not be around your kids 24/7/365. i'm of the belief that you can raise wonderful, securely attached, fully healthy kids even if you have work/school to attend to, and take time out every few months to party w/o the kids, do your nails, take a bath, dye your hair, whatever. (i.e., "be selfish".)

really what i'd like to see happen in our culture is a shift toward a more family-rich/ family-supportive environment... where babies are wlecome alongside their parents at work or in class, where all mamas are encouraged to breastfeed on demand, people don't just throw Rx's at a problem to treat the symptoms of a problem OR drug their kids up to make them more obedient, everyone practices nonviolent communication, and everyone cosleeps as much as possible... even while retaining their personal identity.

gosh... am i asking for too much? :LOL

*~* edited to add... *~*

i really liked the chickenpox article, once i got past the idea of teaching kids it's ok to pass around snacks and share spit ... although we did vaccinate our son against it, i think the idea of developing a natural immunity is a good one.

*but* i hate seeing kids sick. so the next baby we have will probably also be fully vaccinated... i do support vaxxing (although i understand the anti-vax position) and i think it's right for our family.
#15 of 16 Old 02-28-2004, 02:34 AM

In general, I loved the whole issue, but 2 articles stood out particularly....

the chicken pox article was WONDERFUL and I can't wait to take it in to my Ped,

and

the crying in arms article. I particularly loved this one because it is a wonderful article to share with those that support CIO. It's a way to show them that babies may cry, but need to be held while doing so!
#16 of 16 Old 02-28-2004, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by klothos
*but* i hate seeing kids sick. so the next baby we have will probably also be fully vaccinated...
i'm sorry... i know this isn't the place for this... BUT:

my kids are unvaccinated BECAUSE i don't want them to be sick! the only sick baby i had is the one who got his first DPT shot... he's the only one who got ear infections, not to mention damaged tooth enamel because of the high fever post-injection. that's when i started asking the questions i should have asked before i ever let anyone near him with a needle.

if you are truly serious about not wanting sick kids, i'd like to encourage you to really do your homework and discover how to best attain that goal.

now, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

katje the repentant hijacker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page