Tell me all about your house/apartment/trailer/tent/cabin/yurt - Mothering Forums

#1 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or whatever other dwelling you might live in.

Everything about it! Here are some questions:

What type of home do you have?
What color is the outside?
How many stories?
If multiple story, what's on each floor?
If in an apartment, what floor do you live on?
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back?
How many square feet do you have?
# and size of bedrooms?
# and size of baths?
What kind of flooring do you have?
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like?
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park?
Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for?
What do you like most about it?
What would you change?
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? )

and anything else you'd like to tell us about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

It's my thread, so I'll answer!

What type of home do you have? A single family house
What color is the outside?Blue with a bit of white trim
How many stories?2
If multiple story, what's on each floor? Downstairs is The living room, kitchen, 1/2 bath, dining room, den, and office. Upstairs has bathroom, 4 bed rooms, playroom, and master bath.
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? We have both front and back yards, as well as the driveway on the side of the house. It is fenced/walled all the way around. There is a high black iron fence in the front (no one can come up to the house itself from the street, they have to ring a doorbell on the gate), a high wall on both sides, and a lower wall with chainlink with privacy weave in back. Front yard has grass and lots of plants as well as a smallish patio area in front. The side and back are all paved with planters around the edges for trees, bushes, and flowers.
How many square feet do you have? I'm not sure exactly. The rental agent told me "about 2500," but she was converting from meters in her head, so I don't know how accurate it was.
# and size of bedrooms? 4 or 5 We have one very small bedroom, two medium size, and the master which is probably not any bigger than the two medium bedrooms. We also have a playroom, which used to be a bedroom before the two medium bedrooms were added on. It could still be used as one, but you have to walk through it to get to the two newer bedrooms.
# and size of baths? We have a half bath downstairs (and it's tiny with a slanted roof - under the stairs), a 3/4 bath (I guess that's what it's called? shower, toilet, sink, but no tub)that's sort of average sized, and a full master bath that's pretty large.
What kind of flooring do you have? Tile everywhere but the stairs and den, which both have carpet.
We have a service room with the washer and dryer, water heater, and pila (water pump to pump water from the cistern under the house in case of a water outage), and sink with a built in washbord. You have to exit the house to get to it, though, because at one time it was open to the air - just on the side of the house. When the additions were made, it was walled and ceilined so one of the new bedrooms could be built on top of it. It's a pretty good sized room, and we use the extra space for storage.
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? No garage - the iron fence we have opens at the driveway, and we pull in next to the house. We can fit 2-3 cars on the side of the house, and the kids play there when only one or no cars are parked there.
We don't have either, here.
What do you like most about it? I love the picture window out to the garden from the living room. I also like that we have the space to spread out.
What would you change? I wish the upstairs 3/4 bath also had a tub. There's room for one (shower stall is huge), but since I don't own, I won't put on in. I also wish we had a garage and that the laundry room was inside the house. Oh, and that our backyard was bigger and had unpaved areas.

Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? )
We have a weird cupboard in our kitchen that twists like a secrt passage underneath the stairs. DS calls it "the Harry Potter Cupboard" because he thinks it must be like the one Harry slept in at the Dursley's. We use it for storage, but the kids also like to play in there. There's also an outdoor "hallway" on one side of the house - there's a big iron security gate and a narrow passage between the house and the wall bordering the next property. The kids love to hide back there.
#3 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 PM

What type of home do you have? Condo
What color is the outside? beige-ish
How many stories? 28.
If multiple story, what's on each floor? First floor-entry, gym, hospitality room, mail, elevators, bike room
If in an apartment, what floor do you live on? 15th
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? Nope. But we live directly across from a brand new park which is also along the river.
How many square feet do you have? 1176
# and size of bedrooms? 2
# and size of baths? 2
What kind of flooring do you have? Hardwood in kitchen and halls, carpet in bedrooms and living room, and tile in the bathrooms.
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? They're in the unit, stacked on top of each other inside a closet.
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? Yep, we have one spot in the building garage.
Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? Nope
What do you like most about it? The neighborhood. It's pretty diverse and and there's always people out and about.
What would you change? The assessments. They're too high. I'd also add a pool.
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) Nothing unusual, really.

We're actually selling it right now, so we have a slideshow up.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...view=slideshow

#4 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 07:43 PM

What type of home do you have? Townhouse (rental)
What color is the outside? Brick
How many stories? 2
If multiple story, what's on each floor? 1st floor: living room, kitchen, dining, 1/2 bath 2nd floor: bedrooms, laundry, bathroom
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? A back patio area with some dirt areas for planting-fenced in (banana trees in the back)
How many square feet do you have? 1200ish
# and size of bedrooms? 2-pretty large, haven't measured, though
# and size of baths? 1.5- half is smallish, upstairs bath connects the 2 bedrooms, very large, jacuzzi tub and shower
What kind of flooring do you have? hardwood downstairs, carpet on stairs and upstairs, tile bathrooms
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? Not very large, more of a laundry closet than room . With shelves
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? No garage, parking in front of house
Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? Attic-storage for holiday decor, etc
What do you like most about it? The fireplace, the kitchen has lots of cabinet and counter space, in our bedroom there are his/hers walk-in closets
What would you change? The cable access is in the nook under the stairs (WTH?), I would love 2 separate air conditioning units for the different floors-it seems excessive, but it is super hot here all year
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) Not sure-but I think there's a cat spirit that lives here-it likes to mess with my dog.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#5 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 08:11 PM

Townhouse

Gray with a red door

How many stories?

first floor: living room, kitchen, bedroom, 1/2 bath
second floor: bedroom, bath, laundry room

We have a decent side yard. Fence along the neighboring property.

No idea. Very little.

Carpet and linoleum

Laundry room, but no washer and dryer yet

Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park?

No garage. I have 2 spaces right in front, but the unit next to me is empty right now so I have 4.

It's a nice little complex and management is good. I have just enough yard to have a little vegetable garden.

What would you change?

Lower rent? I really shouldn't complain. $495 for a 2 bedroom is good.

Is there anything unusual about it?

The upper bedroom is a loft and looks down on the living room. Kind of neat. We have a huge laundry room (could be a 3rd bedroom really). And we have wooden support beams in a few rooms. I'm going to put up a swing for DS this winter .
#6 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 08:16 PM

What type of home do you have? We rent a duplex
What color is the outside? Tan and brick
How many stories? Two stories
If multiple story, what's on each floor? Bottom has kitchen dining, living room, laundry room, and half bath. Upstairs has 3 bdrms. and 2 bathrooms along with a loft which we use for an office
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back?Yes we have a back yard. We don't have it fenced all the way in, but our neighbors have fences so we are fenced on three sides.
How many square feet do you have? A lot.
# and size of bedrooms? 3 bd. One master that is quite large, one medium room and a smaller room
# and size of baths?2.5 . Master bath just has a shower.
What kind of flooring do you have? carpet, tile in the kitchen and entry way
We have a laundry room that comes off the garage before you enter the kitchen. Its fairly simple. washer/dryer with some shelves we put up.
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? Yep, 2 car garage, and yes we park in it. I love it.
What do you like most about it? Location and size. We finally have storage!
What would you change? Bigger yard
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) I wish. I tell my husband all the time when we buy or build our house we are getting one with secret passageways or hidden spaces. I love it.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#7 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) I wish. I tell my husband all the time when we buy or build our house we are getting one with secret passageways or hidden spaces. I love it.

I know, right? All houses should have secret rooms and passageways!
#8 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud View Post

Nice!

This is mine from the outside http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...e799/017-1.jpg . It's alot bigger inside than it looks from the outside.
#9 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 08:54 PM

We are renovating our new house right and will be moving in in a month so I'll tell you about that b/c it's perfect for us!

single family home

white and stone

How many stories?

1st floor is the Walk-out basement w/1 bdrm, 2nd floor is the living area along with the master bdrm and bath, and the 3rd floor has 2 bedrooms and a full bath.

If in an apartment, what floor do you live on? n/a

Its on 9 wooded acres w/ a 3 acre lake. Currently there is a fence that runs the entire 9 acres but we plan to put up a small fence in the back for our 4 doggies so they can be safe and secure when we aren't outside with them.

# and size of bedrooms?
4 bdrms, the smallest is 15x15 & the largest is the master at 17x20.

# and size of baths?
2 full baths and a 1/2 bath. I don't know the dimetions but the master bath is HUGE! We plan to put a corner jacuzzi tub someday.

All hardwood (real hardwood, no laminate) We are tiling the kitchen and laundry room. The bathrooms are tile as well.

we own the house

it's just a basic 2.5 car, but we plan to build a 4-6 car garage in the next few years. I will park my truck in it along with my hubby's classic car

It has a full walkout basement and we have 3 attics. The basement will be used for storage and my dh's snake room for the time being. One day we hope to turn it into extra living space.

No neighbors! We are back a 1/2 mile off the road with a winding driveway lined with trees. You can't see our house from our road. Our nearest neighbor is at the end of the drive and there are only 3 houses on the road to begin with!

What would you change?
Since we are renovating it, we are changing a lot. Still in the works on that one but overall, we love it.

Not that we have found yet

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#10 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 PM

a single family modular

What color is the outside? White w/ brown trim

How many stories? One

We live in a trailer park so the yard is pretty small, but there are alot of kids here and they all run around in different yards.

# and size of bedrooms? There are 4 bedrooms, and they are decent size. Each of the kids have thrie own room which is SOO nice. The girs used to share a room and that was pure hell....

# and size of baths? There are 3 bathrooms. The girls share one, Collyn has his own attached to his bedroom and I have my own w/ a vanity room attached.

What kind of flooring do you have? Carpet in the bedrooms, living room and computer room, and nasty fake tile in the kitchen, laundry room and bathrooms.
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? Own washer/dryer

Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? We park at the side of our house in a driveway that we have to share with the neighbors behind us

Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? Nope. I wish that we did though

I like the size. It is just abut perfect for my family. It's so nice not to be attached to someone else in an apartment setting. My kids are way too loud!!

What would you change? The fact that it is in a trailer park. I try and be civil with my neighbors but many of them are troublemakers and like to cause drama so I tend to keep to myself. There are a few nice ones though and that does help. I also wish that we didnt have to hide our puppy. We have a 7 mo. old Chihuahua named Tucker but we aren't really supposed to have him. Most of the neighbors have seen him but they keep quiet because they don't want their drama aired...LOL!

Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) Not in this one, but in the apartment we used to live in there was a family of ghosts.....

Christina:~Student mama to Collyn(13), Haylea-Ann (9):, and Natalie (8) , and SO to Jeff.
#11 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 09:24 PM

Location: New England (but planning a move in the next year or two...)
What type of home do you have?we rent, so it's not really ours. it's a condo in rural maine- which makes no sense and we're moving next month
What color is the outside?salmon-ish
How many stories?3
If multiple story, what's on each floor?basement is my dh's workshop, middle is our living area and a bathroom and kitchen/dining room and upstairs is a tv/play room, ds's bedroom and our bedroom
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back?no yard, another reason wer're moving!
# and size of bedrooms?
# and size of baths?3
What kind of flooring do you have?hardwood, i don't do caqrpet- it's repulsive
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like?washer/dryer
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park?parking lot
What do you like most about it?it's right intown. 3 minutes from school and work and I'll miss that convienance
What would you change?
#12 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 PM

What type of home do you have? Single family dwelling
What color is the outside?tan with forest green trim on windows
How many stories?1 story ranch style--never thought I would live in a ranch style, but man, it is convenient

Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? Large yard, perennial gardens with walking paths and lots of trees. Small grass area with DS's play structure. Not fenced.
How many square feet do you have? 1560 main level, 1560 lower level (basement)
# and size of bedrooms? 3 legal bedrooms, 2 non legal (no egress in basement); large bedrooms
# and size of baths? 2 1/2 bathrooms, main bath is small, 1/2 bath is sink and toilet, lower level bath is large
What kind of flooring do you have? carpet, linoleum, engineered wood
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? main floor laundry very large with storage and deep freeze
Do you have a garage?Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? 2 car garage, park in it 90% of time
Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? Full basement with family room, 2 bedrooms, bath and storage
What do you like most about it? Layout is very nice. Lots of space and great for guests.
What would you change? Probably too big for our family and expensive to heat
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) Nothing

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#13 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 11:36 PM

What type of home do you have? 1950s Cape Cod

What color is the outside? Tan and Brown

How many stories? 1.5 stories

If multiple story, what's on each floor? main level: living room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, bathroom. 1/2 story: bedroom

Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? front and back yards, partially fenced, house sits on a hill overlooking the yard, and we live on a busy street.

How many square feet do you have? a little under 1000

# and size of bedrooms? 3 bedrooms all 13x13 or smaller

# and size of baths? 1 bathroom the size of a postage stamp

What kind of flooring do you have? hardwood in the living room and 2 bedrooms, vinyl tile in the kitchen, bathroom and upstairs bedroom

If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? w/d in the unfinished basement

Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? the garage was not usable when we moved in 3 years ago. A shifting slab caused the garage to lean and it was in really bad shape. We demolished the old garage in May and poured a new slab and dh JUST built a brand new garage. We aren't even done siding it yet nor have we run electricity for the door opener. We are very excited to park in it once it is finished!

Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? We have an unfinished basement where we store tools and misc., and a small crawl space upstairs where we store Xmas decorations and outgrown baby clothes.

What do you like most about it? The yard

What would you change? The layout, only one bathroom tucked between the two bedrooms makes it hard to entertain. Plus, our bedroom is right of the living room. Once me and the kids are in bed if dh is entertaining outdoors he has to put a "no bathroom" policy in place because people in and out make it impossible to sleep. My bedroom shares a wall with the toilet and sink and it is loud, loud, loud.

Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) We are on an electrical field and so our yard borders a field full of electrical towers. Lovely view!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#14 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 11:48 PM

What type of home do you have? A rented semi-detached (or, as dh calls it - "half a house" )

What color is the outside? Off-white (or ecru or eggshell ) vinyl siding with white trim and a blue porch

How many stories? 2

If multiple story, what's on each floor? 1st: front room, middle room, kitchen, back room 2nd: bedrooms, bathroom

Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? We share a backyard with the neighbors (in the "other half" - they rent from his mother). It's not fenced in and their hot tub takes up a good chunk, but it's still big enough for my washlines There is also a small front yard and strip of grass along the side of the house.

How many square feet do you have? More than I like to clean, but not enough for all of dh's *stuff*

# and size of bedrooms? 2 decent size bedrooms

# and size of baths? 1 ginormous bathroom, with a jacuzzi/soaker tub

What kind of flooring do you have? Carpeting and linoleum (oh, and a concrete floor in the back room)

If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? Our own washer and dryer in the back room

Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? No garage, but we have a driveway that runs the length of the property

Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? Both. The basement has a concrete pad that extends a few feet past the steps, but the rest of the floor is dirt - the oil tank & hot water heater are down there, but not much else. The attic is used for storage.

What do you like most about it? The location (around the corner from park, a few blocks from mil's, quaint little town, etc), and that there are about a million outlets throughout the house

What would you change? There is a lot of wasted space, esp in the bathroom and kitchen, there is almost no cabinet space in the kitchen , you have to walk thru the middle bedroom to get to the only bathroom, the airflow in the house is terrible... I could go on and on. *sigh* Ahhh, the pleasures of renting.

Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) Nothing that interesting, but a neat and convenient (albeit unintended, I'm sure) quirk is that because of the way the vents are set up, a person in the kitchen can carry on a conversation with someone in the bathroom (same thing with the middle room and the middle bedroom).

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#15 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 01:14 AM

What type of home do you have? military housing, we're in a 6-plex
What color is the outside? beige/tan/dirty, lol... it needs to be pressure washed
How many stories? 2
If multiple story, what's on each floor? down stairs is the living room/dining room combo, the kitchen, utility room, and a 1/2 bath, upstairs is 2 bedrooms and a full bath
If in an apartment, what floor do you live on? n/a
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? we have a small fenced back yard and a patch of grass in the front
How many square feet do you have? im not sure... somewhere between 1000 and 1200 i think. its a pretty good size
# and size of bedrooms? 2 decent sized bedrooms upstairs. theyre not huge by any means, but theyre not tiny either
# and size of baths? 1/2 bath downstairs and a standard tub/toilet/sink apartment sized bath upstairs
What kind of flooring do you have? icky carpet that needs to be replaced everywhere except the kitchen, laundry room, bathrooms and entry way where there is cheapy stick on tile
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? we have a really good sized utility room off of the kitchen with the washer, dryer, water heater and a/c. there is a row of 3ft longish shelves floor to ceiling, and there is room for 2 sets of rubbermaid shelves (3ish ft long, 4 shelves high), our upright freezer, 4 tall laundry baskets and one of these for diaper storage. we use it as our laundry room, pantry, and a place to store spill over kitchen stuff
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? we have a covered car port in front of the house with room for one car under it, and theres room in the driveway for another behind it. there is also a small storage room out there too.
Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? nope, not either one here
What do you like most about it? its free i like that the kitchen and ulility room are huge and that we have a little yard for ds. the pool and and a few parks are just a couple of blocks away
What would you change? living on post is annoying, it needs to be updated and the carpet is in desperate need of replacement
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) nothing fun like that here

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#16 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 01:25 AM

What type of home do you have? Two Family
What color is the outside? Brick
How many stories?2
If multiple story, what's on each floor? 1St fl Kitchen, livingroom, and diningroom. 2nd fl has 3 bedrooms and the bathroom
If in an apartment, what floor do you live on? it's a duplex so we get a whole side
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? We have a big back yard not fenced. There are woods in the back along with a river. on the other side of the river are the train tracks.
How many square feet do you have? I'm not too sure maybe 1200 sq ft
# and size of bedrooms?we have two small 9x9 bedrroms and one that is 9x15
# and size of baths? one bath that is 9x4
What kind of flooring do you have? well we have wall to wall carpeting in everything but the kitchen and bath. those have vinyl tiles on the floor dating back from the 90's.
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? We have our own washer and dryer in the cellar.
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? There is a parking lot in the back
Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? The basement we use for the washer and dryer and storage. We don't have an attic.
What do you like most about it? I love that DS can go outside and play.
What would you change? The bathroom doesn't have a tub(just a shower)
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) We have Bats. At night you can here them outside your window. The train is a commutor line so They run all day every 30 mins. and they start very early in the morning(4am).
#17 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 11:03 AM

It's a "traditional" house, I guess - part of a 20+ year old subdivision.

Gray, with white trim. We're going to paint the front door purple one of these days.
How many stories?

Three.

The bottom story is a walk-out basement - there's a guest room and bathroom, a playroom, and a couple of big storage areas. The door opens up to a small patio and the rest of the backyard.

Main floor (you open the front door into it) has dining room (which was dreadfully decorated when we bought the house, but now is quite pretty), living room (it's oddly shaped and we mostly use it to read in - the bookshelves and reading lamps and chairs are there), family room (couch is here, plus fireplace, more books, most of our artwork, and the sterio), and kitchen (pretty big, lots of storage, starting to look dated, needs to be painted - I'm thinking a nice gray.) There's also a small powder room and sliding glass doors out to the deck.)

Top floor is four bedrooms, two more bathrooms. Dh uses one as his office, and the kids each have one. My favorite feature: big tub in the master bath.

I love the yard. It's why we put the house on our list of potential houses (after one bad day of househunting, I sent dh back here with a list of great backyards and told him to pick a house attached to one of them.) There is a fence in the back, there are four beautiful mature birches, and we have lillies and iris and some trumpet vine and a ton of purple coneflower. We put in a veggie garden this spring. The kids have a play house and since the house is set into a hill there's some nice terracing. There's a lot I still want to do out there, but it's really a great place as is.

The front yard has another beautiful, big tree, and a small lilac, and a crabapple, and I'm working on the side garden at the edge of the front porch - it was pretty neglected when we moved in, all big shrubs and not much else. I've added hydrangias, butterfly bush, salvia, bee balm, various colors of daisy-things, coneflower... it's mostly pinks and purples, but there's some yellow tickseed and some orange flowers. Really pretty. We tore out some junipers recently and I'm hoping to tear out more in the spring. I do need to divide up a lot of hostas this fall.

Hardwood on the main floor, tile or carpet in the rest.

We had to put in a w/d because the former owners took theirs when they moved, so we've got a front-loading washer and a good but unfancy dryer.

Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? 3 car garage, two cars... so we have room for bikes, lawnmower, etc.

Basement is living space, two attics are storage space.

The yard, the kitchen...

What would you change?

The living room is wasted space. It's bigger than we need overall. I wish it had a slightly better layout on the main floor - I'd swap the living room for a larger and more visible dining room.

The closet in ds's room is so big it's a "secret clubhouse" for the kids, and he has a nice window seat. We've got odd nooks of storage all over the house.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#18 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Tudor

white stucco, brown trim, brick

How many stories?

downstairs-laundry, powder room, family room/bar, kitchen, breakfast nook, dining room, living room

upstairs-bedrooms, guest bath, master bath, plus the "hub"-500 sf of office space over the garage.

yes, we have a lot of mature trees and coverage (can't see house from street)-gated and fenced by wrought iron around whole property. Grass in front yard, backyard has a small amt, mostly pool and patio.

# and size of bedrooms?

4 bedrooms-master suite is large, other rooms largeish
# and size of baths? 2.5 baths in house, plus pool bath off pool

What kind of flooring do you have? wood, carpet, tile

laundry room is on garage-nicely sized with tons of cabinets, built in desk, scrub sink, etc.

yes-we park 2 cars in it, have a third slot that has the ping pong table

no basement, attic plus 2 spaces under eaves-I don't like it up there so they don't get used. Very hot too-so I hesitate to use it as storage.

location-we're right around the corner from our top school choice, size and layout are perfect for us, the pool, and it's beautiful and peaceful in the area

What would you change?

the house is dated (80s)and we're in the process of remodeling-"just" kitchen and baths. Aside from that I wouldn't change anything.

we lived here for a whole month before we realized there was a play fort on the property. We have to do a lot of clearing before we can use it though-we have a bobcat that lives in it.
#19 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

What type of home do you have? I have a condo!
What color is the outside?Brickish beige. Not pretty
How many stories?8.
If multiple story, what's on each floor?My condo is 1 floor.
If in an apartment, what floor do you live on?I live on the fourth.
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back?No, but I have a garden in the back.
How many square feet do you have?Over 900, I got a very good deal.
# and size of bedrooms?Don't know. Middle sized, I guess.1 bedroom.
# and size of baths?One tiny bathroom.
What kind of flooring do you have?Cheap carpeting, but I want to replace it someday.
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like?I live two minutes from my parents. I take it over there for free. LOL.
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park?I park on the street.
Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for?Basement, but I haven't used it. I need to, I have too much stuff.
What do you like most about it?I love the sunlight! Love it!
What would you change?The common charges, and the flooring.
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? )There is a warm, gentle aura there. Someone very nice must have lived there.

The walls are um, ah, pink!

Whew! That's about it!
#20 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 12:57 PM

Single Family

Red brick

How many stories?

1st floor - office, dining room, kitchen, breakfast nook, family room, full bathroom, extra bedroom (playroom)

2nd floor - master bedroom, master bathroom, 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths (one is Jack n Jill style between two of the bedrooms), laundry closet, walk in attic

We have a FANTASTIC fully fenced back yard. Nice front yard as well.

# and size of bedrooms? 5 bedrooms - 1 master, 1 largish, 3 normal sized

# and size of baths? 4 full baths, master has seperate shower, jetted tub and LARGE walk in closet.

What kind of flooring do you have? A mix of tile, carpet and hardwood - with plans to pull all the carpet on teh first floor and replace with hardwood.

The laundry room is more like a large closet in the main hallway upstairs. I like that it is where all the bedrooms are and I no longer have piles of laundry waiting to be folded on my couch (they are no on my bed, but guests don't see it LOL!)

We have a good sized 2 card attached garage. 1/2 is my husband gym area, the other half is crazy storage that we are working to sort out. I would like to part in there at some time, but for now we have a nice driveway that we park in.

No basement, but a GREAT walk in attic - just open a door and walk in! We store off season clothign, keepsake items, holiday decorations.

We finally have space, and I work from home so having my own home office is amazing. I love the floorplan and the yard is great too. Our neighboorhood is fantastic too!

What would you change?

I hate the carpeting, but other then that I have a whole design plan I would like to implement as I get more money - but nothing major, just personal things.

Nope, just your typical surburbian house : )

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#21 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 01:16 PM

What type of home do you have?single family house
What color is the outside?brown with black trim (well, it was supposed to be black, but it looks dark brown to me )
How many stories? 1

Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back?Fenced back yard. Too small for us, but enough for some trees, very small veggie garden and some grass. Front yard is good enough size, not fenced; just grass and a nice big tree that I love
How many square feet do you have?1275
# and size of bedrooms?3 bedrooms; don't know the size - big enough that the two kids can share a room
# and size of baths?nice-sized front bathroom and master bathroom
What kind of flooring do you have?laminate "hardwood" that I LOVE and carpet in the bedrooms. I would love to someday get rid of the carpet completely and make it all laminate
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like?Very small laundry room with just enough space for the washer and dryer. If you're coming in from the garage, it's the first room you walk into.
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park?yes a two-car, and we park our one car in it
Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? no, well we do have an "attic" but it's more like a super-hot crawl space that we don't use
What do you like most about it?the location: we're close to the grocery store, a fruit/veggie stand, Dh's work (he bikes there), and both of our parents'. The flooring is a close second.
What would you change?one more room would be lovely. And definitely a bigger backyard
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) no not really. It was built in '92 and it's a tract home so...

Wife to J. Mama to DD(9yo) & DS(6yo).
#22 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

trailer/mobile home
grey/blue and white
How many stories?
one
we have the largest lot in the park. we can fence it if we want but havent been able to afford it yet.
ummmm... it is a 16x70 ft.
# and size of bedrooms?
3 bedrooms. they are smallish but it keeps us simple.
# and size of baths?
one bathroom. pretty good size for a trailer.
the bedrooms have carpet. the bathroom and kitchen have linoleum. the living room and the hallway have fake wood floor.
my laundry area is at the back by the bedrooms. reg size washer dryer, and big cupboards above them.
no garage. we park on the drive in front of our place.
no, but i would love either if them. we do have a shed, pretty big, that we store stuff in.
it is mine and i own it outright. lot rent is cheap and the bills are very affordable for one income.
What would you change?
DH and I would love to get a real house someday
there might be a ghost or something here. DD said she seen it in our bed but she is 2 so i dont know. i thought i had seen it once too, but nothing ever bothers us so again i dont know. other than that it is a pretty straight forward trailer.

i love it b/c it is mine and cheap to take care of. which is great b/c i am disabled and DH is laid off. so we wont get evicted or anything. security and all that. i love my front deck. it has a roof over it and locking gates to keep the kids on it.

Me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,DH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,DS1'95-'15
, '98
,DSD'02
DSD'03
,DD1'07
, DD2'09
,DS2'12
 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.

)o( and sometimes I get to
if I am lucky.
#23 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 02:14 PM

What type of home do you have? One family home built in 1912
What color is the outside? Yellow
How many stories? 3 full stories, 4 if you count the basement
If multiple story, what's on each floor? Basement is storage and laundry room. Main is kitchen, dining, living room, bath. 2nd is bath, office, DDs room, master bedroom, 3rd is DSs bedroom, DD#1 bedroom and an attic room.
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? Fenced backyard, postage stamp sized.
How many square feet do you have? I know its over 2400sqft finished
# and size of bedrooms? 5 bedrooms, all are pretty big.
# and size of baths? 1 full bath, 2 - 1/2 baths. one of the 1/2 bath is turned off because its in the unused basement.
What kind of flooring do you have? Wood and carpet.
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? In basement
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? Garage is too small to realistically park in. We park on the street, no driveways here.
Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? Both and storage
What do you like most about it? The built ins, leaded glass artsy windows on cabinets, pocket doors etc.
What would you change? I'd love for it all to magically get redone, lol.
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) When we first looked at the house we were looking around the basement and saw light coming from behind a wall. We moved the wood paneling in front of it and found another room. Not so much a "secret" room but the Realtor hadn't seen it and it was for sale for 3 years, lol. Its also haunted with a residual haunt. They walk the stairs and talk and sometimes a man stands in the hallway.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#24 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=eclipse;14103315]Or whatever other dwelling you might live in.

We have a little condo

It's tan/red brick and the upper part has beige siding

How many stories?

one story

we have a little backyard with a concrete patio, a little stone area for the grill and the other half...i want to turn it into a raised garden bed.

1k sq ft

# and size of bedrooms?

2 bedrooms, 20x15, 14x12

# and size of baths?
one bathroom, spacious but just the regular toilet, tub, vanity in a line

carpeting, hardwood in the kitchen, tile in the bathroom, laminate in the foyer

we have a laundry room

no garage. we have assigned parking

: we are still in our housemoon lol. i love the location, i love the city, i love the way it is angled out of the sun, i love the parks and trails nearby (three parks in walking distance) i love how private it is, i love that we have a private laundry room.

What would you change?
the entire place was painted offwhite with brown trim. we are in the process of painting every room.

here's our photo album

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=bac9ad5641

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#25 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 02:49 PM

What type of home do you have? we just moved into an apartment from a rental house--cheaper
What color is the outside? brownish--apartment colored, lol
How many stories? two
If multiple story, what's on each floor? 4 families on each story
If in an apartment, what floor do you live on? we live on the bottom--thank all that is holy. i've lived in upstairs apts before and it was misery
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? no, sadly. i do have a teeny porch, on which we have some potted herbs
How many square feet do you have?1200. tiny for us.
# and size of bedrooms? 3
# and size of baths? 2
What kind of flooring do you have? kindy icky vinyl in the kitchen and bathroom, decent brown carpet elsewhere. we also have a HUGE area rug in the lvr that is black w/tan and sage rectangles....hard to explain, but it's cool
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? just a "closet" thing in the kitchen--our front loaders barely fit in there, and we haev to keep the diaper pail on top of the washer, heh. but we could. not. deal. without in-home washing facilities!
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? no garage, but even when we did, we didn't park in it. we park outside, which would be fine if it was covered : it's way too hot to have your non-tinted car parked in direct sun. i have to run the a/c for a few minutes w/the windows open before the air inside doens't hurt to breathe it
Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? nope. hard to dig a basement in texas--lol
What do you like most about it?it's cheap, and it's a decent place. we are trying to save to buy land someday soon and build our own place
What would you change? well...lots of things--but it's about the best temp. living arrangement we could hope for at the moment
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) nothing really exciting

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#26 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 06:56 PM

OOH! I love talking about my house!

What type of home do you have? 1720 2.5 story colonial
What color is the outside? Farmhouse ochre (orange) on the front and cedar shingles on the sides and back
How many stories? 2 and a big attic
If multiple story, what's on each floor? 1st: kitchen, dining room, living room, 1/2 bath, pantry. 2nd: 3 bedrooms, bathroom. attic: space for drums/guitar/keyboard/violin playing, space for office work, space for sewing, an extra guest bed, and extra toys and storage.
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? 80 acres, with about 3 acres cleared in the middle for the house, gardens, chickens, etc.
How many square feet do you have? I'm not sure... 2500 maybe?
# and size of bedrooms? mine: 15x30, guest: 15x15, dd's: 15x12
# and size of baths? full upstairs: 12x15, 1/2 downstairs: teeny tiny
What kind of flooring do you have? wide pine
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? washer/dryer in basement
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? park in big driveway
Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? Already talked about attic, basement is unfinished and for storage, including veggies and firewood.
What do you like most about it? Everything.
What would you change? Having windows that came with someone who loved reglazing and painting them.
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) It was built in 1720 in MA and we had it disassembled and moved it to ME. DH and I rebuilt it mostly ourselves. We hired help for a few things, but he did most of the carpentry and I did the wiring. Since we did most of the work ourselves, the amount of cash that went into it is WAY less than it is worth, so we have a really manageable mortgage, especially after refinancing recently. Before dd was born, this house was my baby. It is really special.
#27 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 PM

What type of home do you have? Well, technically, it is a condo.. but it is built like a duplex with one other condo on the right.. so two condos side by side.. from the street they look like townhouses or possibly a duplex..

What color is the outside? depends on the wall. Most of the building is gray, one wall is brick red, garage doors are white.

How many stories? 3

The first floor has a double car garage, kitchen, living room, closet, and half bath.
The second floor has 5 bedrooms, 1 full bath, one 3/4 bath, w/d and my walk in closet
The third floor is a deck really, but it is our roof. It is fully fenced and has pavers on it

Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? We have "grounds" that are fenced. We have a large courtyard for the kids ot play in front of the houses. It is almost fully enclosed. The back is fully fenced around the sides. There is a small lot back there, but no "yard" as of yet, but there are trees. The sides are fully landscaped the trees and small plants.

How many square feet do you have? 2100 I think

# and size of bedrooms? 5 bedrooms- but they are all on the small side

# and size of baths?3- 1/2, full, and 3/4

What kind of flooring do you have? 2nd floor is all carpet (except for the bathrooms), first floor is linoleum, third floor is concrete paver

If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? closet type

Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? yes, we park in it

Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? there is a storage unit in the back, there is also a lot of storage under the stairs.. there is a crawlspace, but I don't use that at all yet

What do you like most about it? I LOVE that it is incredibly affordable. I love that we are located so close to a huge library, bookstore, coffee shops, grocery stores, organic juice bar, comic book shop- really an eclectic neighborhood..

What would you change? I think the kitchen has too few cabinets.. I would love to add a built in pantry on one wall.. I think the lighting in the kitchen is strange looking- it PROVIDES plenty of light- but they don't really match the rest of the house.. I think my living room windows are too small... I also don't think my 3/4 bath is very roomy.. I LOVE stairs with large banisters, but our stairway is pretty tiny, and I have thought it actually is pretty much a vertical rectangular which SHOULD accomodate an elevator pretty well.. when I get old, if we still have kept this house, I will probably get one.. there are no outdoor stairs, so I think making this house fully handicap accessible would cost some money, but wouldn't actually be that difficult.. my mother recently had to adjust some things in her small ranch house, so I have been thinking about this in case I ever need it.

Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) We built our house with Habitat for Humanity, so we did a lot of the labor ourselves.. I raised my living room wall. I built the structure that my foundation was poured into..

and anything else you'd like to tell us about it! We have the first snow melting driveway of its kind. Our driveway is built from concrete that is permeable, so water drains THROUGH it rather than having run off.. part of it is made of pavers as well. So snow falls, my driveway melts it and it returns to nature the way it was intended.. LOVE IT!

oh, yeah, and I have a view to die for.. Mountains and trees.. I sit on my deck and sip my coffee and enjoy the mountain air.. nothing like it.
#28 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 PM

What type of home do you have? single family ranch

What color is the outside? yellow with white shutters

How many stories? 1

Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? s small one, with a hill in the middle It's not fenced, but after they finish road construction in our backyard we're hoping to do that

How many square feet do you have? 1650, i think

# and size of bedrooms? 3 bedrooms, I think the 2 smaller ones are 10*10 or 11 and the master is 13*12 maybe?

# and size of baths? 2.5 baths, they're just average bathroom size

What kind of flooring do you have? carpet everywhere except the kitchen and bathrooms and I hate it

If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? washer and dryer in teh unfinished utility room

Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? yup, 2 car attached. DH always parks in it and I do in the winter and when it rains

Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? finished basement which is our family/TV/computer room and a half bath is down there

What do you like most about it? dark wood cabinets in the kitchen

What would you change? I'd tear out the carpet and either make the bedrooms bigger or add one.

Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) our sump pump is in a carpet closet instead of the utility room which I think is weird

obstruct livery vehicles

#29 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 09:02 PM

What type of home do you have? 3 bedroom, 1 bath bungalow style
What color is the outside? White
How many stories? Two, our office is on the 2nd story
If multiple story, what's on each floor? Like I said, office on 2nd, and 2 bedrooms, the bathroom, kitchen, and living room are downstairs.
If in an apartment, what floor do you live on? N/A
Do you have a yard? What's it like? Is it fenced? Front and back? Front yard is mostly weeds and ground coverings (there's not much of a yard, it's pretty much just whatever grows and sometimes the landlords come and chop it all down), back yard is mostly a covered carport with a fence around it, NOT ideal.
How many square feet do you have? I'm not entirely sure, but I'd say around 1100-1200.
# and size of bedrooms? 3, the downstairs two are pretty small, the one upstairs is a little bigger.
# and size of baths? 1, very small. The cat box can't even be in there anymore, because it doesn't have much space.
What kind of flooring do you have? Hardwood, I HATE it.
If you have laundry facilities, what are they like? Washer and drier, in a small room off the kitchen.
Do you have a garage? Do you actually park in it? If not or no garage, where do you park? No garage, S/O parks in the carport in the back, I park in front of the house or on the side (on the street).
Do you have a basement and/or attic? What do you use them for? Neither
What do you like most about it? It's cute, and cozy and has a cute style.
What would you change? Almost everything, because despite the fact that it's cute, it's a POS. Haha. We're currently looking for a very different type of house.
Is there anything unusual about it? (Secret passage ways? Hidden rooms? Spirits of the dead? ) Nothing that I've noticed. There was a very strange red mold that appeared last winter, but it went away with the warmer weather.

Single mama to an only born November 2012.
Co-sleeping, vaxing, baby-wearing, sometimes cloth diapering, car seat safety advocate. Still nursing with no end in sight
#30 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananas View Post
[B]
What kind of flooring do you have? Hardwood, I HATE it.
What don't you like about the hardwood? What would you have preferred? I grew up with hardwood, and would have loved it in our new house, but carpet and linoleum were our only choices.. so I will deal with them until they need replacing.. in our case I am pretty glad no one else was walking on our carpets in their bare feet before we got here, but I still would preferred something that I can SEE is clean.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page