Ever done a big $$$ craigslist sale? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking at selling a LARGE toolbox. Its the giant kind with a workstation and wheels and junk like you see at an automotive place. The original price was somewhere above 10 grand and I could probably get at least 4K for it. I'm thinking of listing it on Craigslist but I have some reservations. So for those who have sold something very expensive like that...

Obv. I want to make sure that any payment I get is legit. What did you do? Cash only? I'm not above getting one of those counterfeit pens. Cashier's check/ Money order?

I guess that is my only concern, making sure i don't get ripped off. Suggestions?

Writer, teacher, and mama to Rhiannon Morningstar 6/28/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 12:24 AM

I bought a car and paid cash. Does that count? I would only take cash if I were selling something.
#3 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

yes i would say that a car definitely counts!

and the thought of laying all the cash down and rolling in it is fairly satisfying. though, unless they brought bigger bills [ i would hope so] it would be a hassle to go through and check all those bills!

Writer, teacher, and mama to Rhiannon Morningstar 6/28/05

#4 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 12:45 AM

insist on cash & buyer picks up locally (no shipping). For that amount of $ I'd meet in a public place (parking lot) rather than give my home address.

Think about it this way...for someone to do a money order or cashier's check they'd have to have the cash available so it's not like you're asking them to scrounge up the money, they should already have it.

Good luck & hope you sell it quickly!

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#5 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 12:50 AM

Dh sold his car through Craigslist and he got paid in cash. The ideal thing would do is to meet up the the buyer/seller at a bank, watch them withdraw the money from the teller, and then to give it to you right then and there.

Dh said that the guy who bought his car seemed like a straight up kind of guy and so he decided to forgo that procedure and just had him pay us in cash on our driveway.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#6 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 12:55 AM

We've sold two cars on CL for cash, and before that, in my early twenties, I sold lots of horses for various amounts of cash through the traditional want ads. I never worried about my safety, and I did count the bills very carefully, as would they.

Mommy to kids

#7 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd go for cash only, even if that means it takes longer to sell.
If someone does not have the cash but is really motivated and wants it they can secure a personal loan from their bank or credit union. And if someine is INSISTING on paying with a check I'd wonder why they can't get to the bank and withdraw the cash that they should already have in their account.
#8 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've bought a dining room set-- roughly 1000 dollars. All cash.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#9 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 02:24 PM

Yeah, I would do cash only. If they're worried about carrying around that kind of money, you could offer to meet them at their bank with the product. Of course, that means YOU'D have to carry around that kind of money, unless you use the same bank and you can immediately deposit it.
#10 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 02:59 PM

I would ask for cash or a certified check drawn on a local bank. A certified check costs about $25-35 where I live though the banks generally do not charge regular customers for them so a certified check may cost the borrower nothing at all.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#11 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 03:39 PM

I have both bought and sold cars on CL. The last car we sold was only $400, but it was a car. The last one I bought was $2k.

I do cash only for ALL CL transactions, regardless of the cost. Both when I buy and sell. I haven't ever been concerned about counterfiet bills. I have been more concerned about the quality of the vehicle I was buying...it's very easy to lie about a lemon, yk? But, so far everything has been good.

Now, when we bought our van...I did end up doing a partial check. The reason was that we went on a Sunday, and I forgot to get cash out of the bank on Saturday. So, we didn't have all of the cash on us. I was only able to get $500 out of the ATM, and DH another $500, and we were paying $2k, so the other $1000, we wrote a check. He cashed the check the next day, and held the title until it cleared. We picked everything up Monday evening.

For the most part, most folks buying and selling locally on CL are just neighbors getting rid of the stuff they can't/don't/won't use anymore. Sure, there are plenty of scams, but ultimately, no more than anywhere else. It's just as easy to do a scam through the newspaper/penny ads/etc. The big flags for scams are the non local transactions and the responses that seem to indicate that english is not the first language of the person sending it. That's not a dig against those who don't speak english, it's just a common red flag for a scam. The other things are the personal ads and such. Most of the stuff listed for sale are going to be fine, where you get into unsafe situations are the personal ads.
#12 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 04:14 PM

We bought a car on CL, as well as a double bob stroller (pricier than the $400 car a pp mentioned!). We paid cash for both.
#13 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 PM

Always cash.
I've bought and sold several horses through classified ads, as well as a few vehicles, a horse trailer etc. and always always pay and receive cash.

The one and only time the seller didn't count out the cash in front of me, they sent an e-mail the following day and said I was short by $150. Coincidentally enough I had dickered them down $150...and they lived 6 hours away. I sent a paypal payment but to this day I am sure they hosed me. So buying and selling, regardless of the amount, I always either count it or have them count it in front of me.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#14 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM

We sold a car. Cash only, and I have worked retail and know how to check the bills are real. If you don't know how, look it up first. You don't need a special pen, at least for Canadian money.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#15 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 PM

How do you do with Canadian money?

We had a garage sale this weekend and lots of people handed over $20's and even one $50. I always just checked to make sure the metalic strip was there. I know there's an embedded strip as well but I didn't want to take the extra time to check every single bill as there were a TON of people walking around.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#16 of 21 Old 08-31-2010, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
Dh sold his car through Craigslist and he got paid in cash. The ideal thing would do is to meet up the the buyer/seller at a bank, watch them withdraw the money from the teller, and then to give it to you right then and there.
this is what i was going to suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
The one and only time the seller didn't count out the cash in front of me, they sent an e-mail the following day and said I was short by $150. Coincidentally enough I had dickered them down $150...and they lived 6 hours away. I sent a paypal payment but to this day I am sure they hosed me. So buying and selling, regardless of the amount, I always either count it or have them count it in front of me.
you're a nicer person than i am, bc i would NOT have sent money after bargaining them down

Bring back the old MDC
#17 of 21 Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 AM

I listed my car last summer for kicks and giggles to see if i got any bites before I paid lots of $$ to list on Auto Trader. Anyway, I sold it within a few days. Having worked at a bank, I was HIGHLY cautious - I don't trust anybody. I was only willing to take cash or a CASHIERS CHECK that I could call to verify funds on. This caused my buyer a bit of a hassle because she wanted to pay with a personal check (insurance money from her totaled car) and her bank wouldn't verify it for me on the phone for some odd reason. I wasn't giving her that car/title without verification of the valid cashier's check or cash, and evidently she wanted the car bad enough to comply.
#18 of 21 Old 09-01-2010, 12:27 AM

I meant to add that when you get a cashier's check, you can call the bank it is drawn off and call to verify that it is a legit check they issued. They will ask for the check number, amount, date, and verify the appearance of the check (and a few other things) to make sure it is truly legit.
#19 of 21 Old 09-01-2010, 06:35 PM

We bought a 1600$ car off craigslist for cash- I'm not sure they checked the money or not.
I think the problem with taking them to the cash machine to withdraw funds, is that they may be scared that you will rob them. (of course you're not planning to, but they don't know you either yk)
If you are worried about cash i would do what pp have recommend and that is accept a cashier's check, and call and verify before handing over the toolbox.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#20 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I've sold cars to random strangers using ads online. Cash or cashiers check is best, make yourself a bill of sale agreement for taxes or whatever, take a picture of the person with the item.
I never had problems.
#21 of 21 Old 09-02-2010, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've bought a spinning wheel, a drum carder, and sold a bugaboo stroller. All those transactions were several hundred dollars and we did cash only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mom of four with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on the way

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page