I need a lesson about how Craigslist works. I posted something for free and think it might have been a BIG mistake. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can someone educate me about how Craisglist works?

I am trying to declutter and have a number of items that are "just too good to throw away."  (I know, I know....)

So I posted under the free section "batch of xyz household items, free for the taking, you pick up" and almost immediately, emails started pouring in.

I told the first person yes, they could have them. 

Now what do I do?  Do I delete my post?  When I tried that, I got a message that if I took the listing down now it would be reported as spam or something to that effect.

Do I edit the post and say someone claimed it but didn't pick up yet? 

And, BTW, holy cow!  Who are these people so anxious to pick up my used stuff?  I am afraid I openned the door to a bunch of wackos desperate for tea towels.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would edit your post to say TAKEN or something and then delete it after the time limit (I never had this happen, I could always delete my posts so I'm not sure why you're getting that message, maybe just trying to delete too soon...)

Also keep in mind that (at least in my experience) more than half of the responders won't show up -- so it's good to have at least a few back-ups... for that reason, I usually keep my post up until the items are actually picked up. I'm picky about who I give things to (because of the no-show issue) so I like having a lot of responses to choose the 'most likely to pick up' from.

You might also consider setting up a separate email account just for craigslist (and freecycle etc.) if you plan on posting regularly -- that's what I do just to avoid my main email being inundated...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.  A seperate email account sounds like a good idea.

I did respond to everyone to say I would keep their email in case the first was a no show.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have

#4 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 AM

I've seen people post "curb alerts" where they just put the stuff out on  the curb, and then they don't have to deal with emails/making pick up arrangements/no-shows.

#5 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post

I've seen people post "curb alerts" where they just put the stuff out on  the curb, and then they don't have to deal with emails/making pick up arrangements/no-shows.

that's what i do!  curb alert with my address and a brief description of what's out there, delete when it's gone.

even when i sell stuff, i don't make time arrangements.  i tell the person it's on the porch, leave the money in the mailbox.  we may or may not be home when they decide to pick up, and if we are, i go say hello.  this is for stuff that's like, $20.  for more like $100 i would definitely want to get the money from them.  if it were somewhere in between, like $50, meh.  depends on how badly i need the money, but i've never had someone not pay. 

#6 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM

I posted on a similar kind of site here and I posted a free for pick up 25 year old washer/dryer.  They were definitely near the end of their lifespan but it totally freaked me out when I got about 7 replies in 30 minutes.  I quickly deleted the ad and waited for the first person to show up.  It really did feel like I was being swarmed.  People saying "call my cell phone asap, call my land line, etc...).  I think sometimes people just see FREE and will take anything.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#7 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Marmalade View Post

I posted on a similar kind of site here and I posted a free for pick up 25 year old washer/dryer.  They were definitely near the end of their lifespan but it totally freaked me out when I got about 7 replies in 30 minutes.  I quickly deleted the ad and waited for the first person to show up.  It really did feel like I was being swarmed.  People saying "call my cell phone asap, call my land line, etc...).  I think sometimes people just see FREE and will take anything.

when i've posted things for sale, if people are demanding, i tell them it's no longer available.  i don't necessarily go with the very first person to reply, but with the first person who nicely asks if it's still available, and if so, when can they pick up. 

in the case of the old washer and dryer, they are probably turning that in for scrap metal. 

#8 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

Thanks for the info.  A seperate email account sounds like a good idea.

I did respond to everyone to say I would keep their email in case the first was a no show.

I don't think everyone expects a response so don't drive yourself crazy -- I used to try to respond to each person but it got out of control & I realized no one else does that. Now I just respond to whoever it's going to (occasionally I'll let someone know they are 'next in line in case of a no-show' or something).
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post

that's what i do!  curb alert with my address and a brief description of what's out there, delete when it's gone.

even when i sell stuff, i don't make time arrangements.  i tell the person it's on the porch, leave the money in the mailbox.  we may or may not be home when they decide to pick up, and if we are, i go say hello.  this is for stuff that's like, $20.  for more like $100 i would definitely want to get the money from them.  if it were somewhere in between, like $50, meh.  depends on how badly i need the money, but i've never had someone not pay. 

Yes, that too. It depends on the weather and the value (and size!) of the item, but I do often just leave things on the front steps and if I have a ton of stuff & the weather will be nice for a few days, I drag it all out to the curb with a sign that says "FREE" and then post "curb alerts" on craigslist & freecycle.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#9 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM

I never put my phone number. I'll say in the ad, "please include your phone number, so that I can call to arrange with you to look at the item." I only respond to the first reply, and if I can't reach them, I wait an hour and then move on. I only delete the ad once the item is gone, but do it promptly smile.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#10 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 03:51 PM

Also be careful when leaving something out for people to pick up on their own. Be sure it is well away from anything you do not want taken by accident (or worse). I've seen follow up CL posts where people said "Ooops I didn't mean to leave that bag of clothes next to that box of books I was saving. Can you return my books?!?"

That would suck.

Rhianna

#11 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Marmalade View Post

If you have no money to buy one, and don't have one that works, a free washer or dryer is a serious bonanza. DH and I got our washer and dryer, used, for $200, with no idea how long they'd last, and we were incredibly grateful for the deal. (We've been especially lucky, as they've lasted over five years, and are still going strong, but we didn't know that when we bought them.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#12 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post

I do this all the time. Works like a charm. I don't have to sit around waiting for people to show. However, don't expect that if you include the statement "do not email me asking me to hold these items for you" in your post that people will refrain from sending you emails asking you to hold the item(s) for them. lol.gif

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

#13 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

I put pending pick up when I edit the posting. If that person does not come I might go to the next on the list or just put it to the curb. If it is small items I take it to the local thrift instead. I got tired of no shows and weirdos so unless it is huge I take it to thrift. Sometimes I put good stuff to the curb a day or 2 before garbage pick up.

#14 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post

I put pending pick up when I edit the posting. If that person does not come I might go to the next on the list or just put it to the curb. If it is small items I take it to the local thrift instead. I got tired of no shows and weirdos so unless it is huge I take it to thrift. Sometimes I put good stuff to the curb a day or 2 before garbage pick up.

I know, right? When I have to sell something on Craigslist, I prepare for the event like some folks prepare to run a marathon--plenty of sleep, good nutrition, and discipline. Making arrangements with potential buyers is exhausting.

Something else I do with my "free on curb" posts is I state that as soon as the item is gone, I'll take down the post. It cuts down on a few of the emails I get asking if the item is still there.

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

#15 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caneel View Post 

And, BTW, holy cow!  Who are these people so anxious to pick up my used stuff?  I am afraid I openned the door to a bunch of wackos desperate for tea towels.

I regularly freecycle, and when I offer something the response is overwhelming, even for small items. I want to believe people have a genuine need for things (and I'm sure many do). However, there's a small, extremely cynical part of me that wonders if people are just reselling free items. 

autismribbon.gif

#16 of 16 Old 03-25-2011, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

Also be careful when leaving something out for people to pick up on their own. Be sure it is well away from anything you do not want taken by accident (or worse). I've seen follow up CL posts where people said "Ooops I didn't mean to leave that bag of clothes next to that box of books I was saving. Can you return my books?!?"

That would suck.

Rhianna

This happened to me.  I left a bag of cloth diapers out front for a person on freecycle.  Some shoes i had ordered happened to show up the same day.  The lady who wanted the cloth diapers sent her husband and he took my shoe order!  They brought them back the next day but i was worried.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page