How sweet is your sweet tooth? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How often do you eat sweets?
Every day 53 67.95%
A couple of times per week 19 24.36%
Once a week 3 3.85%
A couple of times per month 2 2.56%
Once a month 1 1.28%
A couple of times a year 0 0%
Never 0 0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if it's just me. I have to have something sweet every day. Sweet coffee, sweet tea, chocolate (a big must) and really anything sweet (not hard candies or anything like that though). I don't let my kids eat sweets (unless we bake something together from scratch) so I feel like such a hypocrite. I usually have something sweet after they go to bed. It has just become my time to relax and unwind from taking care of them all day and eat something sweet (oh and come here too ). So, I just wanted to see if I'm the only one with such a sweet tooth. (Maybe if I'm the only one I'll be inspired to cut back. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 02:01 AM

I have a super sweet tooth. I've passed it on to dd, too. I let her have two juice popsicles tonight! I like sugary cereal, and I even like my foods sweet. My favorite dishes are sweet and sour seitan, and various other super sweet foods. It's out of control. I am a sugar addict!
#3 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 09:31 AM

Where's the end of the hypocrite line?

That said, I try to be careful about what comes in the house, but if it's here, I will eat it. The kids have juice popscicles after dinner every night. Ben sometimes asks for dessert after lunch, which we don't do. We occassionally have cookies and/ or candy, mostly on special occassions.

Ellie has a chocolate tooth already. She likes the good stuff (Valentines day truffles). We don't eat sugary cereal or chips and stuff like. The kids snack on fruit and carrots.

I do feel guilty when I sneak cookies in the kitchen!

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines

#4 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 10:44 AM

I'm a diabetic just waiting to happen... but boy, do i loooooooooove my sweets.... my daughter's taking a field trip to Hersheypark today and my hubby's going to bring me back a bag of Kit Kat bars....

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#5 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 11:44 AM

sugar addict, here.

i seriously have a problem i think! i actually try not to eat sweets every day, but usually cave, especially if i'm in a bad mood.
#6 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot
Where's the end of the hypocrite line?

That said, I try to be careful about what comes in the house, but if it's here, I will eat it....
This is me too. I actually baked a pound cake from a box, which I never do, but it was Trader Joes and had no artificial ingredients, etc in it, so I thought I'd give it a try. It was horrible, and after 2 days of snacking on it, I actually
THREW IT OUT! This is a huge accomplishment for me, as normally I'd just eat the whole thing over the course of a week--dh is not a dessert person, except ice cream and dark chocolate.

I am not totally against sugar. I do let dd have one watered-down juice per day, or an occasional chocolate milk or tiny piece of chocolate. But we don't really eat desserts unless it's a holiday. And yes, I do sneak stuff when she's napping or not looking sometimes....and have been caught by dd with cookie crumbs falling out of my mouth...which she then demands to eat
#7 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 11:59 AM

My teeth are made of sugar. I'm out of control lately. I'm starting a thread on the evils of Girl Guide cookies...
#8 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 12:14 PM

okay, i had to laugh.

: i seriously thought there would be categories for how many times per day. When I saw the everyday choice, I kept scrolling down. Everyday isn't me. More like every hour! Hah!

For me, if you count tea and coffee with sugar then that's 3x day. Plus, I need an afternoon sweet treat and a post-dinner sweet treat. Pathetic, I know. I have to do all this while hiding from my 3yo ds. And they wonder why I have to take so many long walks to get the baby to sleep!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#9 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 02:51 PM

yep loftmama, that is what I did too!! It is bad bad bad. I dont even count the candy bar as sugar, it is so common to my day. Ice cream, yogurt with jelly, jelly beans. I cant have gluten, so that has slowed me down some.
The day before yesterday I woke up with the resolve to cut out sugar, so this is ironic that this poll is here.
#10 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama

okay, i had to laugh.

: i seriously thought there would be categories for how many times per day. When I saw the everyday choice, I kept scrolling down. Everyday isn't me. More like every hour! Hah!

For me, if you count tea and coffee with sugar then that's 3x day. Plus, I need an afternoon sweet treat and a post-dinner sweet treat. Pathetic, I know. I have to do all this while hiding from my 3yo ds. And they wonder why I have to take so many long walks to get the baby to sleep!
It was quite selfish actually. I wanted to get to be in the same category as the once a dayers. Yep, I'm definatley a 3 x a dayer. I just had to make myself feel better.
#11 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 03:08 PM

I must a have sweet everyday just for me

I ususally have one after girls have gone to bed. I stay up doing my thing on puter and have a goody.

There are times when I feel lunch must be topped by a candy bar or some such sweet
#12 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 03:11 PM

I voted about once a week. I can't have sweet stuff in the house or I just eat eat eat it until it's gone!!! Today I am having chocolate chip cookies.
#13 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 03:12 PM

I voted a couple of times a week, but it really varies. I may not have any sweets for a month, and then have ice cream every day for a week or two. My sweets consumption used to be far lower until I moved in with DP...he is addicted and always has candy, cookies, or ice cream in the house.
#14 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 03:22 PM

We love sweets around here. For me, it's ice cream and baked goods. If the poll had "two times a day" as an option I would have chosen that one.

Sometimes an hour or so after dessert, Mr. P-chan will look up and say, "What's for dessert?" And then we'll find something sweet in the kitchen.

It's getting out of control, so we've decided that after Little P's first birthday (at the end of this month) we are going to cut down on desserts that we keep in the house. For example, we're going to try more fruit and sorbets, plus a rule about not baking dessert unless we've got company. Plus, no special trips to the store just to get dessert.

So we're really living it up the last few weeks! I had birthday cake for breakfast this morning.

Has anyone ever read the "No/Low Sugar Support Thread" in the good eating forum? What's up with that?
#15 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 03:31 PM

Would like to joke about my sugar addiction, but it's not amusing to me anymore. Would comment about the pints of ice cream, or eating the fudge sauce out of the jar, or the fact that DH keeps having to say, "But I got those cookies for the kids, not you," and even hides them from me sometimes, or the fact that I keep having chocolate chips in the house meaning to make those cookies with DD that she wants to make, but keep eating the chips out of the package and finishing them before getting a chance to bake with them ... and that sometimes I even raid the box of sugar cubes for a quick fix ... but it's just become too big an issue.

Cnsidering the fact that in the last 7 or so years I've become overweight *for the first time in my life* ... and I do mean seriously overweight, 40+ lbs overweight ... it's not a joke. And considering the fact that in the last 7 or so years I've been pregnant and/or nursing and should have been really being good and careful with my body, instead of caving to a craving ...

Eat a sugar something every day. Several times a day. And wishing I wouldn't.

#16 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 04:22 PM

I know all that sugar's not good - and I'm not just referring to calories! I've heard that it's really bad for your face, too. Supposedly, it really shows up around your eyes and can age you. Dropping it/cutting back is supposed to help your skin look better. I'm all for looking younger/better!

I would be at least 40 lbs bigger if it wasn't for the dang tandem nursing thing. Wow! That must really suck the calories out 'cuz I ain't even trying to be thin and I ain't ever been this thin! So, as much as I wish ds1 wouldn't nurse, I'm enjoying the baggy pants. I feel a need for sweets!

ooops!!! sorry, mamas. this is not renly. this is loftmama. i'm borrowing a friend's computer and didn't think to check the ID.
#17 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 04:29 PM

I did not used to have a sweet tooth, but after the birth of my #2 kid, I am "all about sugar". Esp. chocolate, but any sugar will do. Even lumps of sugar. Even lumps of brown sugar . . .

It is terrible & very unhealthy, but I can't stop myself.
#18 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 05:45 PM

I'm gonna be the oddball. I'm not a sugar person at all. A box of cookies can last a month or more in this house. My kids seem to have inherited it (although they do like ice cream - but a small scoop is plenty or they'll leave it - and like most kids, they will take advantage of candy if it is available). I didn't realize that I wasn't a big sweet person, since my entire family is composed of serious sugar addicts - it wasn't until I moved out that I found that a bag of Hershey's Kisses lasts me a year. My sister's birthday is in December, and we give her our leftover Halloween candy every year so when her friends come over they can snack on it.

Anyway...

I don't know why, I am just not a huge sweets person. If it is available I might eat a little of it, but then I'll get sick of it and whatever is left will sit for weeks before I feel like eating any more.

BTW, if ever you accidentally (or not so accidentally) manage not to eat chocolate for a month or two, it will taste super weird when you try to eat it again (that was a shock).

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#19 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 05:57 PM

Hi.. My name is Dyan.. And I'm a sugar addict.. ( Hi Dyan intones the thread.. )

I have a french vanilla carmel latte everymorning.. So I am not only OD-ing on sugar.. I'm doing it with coffee.. They go together like ramalammalamma kadingety dingdy dong..

I have sugar at least 3x's a day.. I have heard that if you are craving sugar to eat some protein.. I've tried that and SOMETIMES it works, but lots of times.. Not.. I am a sugar junkie.. I just finished my pizza that was lunch and I am already jones-ing for my strawberry cheese cake sandie's cookies.. oh yeah.. I gotta have it..

It's cool though.. I like my addiction.... mmmmm sugar.. aaaarrrlllllgggggaaaa.

Warm Squishy Feelings..

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#20 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 07:24 PM

Quote:
My teeth are made of sugar.
:

fat women in my family have the softest face skin. I love touching them and rubbing my face against theirs. I don't think their sugar issues have aged them, at all. I'm sure genetics plays a huge role in that.

that said, I eat sugar at least 3 times a day. I don't mind, really. unless I'm having yeast issues and have to sit on my hands to keep from eating. actually, I've just taken to drinking gallons of water with each box of cookies. that really helps.
#21 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 07:27 PM

I eat chocolate every day
#22 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 07:27 PM

hiya! once a month checking in

i take no sugar in my coffee or tea, i eat chocolate maybe 4 times a year (that's when i bake a birthday cake for the kids or a friend, or at Pesach). i'm all about savory stuff. when i snack, i love to eat sesame sticks or pretzels with sesame seeds on them instead of salt. if i'm feeling like having something sweet, i'll eat pineapple or banana. i gradually weaned myself off of sugar--i started with 2 tsp of sugar in coffee, then 1, then 1/2, then 1/4. i don't miss it at all, and i feel that i am more able to enjoy the taste of things. i made a 2 layer birthday cake a couple of days ago that called for 1 1/2 cups of sugar, but i only put 3/4, and even that was too sweet
#23 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 07:50 PM

There needs to be more categories! How about 3-5 times a day? I've already had 2.5 danish

Kay

#24 of 24 Old 05-14-2004, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad I'm not alone!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page