• 1 Post By stormborn
  • 1 Post By blessedwithboys
  • 1 Post By spiderdust

#1 of 9 Old 08-20-2015, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Drinking water question

Just wondering what water do you drink? Tap, bottled, filter or something else. We buy water from Sam' Club and dd takes the small bottles to school. We also boil water in a big water boiling device thingy. It's some kind of process in which impurities from the water also get filtered out but very expensive on electricity. I am planning to just drink water straight from the tap or maybe just attach a filter to the kitchen tap. What are your views on that, if any??

TIA.

To welcome an enemy is to take the opportunity to expand my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-21-2015, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
We have well water at home, which is pretty good, safe and refreshing. It's a little high in iron, judging by how frequently I have to clean the toilet, but not as bad as the previous place we lived, about an hour to the north. There, the water was so hard, everyone had to have a softener, and you could actually smell the iron in the water.
That said, we often go to an artesian well that's not too far away, and fill up large jugs for our drinking water. We've done this for years now, and believe this water is absolutely the best we've ever tasted. It is so pure and quenches your thirst like nothing else. Best of all, it's free to whoever wants to pull up and fill their jugs. They only ask for a donation to pay for the testing and upkeep of the pipe.
We are so lucky to have such good water.
In our area, you can take a sample of your water to the local health unit for free testing. Not sure exactly what they test for. Levels of bacteria, and maybe mineral content or heavy metals. Does your region offer such a service? I'd recommend it if you're not sure about your tap water.
pumabearclan likes this.

Last edited by head4thehills; 08-21-2015 at 12:39 PM.
#3 of 9 Old 08-23-2015, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Thanks, I'll check into the testing. It's a pain with so many options and so many different researches for and against the same kind of water.

To welcome an enemy is to take the opportunity to expand my heart

#4 of 9 Old 08-24-2015, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
We drink tap water. We used to filter it but gave that up after our good filter attachment broke. The city sends us a water report every year, and we have safe water.
pumabearclan likes this.

Mom "D"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to DD1 "Z" (17)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#5 of 9 Old 08-24-2015, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Spring water. From a spring in nature.

Last edited by pumabearclan; 08-24-2015 at 09:31 AM.
#6 of 9 Old 09-04-2015, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Tap water here; but we live in a place where it actually tastes fine. We do get spring water when we can though.
pumabearclan likes this.
#7 of 9 Old 09-05-2015, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Tap water can have added fluoride and of course chlorine. I would definitely filter tap water. RO water is no good either, but our well water is completely unpalatable without filtering so we use RO and add mineral drops. Bottled water is an environmental sin, IMO. Drinking water can be something of a damned if you do, dammed if you don't sort of deal.
pumabearclan likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#8 of 9 Old 09-05-2015, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
Tap water can have added fluoride and of course chlorine. I would definitely filter tap water. RO water is no good either, but our well water is completely unpalatable without filtering so we use RO and add mineral drops. Bottled water is an environmental sin, IMO. Drinking water can be something of a damned if you do, dammed if you don't sort of deal.
I couldn't agree more and it's a very important issue I think, I'm even concerned about and filter our shower water.

Some tap water is good, I've looked at studies and quality is incredibly variable. Depends on the sources, the processing, the pipes etc.

Years ago we bought an alembic still. We don't need to use it now but if I didn't have good water source I could prep several gallons daily. The still is part of our emergency kit, just like fire extinguishers and bandages.
#9 of 9 Old 09-05-2015, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
We drink tap water, but use a filter. We also have several reusable water bottles that we take back and forth with us.
pumabearclan likes this.

Mama to Munchkin 
and Chickadee
, co-parent to 3 additional children... plus one on the way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page