20 minute Holiday clean-up, wanna play? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 43 Old 12-12-2004, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Red

Location: in a library, playing games and doing crafts with kids!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I have some serious pre-holiday cleaning to do. My mother always highly recommmended the 20 minute plan, thoug I myself often go for the companys 10 minutes away plan.

So, the 20 minute plan, changed a bit for our enjoyment goes like this;

Pick a spot to clean each day. It can be the same spot every day until progress is made, or a new spot every day for an all-over spiff-up.

You are only allowed to do an extra 20 minutes a day. (Ah, the timer goes off, you quit. This wil usually work with the kids too. You can do another 20 minute session, if you want, but first....)

Your reward! A cup of tea, a hot shower, a walk with the kiddos. Know what your reward is in advance! I don't suggest making the reward a brownie or some cookies, this leads to a whole 'nother thread on weight-management.

If you have little ones, keep your goals small. Pick a managable area, say and end table, clear up the clutter, dust and polish the wood, clean the lamp, vacuum beneath it. If you have more time, do another one. Or do a piece of that kitchen counter. Don't throw everything around and make a bigger mess, throw the trash away immediately, wipe things down right away.

We have a tiny house, 1000 sq ft for 5 of us and my oldest will be home too, so that will make 6. We use an entry way for our living room, no room for a tree there. SO the tree goes in my bedroom. Well, some years we squeeze it somewherer else, but this year, it's in my room. SO today I had to move furniture, vacuum untouched areas, etc. I also 'hide' the gifts in my room, under a blanket. (and there's an exercise bike, a weight machine, a huge dresser, a wardrobe, our queen sized bed, a 6 ft long table for my sewing/writing, two bedside tables, an antique, and some big totes full of fabric, photos, sheets, etc.) Ah, it's going to seem so roomy in there when I take the tree OUT and don't put a bunch of stuff BACK!

So, who wants to join the clean-along? Tomorrow, I'm going to spend my 20 minutes cleaning the table in the living room where we keep our library books and asst other reading materials. It's stacked high with junk, old papers, and needs to be polished and shined up.

What are YOU going to clean???

My reward? Hmmmmmm. After today, I feel I deserve an esp good one. i'll have to think, as I haven't a clue right now.

What's yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 12-12-2004, 07:52 PM

I'm gonna report this post to the mods.

It's sick and wrong and shouldn't be allowed here!

:LOL Course, I'm kidding.
I don't bother. I say if my guests don't like it, the cleaning stuff is above the washer :

banana.gif

#3 of 43 Old 12-12-2004, 08:09 PM

:LOL

Well, dh has been away, so let's just say...the kids and I have some cleaning up to do! Actually, it isn't that bad, and we are doing some decorating, too. I say, "We can't decorate the ________, until we dust or vacume, whatever.." I like the idea of cleaning in stages. I cleaned most of the master bedroom yesterday

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines

#4 of 43 Old 12-12-2004, 11:45 PM

I'll play. Yesterday I sorted *all* the dirty laundry and swept the laundry area. Today, I hung up some garb, put away more kitchen stuff and did some extra laundry. Tomorrow, I need to clean off my desk. :LOL

My reward today was to make pierogi. Tomorrow, I'll do my nails.
#5 of 43 Old 12-12-2004, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll play. I may have to do double duty (20 minutes 2x a day) to get things in line in time before company arrives a week from Wednesday! This sounds like a good way to work. It's manageable to get 20 minutes done at a time.

Thanks for the idea. (Oh, and I'll jump in on the 'exercise' thread when you do that one--I need that very badly!)
#6 of 43 Old 12-14-2004, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter
Red

What idiot thought this up?

Sheesh, how many glasses did I drink before deciding to post this last night? :

So, this morning, I really wanted to skip the 20 minutes, but felt it would be bad form to suck others in and then abandon ship. :LOL Therefore, I reasoned, I would start a hot tub, put the water on for tea, eat an english muffin and marmalade while I cleaned, then jump into the tub. Woo-hoo.

The first jar of marmalade had mold in it. Boo-hoo, threw it out. Grabbed another, couldn't get the cover off. Pried and fought til....BOOP, the cover popped off and sticky orange sunshine went all over the counter and flloor.

No paper towels cause we have a case that no one could 'find' last night. i do a quick mop up, tub is running, chore to be done. Munch muffin, clean quickly. Dog makes odd sound, then :Puke the dog gaks all over the floor.

I finished my muffin, shut off tub, find case of paper towels in DH's drum(?) cleaned floor. Grabbed polish, finished the freaking little table I was trying to clean. Tea is now cold, so I make another cup.

Go in bathroom, strip, thinking longingly of how luscious this will be and step into cold water.

:

So I took a nap.

Have you ever seen how much a professional house cleaner can accomplish in an hour? Well, if we clean for 20 minutes a day like little Stepford wives, from today til Christmas, we'll have cleaned for 3 hours and 40 minutes! I'll be doubling up a few days. I actually cleaned off half of the top of the fridge today too. Yep, 1/2.

Tomorrow, I 'm going to spend my 20 minutes clearing out the laundry room.

My reward will be ...heck, that's the hard part. I'lll figure it out tomoorrow.

What did you get done?

greenluv, you gave me a start!
#7 of 43 Old 12-14-2004, 12:25 AM

I'm in. I'm going to work in the living room, and reward myself with a very long, very hot bath, BY MYSELF, with no one knocking on the door to bother me.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#8 of 43 Old 12-14-2004, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm in, my house looks like a bomb went off. :

Tomorrow I'll spend 20 minutes in the kitchen - need to head the mess off before it becomes sentient. My reward will be a hot bath with a trashy novel.

Chaotic 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 mama to 6

#9 of 43 Old 12-14-2004, 03:08 AM

I'm in too.

I can't decide what to work on (yes, that's part of my problem :LOL) but I suppose my reward will be coming on here. I'll try to stay off tomorrow until then. :
#10 of 43 Old 12-14-2004, 03:12 AM

Great idea - I will try that. It sounds more manageable to work for 20 minutes in one critical spot than to just start cleaning with no ending in site and getting lost in non-important tasks like tiding up papers on the table instead of cleaning the more obvious clutter.

20 minutes is also the max time I get from my toddler at a time anyways...

I will probably need to do 2 - 3 rounds of 20 minutes every day though... I have A LOT of catching up to do.
#11 of 43 Old 12-14-2004, 03:43 AM

Well, I only managed to squeeze in about 15 minutes of scrubbing the kitchen sink while dinner was cooking tonight, but it does look much better. I got the old toothbrush out and did the baking soda thingy, and I also really washed up a pile of recyclables that has been collecting on the counter that nobody wanted to rinse out before they head to the trash. No reward in sight, though--must find chocolate.....mmmmmmm or wine....

I'm thinking of tackling the top of the fridge, too--tomorrow. If you don't hear from me before midnight, call the paramedics and tell them Im sneezing to death--I think I cleaned it once since we moved her in 2000! It has a pile of owner manuals and some radiator keys that came with our (lovely 40+year old) appliances sitting on top, under 1/2 inch of dust (heck, I can't see up there, I'm short !). I never really even wanted them, but I felt like I couldn't throw them away--maybe I'll get the courage up tomorrow to just chuck them.

Will check in tomorrow, hopefully with a better report! Maybe I'll get the laundry table cleaned off, too.

Just thought I'd mention that I've sneezed about 8 times just while writing this! My brain must be thinking too hard about all that dust.... :LOL
#12 of 43 Old 12-15-2004, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
Red

I went to the dump! I had my hot bath first, cause I really needed sosme convincing here. But I hauled to big boxes of sewing patterns to the free store and a giant trash bag of clothes to the free box.

Maybe I'll do the pantry tomorrow.
#13 of 43 Old 12-15-2004, 12:19 AM

Count me in!! Red, this is the exact thing I needed right now. Thank you for torturing us!!!

Ok - so I have moved a few things around, but I haven't actually cleaned today. Its only 6 pm right now, so I can definitely get 20 min tonight. I absolutely have to start with the kitchen sink, because it is totally full - our giant, laundry basin style, 2 sided, 50's sink. So many dishes, so little desire.

Here goes.
#14 of 43 Old 12-15-2004, 12:36 AM

Okay, my house is a disaster since I am moving, so instead of cleaning, I am going to do 30 minutes of packing, sorting, giving away, etc.... each day starting tomorrow. I am not sure what my reward will be....
#15 of 43 Old 12-15-2004, 12:45 AM

Count me in! With exams finishing tomorrow, I will have the time (and energy) to take care of my house once again. During my study breaks today, I did manage to clean my kitchen for about 20-30 minutes. I had stacks of dishes to do.. and the counters were in need of a good scrub.

I think I'll do the laundry room, and spare bathroom tomorrow.

Good luck ladies!

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#16 of 43 Old 12-15-2004, 01:10 AM

Count me in!! Today I steam cleaned my livingroom carpet. Starting tomorrow I will probably do 2 20 minute sessions a day (if not three). Our kitchen counters need cleaned off, I want to go thru the kids toy boxes and take what they dn't want/need to Outreach/Goodwill, throw away the stuff that is broken/missing parts, both bathrooms need good scrubbings, and our bedroom needs serious cleaning it looks like the washer/dryer threw up in it, clothes everywhere!! The older kids need to work on their rooms tomorrow after school. I have no idea how I will reward myself, probably with online time

ETA: I forgot that I spent about 1/2 hr or so with ds #1 going thru all the movies and putting them in the right cases and neating up the shelves that they go on (3 bookcases, stacked two rows deep per shelf), and wrapped about 12 presents today.
#17 of 43 Old 12-15-2004, 01:15 AM

Well, I did it, except that my 20 minutes turned into about 5 hours of cleaning. : I don't know where I got the energy, but thank goodness I accomplished something!

I started on the CD tower, rearranging, putting cd's back into cases, throwing out the cases dd has smashed, locating the ones from the car to put back in their boxes, etc. I moved onto the movies and de-cluttering the TV area, then ended up sorting and pulling a bunch of dd's toys that need to be removed for a month or so (I rotate things out of the room to reduce the clutter).

I ended up wiping the entire living room floor--a really big room!-with my special 'lead remover' nasty phosphate dish soap solution, and went through an entire roll of paper towels (wasteful but that's the way you're supposed to do it so you don't spread lead dust if there is any). I wiped under both couches, all the moldings, windowsills, radiator covers, etc.

Everything is done except the vacuuming of the two area rugs, dusting the TV and one big hutch, which I will not go crazy cleaning. I'll finish that room first thing tomorrow and then maybe I can decorate a little! That will feel really good to do--I need some Christmas spirit!

I'm exhausted, and I just made some brownies to celebrate...think I'll go eat half the batch...I hear my buzzer now. Chocolate calling and dd is yelling "brownies, timer, brownies mommy, brownies daddy!!" over and over...gotta run!!
#18 of 43 Old 12-15-2004, 01:47 AM

This sounds just like flylady! www.flylady.net
I have been trying to kinda follow along her plan for a while, our kitchen sink has been clean for 5 days believe it or not!
#19 of 43 Old 12-15-2004, 01:59 AM

ok - i just found out we're having christmas eve HERE this year. so i have some work to do. I don't know how i'm going to do it. I have two kids (4.5 and 16mos) but i also babysit 2 3yo's four days a week and one 4yo 2 days a week...

at least i'm on vacation from my wahm biz lol. My gifts are bought and wrapped, my cards are sent and the decorating is done. So its all about cleaning. Tomorrow i'm going to clean my desk. its a fire hazard.

then thursday my folks are coming to visit. I'm going to make them play with the kids while i do the pantry! lol

i'm going to make my dh do our shower and teen dd do the hall bathtub (cuz i did the counters, toilets, sinks and floors on monday)

one thing at a time, eh?
#20 of 43 Old 12-15-2004, 12:29 PM

Wow Gardenmom, you sure were busy! Enjoy those brownies because you sure deserve them.

I hope I can find that motivation today.

#21 of 43 Old 12-15-2004, 01:31 PM

This sounds like a good idea! I need some sorta motivation and this just might do it. Hmmmmm.........I think my goal will be two 20 minute "extra" cleanings a day. I think today I'll target the 3 baskets of clothes that are folded & have been waiting to be put away for over a week now & finding the computer desk underneath all the papers & clutter. And I shall reward myself with reading a chapter in my book. I'll have to report back tomorrow to see how well I did.
#22 of 43 Old 12-15-2004, 03:35 PM

Well - I did ok last night. I did a load of dishes and wiped all the counters down. Today I am going to focus on my ds's room. it is a MESS!!!!! Of course, we just moved into this house 3 weeks ago, so we are still settling, but their room is now dangerous.

oh, and my reward was watching Return Of The King - extended - until I finally fell asleep.
#23 of 43 Old 12-16-2004, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
Red

So, today i;
went to the grain store
fed the dog, cats, goats, fish
drove carpool 18 miles each way
picked up daughter with schedule that caused missed bus, 18 miles
took daughters out to dinner and xmas shopping (Found great stuff, I'm easily amused! )

I cut out a pair of flannel pj pants to sew up for dh's xmas

did dishes, vaccuumed, folded laundry...

But I forgot to do my chore! : : :

Can you imagine!

20 lashes with a wet noodle for me, and then a piece of chocolate for struggling through.

Tomorrow, I'll do better! I'll actually CLEAN something.

For anyone who cares, my own personal rule is that I clean somewhere that won't become instantly dirty again. I don't do dishes, or make beds or sweep the kitchen floor, cause I have to do those things anyway. (Ok because I'm just goingt to sleep inthe bed, and make it messy, so I just skip it altogether.. )
I might wash the floor, cause you don't need to do that every day. Or clean a corner of a room, totally.

So, here's to trying again. Good luck!
#24 of 43 Old 12-16-2004, 01:44 AM

I accomplished my goal of cleaning the laundry room and spare bathroom today, along with 3 final exams!

To reward myself I bought a bag of M&Ms and watched "You've Got Mail." Now, I'm going to bed early.

Tomorrow: I'll work on the living room.

#25 of 43 Old 12-16-2004, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
So, today i;
went to the grain store
fed the dog, cats, goats, fish
drove carpool 18 miles each way
picked up daughter with schedule that caused missed bus, 18 miles
took daughters out to dinner and xmas shopping (Found great stuff, I'm easily amused! )

I cut out a pair of flannel pj pants to sew up for dh's xmas

did dishes, vaccuumed, folded laundry...

But I forgot to do my chore! : : :

Can you imagine!

20 lashes with a wet noodle for me, and then a piece of chocolate for struggling through.

Tomorrow, I'll do better! I'll actually CLEAN something.

For anyone who cares, my own personal rule is that I clean somewhere that won't become instantly dirty again. I don't do dishes, or make beds or sweep the kitchen floor, cause I have to do those things anyway. (Ok because I'm just goingt to sleep inthe bed, and make it messy, so I just skip it altogether.. )
I might wash the floor, cause you don't need to do that every day. Or clean a corner of a room, totally.

So, here's to trying again. Good luck!
I should wash my floor everyday but I don't but then all 5 of my kids are younger than your youngest.

I didn't get as much as I wanted done yesterday. Dh and I both spent probably 20 mins decluttering are bedroom, other than that I just did my normal picking up, dish washing, sweeping, laundry.

Today I had to do some Christmas shopping, came home to wrap them. The kids have crap all over the floor so as soon as dh gets off the phone I will have to clean that up then I need to do 3 20 minute sessions on something constructive. Tomorrow dh gets paid and we have to go pick up all the stuff we have in layaway then I will probably spend several hours wrapping all of it. So I probably won't get much else done tomorrow.
#26 of 43 Old 12-17-2004, 02:32 AM

Today I spent about 20 minutes organizing the living room. I took all the magazines and clutter out from under the coffee table to recycle, and I organized all the cassettes, dvds, and cds. Since I didn't do this until late, I will vacuum tomorrow and clean off the stairs. The stairs are a dumping ground it seems.

Oh, and to treat myself tonight.. I took a long hot bath with bubbles and lathered myself with good smelling lotion afterwards.

#27 of 43 Old 12-17-2004, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Red

Well, I folded lots and lots of laundry, but that pantry ain't gettin done! I must really not want to do that.

Today, I'm cleaning the living room and I think chocolate is the right reward.

Flylady made me nuts! All that junk e-mail to read and delete, I never got anything done!
#28 of 43 Old 12-17-2004, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Flylady made me nuts! All that junk e-mail to read and delete, I never got anything done!
Agreed. Flylady drove me nuts as well. I couldn't keep up with the email, let alone the cleaning! This 20 minute idea is a lot more managable, and the idea of a good reward is always a helper.

#29 of 43 Old 12-17-2004, 02:56 PM

Yesterday I scrubbed the outside of our stove. That was enough, and took more than 20 minutes. I will buy a new stove before I ever clean the inside of the oven (no kidding).

I did several loads of laundry and we got some decorating done, too, but the stove is the only thing that counts as 'extra'. I'm impressed with all of you getting stuff wrapped early..I usually leave that until Christmas eve, or I lose track. When dd is old enough to know how to snoop around the house looking for gifts I'll probably change my attitude about that, though
#30 of 43 Old 12-17-2004, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmom
Yesterday I scrubbed the outside of our stove. That was enough, and took more than 20 minutes. I will buy a new stove before I ever clean the inside of the oven (no kidding).

I did several loads of laundry and we got some decorating done, too, but the stove is the only thing that counts as 'extra'. I'm impressed with all of you getting stuff wrapped early..I usually leave that until Christmas eve, or I lose track. When dd is old enough to know how to snoop around the house looking for gifts I'll probably change my attitude about that, though
My kids are older (11,10,9 &4,2) and woukld definately snoop and find stuff if I didn't wrap everything as I bought it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page