Did you have AC while growing up? Do you have it now? Can you live without it? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes
I think people are quite wasteful with it. Like keeping the house at 70 degrees when it's 95 outside? How is that helpful?

Plus, it makes acclimating to the temp outside totally impossible. I hate that clammy AC feeling while inside, and hate the misery of then going outside.
:
I hate going into a place in the middle of a hot day and freezing! I'm sorry but sweaters are for cold weather, overcooled AC doesn't count, it's just a huge waste of resources.
AC is basically non-existent here and it's fine. A few summers ago I was in the States when it was very hot and humid and after about two days of going back and forth between ACed businesses and non ACed mom's house dd and I both had terrible colds.
As for the op, I never had it as a kid, occasionally as an adult but not anymore. I can definitely live without it. If I did have it I'd be one of those moms that is "weird" about it.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 09:41 AM

We didn't have it growing up. Our summers were spent in our backyard pool. Dh and I didn't have it until 2 years ago! 2 summer pregnancies (dd born in Sept. and ds, Aug.). We have a window unit in the bedroom, and ac in our van. There are many very humid days in the summer where we use it a little during the day to "chill out" upstairs. Our yard is actually pretty shady.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#33 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 10:21 AM

We didn't have it when I was growing up...I think my parents eventually got a window unit for their bedroom, but we just used fans. Heat didn't bother me too much.

We have central now and it's been in the high 90s and super humid this weekend and I'm glad we do. We keep it at about 75. I'd probably fare OK without it, but DH gets super-cranky when it's this hot. We fight about AC use in the summer, but have reached a compromise that we only turn it on when it's 88 or hotter. I'm kind of a open window and fans woman...I like to feel that it's summer after the freezing NE winters, KWIM?

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#34 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 10:41 AM

I grew up in Jamaica, we didn't have electricity until I was 14 or 15. Then we had a light bulb. :LOL It was a huge deal when we got our first fans.
Never had a/c in Jamaica, and it was bearable. We kept the windows and doors open all day, and we were hardly ever inside anyway. We spent most of the time in the yard or on the verandah. We got up early to clean the house before it got hot, and spent the rest of the day outside.
I find Miami to be much, much hotter than Jamaica ever was. We have window units in the bedrooms, so we only turn them on to sleep, set at 76. It's much nicer to sleep in the cool air! but I don't mind the heat during the day. Luckily this house is an old Bahamian house, they knew how to build to combat heat and hurricanes. If I open the windows and the front and back doors, it's not so bad.
When I was pregnant with my youngest, born in July in Miami, I was hot all the time! I used to crank the a/c on the coldest setting, put a fan in front of it, and lay there butt nekkid under the air. Poor dh was freezing, wrapped up in a comfortor and in thermal underwear. He'd try to snuggle up to me to get warm, and I'd push him away, "Get off me! I'm HOT!" :LOL
#35 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Banned

Had it as a kid, limited to my parents bedroom when I was *very* young (they would let us camp out when it was running) and then in the livingroom when I was a bit older, later on we had two window units and open doors upstairs and a big monster unit that cooled the entire downstairs.

My mom is hot blooded and I think she was one of the first people with AC (in 1960)

We have almost always had window units in the bedrooms (again, camping out) but we got central ac two years ago and I say a prayer of thanksgiving every summer day (I inhereted my mom's hotbloodedness.)

I would rather give up winter heat than summer cool.

Debra Baker
#36 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 11:16 AM

I grew up in south jersey and we had AC. When I went to college there was no AC. We live in South Eastern NC now and we have a window unit. It barely works. Either the room w/ it is extremely cold and the rest of the house is comfortable, or the room w/ it is comfortable and the rest of the house is warm. We usually just leave it off and limit our clothes!!! We don't use our car's AC, unless it is a real scorcher. We welcome fresh air and summer coastal breezes. But, it does get pretty hot arounds here at times!

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
#37 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 11:18 AM

Didn't have it growing up, and lived by a major highway on the third floor above a gas station- it was HOT!

Now I have it, and loooooooooooove it! If that thing ever broke, I'd stay with the in laws till it was fixed!

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#38 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStateMama
I'm kind of a open window and fans woman...I like to feel that it's summer after the freezing NE winters, KWIM?
Me too!

We never had a/c growing up in Mass, lots of fans and always ceiling fans! (plus we had a pool, which probably made it a little easier to deal with )

When we lived in brooklyn, some years we had a window unit in the living room, always one in our bedroom, but we would wait as long as humanly possible before putting them in, often not until mid to late July, but eventually being on the 4th floor would get to be too much!

Now we live RIGHT on the coast in CT (like a 5 minute walk to the beach) and have lots of nice big old trees on our street that give good shade to different parts of the house. It is usually at least 10 degrees cooler at my house than it is just 3 or 4 miles inland We moved in last july and never installed our window units, haven't yet this year either. We have ceiling fans in almost every room (except our BR...that will change this year!) and use standing fans on really hot days.

I absolutely hate the closed up feeling of an a/c'd house. I love that literally every window in my house is open. I can hear my neighbor mowing his lawn, my curtains are blowing in the breeze...what can I say...I love living near the beach!

Oh yeah...what's a "swamp cooler"?
#39 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:45 PM

My father had AC in his bedroom while I was growing up. My sister and I didn't have AC or even fans in our bedrooms.

My DD runs really hot, like DH. She has slept with AC in her bedroom since she was a baby (only in summer; that's the only time it's necessary here).

It would be impossible to sleep without it in our house. The second floor gets unbearably hot during the day in summer, and it never cools off at night. It is in the 90s up there, even at night when it has cooled-off outside.
#40 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:59 PM

when I was wee little in the East, we did not have it.
We moved to AZ in the last 60s & everyone has either Evap Coolers or AC
Now I'm in PA, we have room AC in every room - I do not like to be hot & B/f'ing

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#41 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 01:59 PM

We got it when I was around 12 - and we never looked back because SC summers are absolutely MISERABLE without A/C. My husband is from Southern California, and we went out to see his parents (who do not have central air) last September, and both of us were MISERABLE (in fact, if we go back during the summer from now on, we are getting a hotel room) At this point, I'd say there's no going back to an A/C free world for us.
#42 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 02:29 PM

No When I was a kid we opened windows each night and cooled the house down. Come morning we closed the house up. Its stayed stayed so cool you couldnt wear shorts in the house :LOL

Dh and i do the same thing but our house isnt insualated except for the master bedroom so it gets hot come afternoon.

We have fans but no AC

When we go visit the inlaws we have them leave the ac on becuase their place doent cool down at night and we cant sleep in the heat. We are spoiled but Idaho cool nights
#43 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 03:50 PM

We never had it when I was little, even in Sarasota, FL. I don't remember wanting it. We were outside so much anyway. We never knew my sister was a brunette until we moved north. She was born in fl and her hair had been sun-bleached from birth. :LOL

I think a lot depends on your house type. The summer we finally got ac, I was 16. I just remember all 4 of us kids spending our days lying on the floor in the living room, trying not to move in the heat.

Now we have it, I wouldn't give it up!
#44 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 04:12 PM

Never had AC ever...I don't actually know anyone in the UK that has it in their home, but newer cars seem to have it - not mine though. It has been in the 90's here this week (predicted to get even warmer over the next few months) and as the summers are getting hotter I have notice AC units for sale for the first time ever...Many stores over here have no AC and most work places don't either. I hate the heat and actually bought a fan which is a first for me!
#45 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 04:50 PM

Never had it growing up. We have a window unit now, we've run it about 4 days? so far this season.
Try really hard not to, but B-more summers are a really @#$%&.
Kaly
#46 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 04:53 PM

no a/c growing up, no a/c now. however, it only gets really hot here a few weeks out of the year, so it's not really necessary. (of course, it sure would be nice to have it those few weeks!)

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#47 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 05:09 PM

Grew up in Oregon and had a HUGE A/C unit that my parents would set in the main hallway going intot he family room. It was awesome.

Now live in North Carolina and could not, and would not live without it! Afterall it's not the heat, it's the humidity!
#48 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 05:12 PM

Wanted to add that, I prefer days that I can open the windows to air the house out and get a nice breeze running through.
#49 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Banned

grew up with it, have it now, but could live without it. set at 78
#50 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 06:44 PM

We had window units when I was growing up, and we ended up getting central air somewhere in my early teens. We have central air in our home now. Could we survive without it? Well, somewhere around 300 people in my area die every year from heat, and the majority of those are in their homes, so nope. It only gets down to the upper 70s here at night, so it doesn't cool down enough. Temps are in the 90s the whole time the sun is out, and it's very humid with little wind. I would move before I would live here without A/C.
#51 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 07:18 PM

No, we didn't have it growing up. I wish we did. The humidity in CT can be awful.

Could I live without it now? I do in our house, but at almost 7,000ft it's so dry that I don't miss it. If we lived back in CT I COULD live without but I wouldn't want to. Esp. at night. Heat I can take, humidity? Forget it.
#52 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 07:37 PM

I live just outside of chicago, so I totally know what you mean. Yes I had it growing up, yes I have it now, and no I couldn't imagine summer without it!
#53 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 08:00 PM

Kris~ I so envy you! I will now spend my days dreaming about living where you are, high in the mountains...ah.....

Right now our A/c is cranked up high. It is only about 70 but the humidity is killing me. I was going to help Dh with the yard, but I pansied out. Or maybe it was the 7 hours I spent this monring spring cleaning...
#54 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
but we have it now. we try to live without it but it comes on when it hits the upper eighties. I try to have windows open at night, and closed in daytime to trap cool air from night, and use fans all to minimize the use of AC.
#55 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We didn't have AC when I was growing up. But now we have a couple room units. I demanded them w/my last pregnancy! I swear, the older I get & the more babies I have, the more trouble I have handling the heat.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#56 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 08:39 PM

I did have it growing up. We live in Louisiana (hot and humid) and I can't imagine what it would be like without it. Well, actually I can imagine. It was broken a couple of weeks ago and it was miserable!
#57 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 09:45 PM

I'm another that sometimes we did and sometimes we didn't (can't have AC if you don't have electricity, you know?)

We have it now, but I could live without it. Yes, even when it's 100 degrees which it has been the last couple of days (we bought a pool pass ) It's uncomfy, especially at night to sleep, but it's doable.
#58 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One thing about AC-- we lived in Southern Italy, where it was unheard of-- people learned to live a little slower and smarter, like shading their homes, taking a nap in the afternoon, drying clothes outside, not running their ovens in the middle of the day, having cool beverages on hand, et cetera.

Those sorts of basic coping skills seem kind of lost in mainstream America, when you CAN crank up the AC till people need sweaters.

I refused to turn on the air conditioning in Missouri, and my ex thought I was insane... he did finally get used to it, but not till our workplace had its AC break down for over a month. It's an acclimation thing, for the most part, YK?
#59 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
We had A/C in 2 bedrooms growing up- I slept in my brother's room on hot nights. Since I was 10, we've had central air conditioning (minus a couple of years of window units only when we bought our first house in Baltimore.)

I'm sure I COULD survive without A/C, but I don't think I'd function very well. Not that I function very well anyway, but I think I'd be doing a whole lot worse.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#60 of 75 Old 06-26-2005, 10:50 PM

I run hot. My dh calls me the "human generator". It's even worse now, oh, for about 5 years...since I first got pregnant with dd1, I've been pregnant or nursing ever since (expecting #3 in August) and I am HOT HOT HOT all the time. Sweaty hot.

Grew up with a/c. I take after my dad. He loves it chilly. My mom is always cold, but she's as thin as a stick (another story...body image challenged). My mom wears a sweater no matter what season it is, and my dad doesn't even keep the temp that low (75).

Even in winter I have to sleep in a room with the heat off. My dh says it's as cold as a meat locker, meanwhile I'm throwing the covers off!

I could not deal w/o a/c. Dd2 was born the night before the Big Blackout (8/03) and the hospital wouldn't let me go home with her until they knew our apt. had power back up and a/c. while I hated being in the hospital, I knew I wasn't going home to no a/c. No way, no how.

When we haven't had it (most of our abodes haven't had central air anyway and in college and right after not even window units) I would take freezing cold showers right before going to bed and then aim the fan directly at myself on the bed.

Our house now doesn't have central, but because it's very open and very tall, we actually only have to operate 1 window unit on each floor (we have a tall old victorian with a basement, main floor, second floor, and finished attic) and the ceiling fans keep things cool. Actually in the basement we never turn it on, it's always cool; in the attic we turn it on when we're up there which is not that often (it's a 4th bedroom but right now we just use it for the videos).

Actually the idea of a cold shower sounds great about now on my swollen feet...

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page